My unexpected Tahitians

Dizzie

Just lately I posted about my first Tahitian pearl and I thought that it would take quite some time until the next pearly acquisition. But I am seriously ill with the pearliritis and here comes my latest catch.

Quite inexpectedly I bought a strand of Tahitians. They are on the smaller side - 8,5 to 11. The seller called them round to semi-round, I would rather see the. As semi-round to barock-ish. However they proved to have a really nice luster, which I did not expect that much seing the stock fotos the seller used.

Just out of curiousity, with the sticks they have, how would you grade them? My feeling fould be a B, but I am too inexperienced in Tahitians.

Greetings from Germany,
Dizzie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 35
Dizzie,

Oh, so NICE! Luster is great and size too. Interesting mix of colors you have there, a well composed, unique strand. We'd love to see a neck shot! Grading is subjective, and without knowing the sellers description and having the strand in hand to examine, my guess wouldn't be valid.

Tahitian pearl grading isn't really as subjective as other grading scales because of the standards set by the Tahitian government, but I can't see the pearls well enough to say one way or another. I can tell that they aren't A grade though.

The luster and color does look good. You are right about the shape. They are not round to semi round. They appear to be mostly semi-baroque.

Hmm, I was trying to post a neck shot, but the system keeps showing it upside down :( does anyone has an advice how do I counterfight the system from an IPad? May be it is an apple thing..

I will try to make better shots with the real camera and post them from pc tomorrow.

Jeremy, do you happen to know whether there are illustrated definitions of Tahitian grades anywhere. I have read the definition so many time that I probably know it by heart, but I keep having trouble imagining those percentages of the surface.

I know nothing about Tahitians (being an akoya fan myself) but I think your unexpected buy looks lovely.
Hope you can get a neck shot for us soon.
Meanwhile, enjoy!

Post the photo anyway-- or message it to me. I'll import it into my iPhoto, rotate it 180? and repost it. :)

What an interesting strand- so many colors and interesting shapes. That is a necklace where every pearl could get a name because you can tell them apart! I hope you enjoy them for many decades to come.

I love that it has so many different colours :)

- Karin

So often I don't like the specific colors in a Tahitian multicolored strand, but yours is really nice.

Thank you so much everyone.

I must admit I am extremely happy with this buy. I am not a huge fan of baroques and all the round necklaces that I was eyeing were priced about 10-20 times as much as I paid for this one. :rolleyes:

I suspect you are going to enjoy the necklace for many years to come - colorful, cheerful and lustrous. Personally, I find baroque pearls to be a bit less formal, so more wearable with all clothing. :cool:

Back