Pteria Times Two: ICPGC harvest.

SteveM

It's been a Pearl Summer…

The Saturday night reception at Pearl Paradise during ICPGC (International, Consequential Pearl-Guide Conference) last month offered pearl-viewing opportunities galore, as expected. Unexpected was the attendance of Jeremy Norris, natural pearl hunter extraordinaire, who just happened to be utilizing Pearl Paradise's photo equipment (and Natalie's excellent eye) to shoot a couple of rare pieces he had just finished for an upcoming publication.

One of the pieces stole my eyes and heart: A graduated baroque strand of 42 natural pearls, approximately one-third from Mexico's Pteria Sterna ('rainbow lip'), the other two-thirds coming from Pteria Penguin, originating in Indonesia and the Philippines. Two Pinctada Maxima gems are included for good measure. Jeremy had spent the previous 18 months collecting and certifying the pearls, finally drilling them and stringing with a handmade platinum and diamond clasp by Santa Barbara's Monili Jewelers.

Striking uniqueness, and the concept of bridging the Pacific from the Eastern and Western extremes to unite this piece with our poe pipi items for a 'Pan-Pacific' collection proved irresistible.

I was shooting over Natalie's shoulder and came home with the shot on the left, which served to prolong the enticement. I didn't take long in deciding to enter the sweepstakes with other interested parties.

On the right is Natalie's shot, which I promised not to post until we received the necklace. It arrived today from Pearl Paradise, it's my wife's birthday, and all is well in the world!

We have christened the piece Pteria Times Two.

From the GIA Certificate:

• 42 pearls, gross weight 39.5 grams.
  • Pearl sizes: Largest 17.03mmX14.8mmX8.38mm, smallest 8.38mmX6.23mmX5.46mm.
  • Natural Saltwater pearls

Attachments

• PteriaPost01.jpg
    PteriaPost01.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Pteria Times Two with my wife's similarly unique bracelet of Sea of Cortez keshis (and a couple of close-ups of the platinum clasp).

Attachments

• PteriaPost02.jpg
    PteriaPost02.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 52
OH MY! I am speechless. Just fantastic. What a great opportunity for you to add to your world class collection.

Yay! That necklace deserved to go home with you and Almudena! ;)

So I guess the beautiful conch strand will be an anniversary present?

Beautiful pearls Smetzler.... a nice addition to your collection.

One for the ages!

One for the ages!

Pteria Times Two with my wife's similarly unique bracelet of Sea of Cortez keshis (and a couple of close-ups of the platinum clasp).

Steve,

Because it is unique, that necklace will be in art history books two centuries from now, probably sooner. Except in the Persian Gulf--where sheikhs collect perfect rounds for their vaults like Native Americans collected wampum--I believe the boredom factor with perfect rounds will soon tilt the market toward baroque fashion for an era; and a man could spend a lifetime finding such material.

Great acquisition.

Best,
Tom

Steve,

Because it is unique, that necklace will be in art history books two centuries from now, probably sooner. Except in the Persian Gulf--where sheikhs collect perfect rounds for their vaults like Native Americans collected wampum--I believe the boredom factor with perfect rounds will soon tilt the market toward baroque fashion for an era; and a man could spend a lifetime finding such material.

Great acquisition.

Best,
Tom

Exactly! :)

Thanks to all, especially for the birthday wishes, which are duly communicated and appreciated!

Regarding conchs and round pearls, I would concur that our collection tends to represent 'discoveries'—pearls just eccentric enough to keep them out of the mainstream (yes, I also regard conchs as mainstream, given their established and highly liquid clientele). This offers the dual benefit of singularity and relative value.

Jeremy's conch strand was unbelievable in its perfection and range of colors, and almost as much so for being perfectly drilled (calcareous pearls a notorious risk for breakage) by Jeremy himself.

We are certainly interested in conch pearls, but I am going to need to run across a single large pearl with perfect shape, color and flame (such as the pearl in my thread 'King Conch'), at a fraction of full retail value. The strand, however rare and beautiful, could be taken at a glance for cut shell or coral—perhaps for no other reason than difficulty in believing it is real.

I have a pretty good photo of that strand but posting would need to remain Jeremy's privilege (either Jeremy, as Pearl Paradise is the seller), or the strand's eventual owner.

Last edited:
What a beautiful necklace! Happy Belatated Birthday to Almudena and congratulations to both of you on such a fabulous strand of pearls!

A belated gasp of appreciation for that gorgeous necklace, Steve. Your wife is one lucky lady.

Sheri

Wow, that's beautiful! Happy birthday to your wife! And, on behalf of Blaire, Pattye and lil' ol' me, you got any brothers?

Steve,

Many happy years with Almudena!
The necklace and the bracelet are gorgeous !

Thanks, Nora?and Sheri, my pearl show-and-tell neighbor at ICPGC (still planning to send you that project!).

Here we are last evening at Seattle's Space Needle for the occasion (we helped Almudena's Mom celebrate her 90th in Toledo last month?).

Attachments

• SpaceNeedle.jpg
    SpaceNeedle.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 44
Almudena is wearing the necklace! LOVE IT!!! And Mom looks like a very young 90! Great photo, even without the insert. ;)

I'd like to echo everyone else's admiration for this exquisite necklace. I would do anything to be able to view this piece in person during the next show-and-tell ICPGC... if you plan to present.

Congratulations :)

Back