Natural pearls in Cartier jewelry

Isi

Since it's Christmas time and we all need to dream a bit, I thought you might enjoy a few pictures taken at the Cartier jewelry exhibition currently displayed in Paris.
Pictures were authorized, so I selected 17 jewels, all featuring natural pearls.
The trouble is I am hopeless at taking good pictures, my camera is very small and not adapted, so some of the pictures are really blurred, sorry about that, but I hope you will appreciate the style of the jewels anyway.

Let's start in chronological order. Here are 2 tiaras, both made of platinum, diamonds and natural pearls of course. The first on is from 1907, floral style.

1907 tiara.jpg

The second one is from 1908, with hanging pear shaped diamonds all around. The shape is after russian fashion, "kokoshnik", in crescent shape.

1908 tiara kokoschnik.jpg

Both tiaras - with others without pearls - were on a rotating device... not so easy to capture !

Last edited:
Faboo! How clever to put them on a rotating stand for the viewer's pleasure - but not good for photography, eh? :)

Not good for a photographer as bad as I am.

Here are two more pieces.

1910, necklace with seed pearls, diamonds and sapphires.

1910 collier seed perles-7.jpg

1913, brooch "Draperie" with a conch pearl. Sorry for the quality of the picture. The pearl was pale pink but not so pale as in my picture. The atmosphere of the exhibition is very dark and my camera kept wanting to adjust with more light !

1913 broche draperie.jpg

I am hoping to attend the exhibition in person in Feb 2014, and I can't wait to see these pieces in person!!!

DK :)

What a treat to see these. Thank you for taking pictures for us to drool over.

So thoughtful of you to share these lovely pearls with us! Thank you!

Hi DK, you won't be disappointed by the exhibition I warrant you. My personal advice, take a warm pullover or jacket when you come, the exhibition hall is huge as you will see, and seems to be a bit hard to warm decently. Since you will probably spend much time in front of the windows...
I hope you won't mind if I go on showing some pictures of the pearly marvels ; anyway this is only a minute part of what expects you !

Here is now a necklace from 1911, platinum, diamonds and 5 grey pearls weighing together 387.94 grains.

1911 collier 6 perles.jpg

At this part of the exhibition it was reminded that up to 1920 natural pearls were considered as an investment and represented 60% of Cartier's financial turnover.
They were deemed more precious than diamonds which could be found in abundance since the discovery of the south african mines, end of 19th century.

Last edited:
Let's move forward in time, we are in 1918. Here is a pendant of sapphires, diamonds, platinum, carved rock crystal, and pearls.

1918 pendentif.jpg

And same year, here is one of my personal favourite, a brooch in the shape of a flower basket, inspired from the jewelry of 18th century. So elegant, so classically french !

1918 flower basket.jpg

Last edited:
Love that necklace too. It has given me even more ideas for my Bella Epoque necklace. Loads of idea swirling through my brain.

Do give us all the photos you took. That is what it is all about, photos for us to drool over.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Thanks for sharing your photos. The basket brooch photo is perfect! :)

I am in for a real treat for certain, keep the photos coming please to wet my appetite for jewels as well as the lovely meals I shall be having while in Paris!!!

And thanks for the tip re: wrap up warm.

DK :D

Thank you for sharing these pictures of pearls in exquisite designs.

Now we are in 1924, well into the Art D?co period. Simple, geometrical designs.

Here is a typical brooch, platinum, diamonds, onyx, rock crystal, and one pearl :

1924 broche 1 perle.jpg

and a headband : platinum, diamonds, one pearl weighing 51 grains :

1924 headband.jpg

Here are two items from indian inspiration.

This necklace, 1928, in gold, diamonds, rubies, emeralds, white jade, and pearls.

1928 collier indien.jpg

and this other necklace, 1930, in platinum, diamonds, rubies and pearls, which I find very harmonious. The top of the necklace can be detached so you can have a bracelet and a shorter necklace instead of a long necklace.

1930 collier rubis.jpg

Let's come back to more classical things.
Here are jewels all from 1930.

On pair of earrings and one ring. Platinum and natural pearls. Sorry again about the blurred photo. But what I like is the play of colours for the earrings.

1930 BO et bague.jpg

and this simple but gorgeous necklace. Black natural pearls. In real, the luster of pearls is stronger, nearly metallic. The overtones are uneven but that makes a charming multicolor yet matching effect.

1930 perles fines noires.jpg

What a wonderful exhibition you went to, thank you for letting us share it with you and for those planning to go themselves, ENJOY!!

Happy new year to everybody !

I am nearly at the end of my pictures... Only four left to show.

This is another brooch from indian inspiration. 1938. Gold, diamonds, sapphires, emeralds rubies, turquoises, enamel... and pearls.

1938 broche indienne.jpg

And how about this magnificent tiara from 1949. Platinum, white gold, diamonds, pearls. Cannot remember to which happy princess or queen it belonged, although this was probably indicated on the label, but I didn't note that - was too much occupied at filling my eyes.

1949 tiara.jpg

This is the end of the tour !

Here are the two more modern jewels, still featuring natural pearls.

This brooch, 1953, belonged to Wallis Simpson, duchess of Windsor.
It's a duck's head clip, in gold, platinum, emeralds, diamond, sapphire, coral, and a blister pearl. Ready to quack !

1953 clip canard.jpg

And this "shell necklace", in gold, emeralds, sapphires and pearls, was made in 1972. Could have been worn at a Woodstock-like festival !

1972 shell necklace.jpg

That's it for now !

Back