Pearl Earrings

Christy2772

I recently received a pearl necklace as a gift, and I want to purchase earrings to wear with it.

My first concern is that the style of the necklace can me look much older (I'm 23) and want earrings that don't add years. I'm new to pearls, so I'm hoping someone has some tips for me. You can see my pearl necklace here: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9590

My other concern is that the necklace is very nice, and I don't want the earring pearls to look bad/odd next to it. Here are a few options I found on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Freshwater-Cu..._sbs_jw_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=09MR7DHYNBFJT0PNZPV4

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Fresh...qid=1425782224&sr=1-9&keywords=pearl+earrings

http://www.amazon.com/Classical-Ste...id=1425782224&sr=1-31&keywords=pearl+earrings

What do you think of these? Do you have favorite places to shop for pearl earrings?

Thanks

Christy,

You have a good idea, going with something other than a traditional white matching stud earring will give a "younger" look.

Any earrings you already have with a round theme, such as a silver or gold hoop, gemstone stud or dangle, could compliment nicely. Black is a nice contrast to pearls, such as black onyx? What type of earrings do you favor? Do you have Diamond or cz studs?

Do you have a budget you want to stick with? Most of the graded earrings will be a bit higher price from the sellers that we will recommend.
Of the earrings you showed, I think the cluster is delightful, and I also like the bottom one, with the strong silver presence. The leverback drops could be great, but there is a chance the pearls might not match each other well. Of course, "there's a head in between."

Just throwing out some thoughts, I'm sure others MUCH younger and more fashionable than I will chime in soon~lol

Last edited:
Not much younger, Christy, but I would vote for #3. They will go with everything and can be dressy or casual!

I would opt for #2, as I believe a simple dangling drop-shape style is easier to wear.

#1 is too grand for daily wear, and #3 would make a face look wider due to the round button-shaped pearl, IMHO.

DK :)

I would wear #1 for daily use and like that best :) For more designs along these lines, I would look at Etsy.com

- Karin

Without wanting to throw a dampener into your parade, remember that eBay, Alibaba and Amazon type sellers are competing on price. So don't expect the finest. With pearls you generally get what you pay for.

Your necklace has very nice luster and I'm concerned that you may find that lower-end pearl earrings will not have such nice luster. I have bought such earrings in the past and been disappointed-- after all, pearls are all about luster.

Of the three you mentioned, I like the grape cluster ones best.

I have a suggestion-- what about getting something like these charms and hanging them from a hoop earring?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/214841...age=1&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Many vendors (including this one) on Etsy take custom orders, so you could vary the size and shape of the pearl, color of the metal etc.
If you prefer yellow metal, 14K gold-filled is very durable.

I really like the grape cluster look, and have a similar pair in pink. I think they're casual and playful. However, I agree that you "get what you pay for". Mine were more expensive, but I can't find the jeweler for you to consider. She may have gone out of business. She used to advertise in the New Yorker magazine, which is where I found the original listing. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find the website for you.

grape cluster earrings.jpg

Hmmm, found it, but it looks like she's on hiatus:

http://www.katehinesjewelry.com/

I would start with your budget...figure out how much you are willing to spend, and then try to find the highest quality pearl earring that will fit within it...I find that, as someone else mentioned, you get what you pay for with pearls. Pearl Paradise and the other vendors will all work with you directly. You can email them, let them know your budget, metal preferences, and share photos of your strand. They will give you options (they have many more pearls than what are listed on their site), send you photos to approve, and you will have a beautiful pair of earrings. If you are looking for relatively inexpensive, quality without too much risk (can be returned) check out Honora on QVC...but honestly, you will get a nicer pearl for the price (usually) with the vendors mentioned.

That grape cluster style is pretty straightforward...hook earrings, chain, head pins and some full drilled pearls

Yes-- and it's actually easy to make the grape clusters yourself.

Materials:
Ear wire or leverback finding
26 gauge head pins (fine)
A bit of chain to hang down from the finding; has to have links big enough to allow the head pin through.
small pearls to wire wrap to the chain in clusters

tools:
round nose pliers
wire cutters

See YouTube for all sorts of jewelry making videos.

I'm in the minority...I don't like the grapes. My vote would be #3, or as an alternative, wear a pair of simple hoop earrings in the same tone as the clasp. Or I'd suggest a drop shape pearl on a simple shepherd hook, as it is a less formal look.

I'm with you cmd2014, I like the hoop idea or diamond studs. I just don't feel that pearls ever look dated no matter what age is wearing them. I recently remodeled a free gift from Helzberg, a set of three colored pearl drops. They all were on a shepherd hook so I switched them jump ring. I wear pearls a lot and my DD who is 24 years rarely comments on my pearls. She took notice to these on my diamond hoops and was interested in wearing them shock. I would recommend a white pearl more round.

IMG_7092.jpg

Christy2772, there are a lot of fine suggestions here, and you have some good examples yourself. The pearl strand you were given is absolutely classic, fine and lovely; you will be able to wear that for the rest of your life. For a classic, but updated look, I'd most favor a simple unadorned yellow or white gold or sterling silver hoop, with a nice round or drop white pearl charm on, that coordinates well with your necklace. Matching the metal color might matter more to you if you wear your hair up or down, or what other color metal jewelry you wear. Should you decide to go for a better grade of pearl, any of the vendors here would be happy to look at the photos of your necklace, and make some suggestions for earrings to coordinate, that would be age appropriate now, yet wearable as you and your necklace grow :) A fun dilemma to solve ... please do come back and let us know what you finally decide :)

I am interested in looking at better, good-quality pearls (I tend towards the cheaper ones because I am new to pearls and spending less money seems like less of a risk.) I think I'm convinced that that isn't the way to go :). I don't know about how much what I'm thinking of would cost, but preferably it'd be under $100, max $200. Am I in the right ball park for what I'm thinking below? I hesitate to put down a number, because I think I still need to learn a lot more about pearls.

Anyway, so after reading all the feedback, I am thinking about a custom made pair, similar in style to these:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/851730...auto1&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

http://www.ebay.ph/itm/GW-Lovely-7-...169?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33775b7b69

I think I want to get 14K gold filled lever back pearl earrings like these, with good quality pearls to go with the necklace. I like that its a simpler version of the grape cluster - should be lighter. I also hoping they would be wearable for more casual situations and are more modern? I'm going to look back at earlier posts for suggestions on places to get these made (I remember someone mentioning it).

What do you think of these ones? Do you like a solid wire or the chain look better? I like the clean lines of the solid wire, and the length and movement of the chain.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I really like the solid head pins! I have some earrings with 3 chains like your second example, and while they are comfortable, sometimes the 3 little chains tangle with each other as I move.

Gold filled is not expensive. I would think you could easily stay within your budget.

This is fun! I like the KGarner rigid headpins also. I have earrings with early RiceKrispie pearls on wire. Lightweight and stable, they aren't distracting or wobbly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 44
Sorry about the wrinkly earlobe. I also love the blossom earrings (pearl paradise) for a youthful look.
here are the dangles without the wrinklies :)

Oh, my point is, how about baroque shapes?

(the metal on the earrings isn't dirty or corroded, it's reflecting something dark, don't know what.

Attachments

• Tourmaline / diamond ring 1
    Tourmaline / diamond ring 1
    17.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Back