Shopping for my first Tahitian strand - help me decide!

JennyC

Hi everyone, I am so happy to discover Pearl-Guide and am a newbie here. I have always loved white pearls, but after a recent trip to Hawaii, I impulsively purchased a pair of inexpensive Tahitian pearl earrings at the Aloha Pearl showroom. I picked each pearl out of a bowl and had them drilled and attached to lever backs at the store. And now I am in love and have decided I would treat myself to a strand necklace with my birthday coming up.

There are two stands I have my eye on, and they are VERY DIFFERENT looks and prices. I am not afraid of spending money for something worthwhile, but I do love a good deal and am not very high maintenance. I genuinely think I would be happy with the inexpensive option, but if I go with that, I feel like I might be missing out on something really great and worth it. And if I went with the expensive option, I feel like maybe the incremental happiness/thrill/joy I have with the nicer strand wouldn't be worth 5x the price because I would be happy with the less expensive option. I hope you all understand the dilemma. I have also thought maybe I could purchase both, lol, and if there were different occasions I would wear each. Please I would love to hear peoples' opinions and experiences.

First is the inexpensive option from Wen Pearls on Etsy, whom I have discovered through Pearl-Guide. It is about $140
Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 8.59.28 PM.png

And the second is from Continental Pearls on eBay. This one definitely looks nicer, but it is like $600.
Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 8.59.12 PM.png

Here is what the earrings I already have look like in different light

IMG_8462.jpg
:
IMG_8461.jpg
2023-05-16 IMG_8184.jpg

Hi JennyC and welcome to Pearl Guide!

Personally I think the strand from Continental Pearls matches your earrings better in color and in shape. It has a much cleaner surface also.

You could get both, but you might want to save some funds instead for different kinds of pearls in the future. Or for a pair of stud earrings, or a bracelet. Pearls have a way of growing on us.... I started with white freshwater pearls, then multicolor FWP, then Tahitians, then akoyas, then white SSP, then golden SSP, then a Fijian pearl...so it goes...;)

I've purchased from Continental Pearl before, they were a good company to work with. The "Champagne Golden South Sea" strand I ordered from them is outstanding. It was much pricier than what you are looking at, but round and clean means expensive!:giggle: I agree with others, get the strand that matches your already lovely earrings.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, JennyC.! If the second strand is within your budget, I would go with that one. The first one has a lot of visible blemishes that I think would leave you soon wanting to upgrade. The earrings look great on you, too!

It’s a great choice! The pearls look really nice and what a match for your earrings. Yes, post pics when you get them strung, please!

Yes, a great choice-- they match so well.

If you have never strung pearls before, do have a look at my tutorial here:

Hooray! I hand knotted them last night and I think they turned out pretty good for a first attempt at self-stringing! I followed the intro video linked in Pearl Dreams tutorial thread and went through the written instructions too.

Thanks for letting me share this Diy necklace journey 🥹 It was fun and I hope to do more projects with pearls. I’m already thinking of the next project 😂

DF8C36CB-35C4-45AC-AFEE-478558287DE2.jpeg
89876E8F-25AB-4979-AD54-7C231DEFC8C4.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow! That looks amazing, JennyC! I hope you are happy with your choice of strands. I think it looks wonderful, and you knotted it like a pro!

Thanks for the unanimous advice 😂 I ordered the continental pearl strand and they shipped so fast!

Here it is - they are so lovely, and they match the earrings so well! Now to string them..

Can post another update when it’s all finished 😃
View attachment 464790
Wow, they really match well! Good choice.

I would never have guessed that was your first attempt at stringing. You did a fabulous job, and I love how they look on you!

Hi just wanted to post an update. So I had to satisfy my curiosity so I ordered the inexpensive strand to see how the quality compares. It took a while to get here from China, but I am also very happy with them! (Told you I’m not very high maintenance 😂)

I will be keeping both and wearing them together and separately depending on mood and occasion ☺️. I thought it would be sweet to let my daughter wear the smaller pearls from time to time too, as she is also interested.

AD2F1629-6891-4C8A-A106-40C529E5CD7A.jpeg
74A9EAEA-F843-4E7F-8928-3AC39D181899.jpeg
9850D1C7-FEDF-4373-997A-A8F94BEF98C7.jpeg

Hi just wanted to post an update. So I had to satisfy my curiosity so I ordered the inexpensive strand to see how the quality compares. It took a while to get here from China, but I am also very happy with them! (Told you I’m not very high maintenance 😂)

I will be keeping both and wearing them together and separately depending on mood and occasion ☺️. I thought it would be sweet to let my daughter wear the smaller pearls from time to time too, as she is also interested.

View attachment 464895View attachment 464894View attachment 464893
They look great worn together!

They look great! I have ordered tahitians from wenpearl before and have been very happy. Congratulations on your gorgeous pearls.

Thanks for the unanimous advice 😂 I ordered the continental pearl strand and they shipped so fast!

Here it is - they are so lovely, and they match the earrings so well! Now to string them..

Can post another update when it’s all finished 😃
View attachment 464790
this is a beautiful strand and looks so lovely with your earrings! Gorgeous drop shapes on those earrings 😍

Back