Once in a Lifetime: The Sinkankas Symposium on Pearls!

Since I am speaking on the history of pearls, I may wear some antique pearl pins.

Under the heading of TMI: I didn't think that through. The antique pins may be in the "missing key box" or they may be in my other box. A year or two before I moved away from Mom's house in 2011, I got a safe deposit box in her area and I still had it so she could use it. Now, I put some of my stuff back in it because it's the only one I can use. My life is too complicated!

I remember right before we were going out of town a couple of years ago, I saw my box keys in my purse and wanted to lighten the load. I put them somewhere in Mom's house and they have never shown up. She tends to move her stuff around and throw items together in boxes or bins to go through in the future. Adding to that, she swapped the furniture in my room, so all the storage cubbies and bookcase boxes were moved out.

This is what happens to the daughter of an acquisitive collector of things. Not only am I faced with drilling the box, but I am missing about 1/4 of my jewelry from the days I hid things in the house. I hid them too well! I need a forensic search of everything in both houses.

Does this happen to any of you? I'd like to think I'm not the only one. :)

It used to happen, especially after I moved something from the location where it was stored for years to a new location. Then I took a tip from my late father.

When I was cleaning out my parents' house in FL after Dad died, I came across a binder in which he detailed where important things could be found in his house. Everything from appliance instruction manuals to documents.

I now have a document on my computer where I write the new storage location of items I move when reorganizing. If I hide anything, the location gets recorded right away.

Ironically the one thing I could not find when cleaning his house was the 2nd safe deposit box key, so we had to pay the fee to have the lock replaced when we closed out the box. I eventually came across the missing key among the things we brought back to CT, but too late! :rolleyes:

My unsolicited advice: bite the bullet, pay the fee, get access to your box. Then record where you keep the new keys.

I had to give Mom my key because she lost hers for the box I can get into. Many years ago if you had a key there was a fee to replace it. I hate to think I have to pay twice.

Your Dad was brilliant. I did show Mom the three places I might hide jewelry, but I wonder how she would do if I tested her on her memory.

I had to give Mom my key because she lost hers for the box I can get into. Many years ago if you had a key there was a fee to replace it. I hate to think I have to pay twice.

So, which costs more, getting a new key, or replacing all that jewelry that you can’t access? You can’t enjoy it if you can’t wear it.

That's what I think too.

So I just called my local bank and asked what it would cost. The bank employee said if only the key is missing it would be $25 but if they have to drill it out it's $150. I expect in your situation they would have to drill it out if both keys are missing.

So that's not nothing, but then consider how much it costs to go out to dinner a few times, for what is really only a very temporary pleasure. Also the lack of being able to wear your jewelry is a continuing vexation, while the vexation of paying to get it drilled out would be eased by the pleasure of having your jewelry to wear again.

I decided what to wear, clothing wise. Now for the pearls... I was finally able to get an appointment to break into the bank box next Friday. I'll be sure to come across the keys soon after, but what the heck! :) I'm now leaning toward the baby Edison pearls, but will have to see what looks best with the outfit. It's nice to have more choices!

Getting excited!

I decided what to wear, clothing wise. Now for the pearls... I was finally able to get an appointment to break into the bank box next Friday. I'll be sure to come across the keys soon after, but what the heck! :) I'm now leaning toward the baby Edison pearls, but will have to see what looks best with the outfit. It's nice to have more choices!

Getting excited!

I'm glad you will soon be reunited with your pretties!

5 more days!

This is going to be so wonderful hearing from all of the great speakers. Very excited and worried about which pearls to wear and which shoes to wear ;)

Have a wonderful time, all! PLEASE ... begging for a few photos, for those of us stuck at home, or on the pearl desert of the east coast ...

Back