Dyed freshwater pearls?

Tiger

Hello everyone! I've recently jumped headlong into the pearl pool. I've loved them for years but never was confident in what I was buying. I recently found this forum and am taking the Pearls as One course. I'm trying to get educated so I really appreciate this lovely community. I'd appreciate your opinions please.

I purchased this necklace yesterday at a local consignment store. They were described as freshwater pearls with a sterling silver clasp by a jewelry designer named Gay Harrison. I have emailed her to get any background but I haven't heard back from her yet.

There are 3 18-inch strands with offset drilled pearls with no knots between them. With the clasp, it measures 20 inches. The clasp has 925 on the back and the stones look like amethysts. The clasp reminds me of something I'd see from Taxco. The pearls 'feel' right - cool to the touch and silky. I'm still not sure I understand the teeth-rubbing bit. :)

I paid $129 so I don't think I got a great deal but I don't think I messed up either. I think the pearls are dyed freshwater baroque. There a bunch of different colors and shapes. How did I do? Thanks!

Dyed freshwater pearls?Dyed freshwater pearls?Dyed freshwater pearls?

You got it right-- dyed cultured freshwater pearls from China, and I think you are probably right about the amethyst as well.

The pearls are tissue nucleated-- no bead inside to make them round-- so they are solid nacre, and very durable. The dye is stable.
You should get many years of use out of them!

The quality of the pearls is nicer than many dyed FWP I've seen. I'd say you did okay!

You got it right-- dyed cultured freshwater pearls from China, and I think you are probably right about the amethyst as well.

The pearls are tissue nucleated-- no bead inside to make them round-- so they are solid nacre, and very durable. The dye is stable.
You should get many years of use out of them!

The quality of the pearls is nicer than many dyed FWP I've seen. I'd say you did okay!
Thank you very much!

I heard back from the jewelry designer. She was very nice. She confirmed that the clasp was handmade from India using amethysts.

@BWeaves - yes, me too! The offset pearls work nicely for twisting. I've worn it twisted with the clasp in center front.

What a pretty strand, the uniformity of the ovals and the depth of color is great. It will match so many nice fall colors...blues/purples/greens, etc. The clasp is lovely too, and such a nice accent to the purple in the pearls. The most important thing about any pearl (or jewelry) purchase is not so much what you paid, but how much YOU like the strand and the clasp. Jewelry is a personal thing, however, it is just so much more fun when you can share it with like-minded pearly people. We would love to see you wearing it on the Show Us Your Pearls thread.

Back