Intergem?

Sea Urchin

An Intergem show is coming to my area and it looks like there are a few pearl vendors. I don't remember what's been said about it before on here. Is it mainly craft grade pearls or worth the time if you're looking for something nicer? It seems like all the pearl shops are on the west coast. It would be great to get to see lots of pearls at once!

http://www.intergem.com/shows/upcoming-shows/houston-tx-april-17-19

It's been years since I attended a show here, but I never did see particularly good quality loose pearls in our area (Connecticut.) Maybe in Texas a different group of vendors participate.

On that page, there is a link to see the list of participating exhibitors.

LOL, nothing like answering your own question!

That was 2 years ago you were there, Sea Urchin, but my guess is that it hasn't changed much.

How funny that I already went there. I didn't remember the name of the show. It's like Groundhog Day!

I've been to a number of Intergem shows in PA and in Chantilly, VA (much bigger show). Don't remember ever seeing good quality loose pearls, even in the wholesale room in Chantilly. I have seen a few random nice strands of keshi or small FW occasionally, and one or 2 really nice strands of Tahitians, but mostly poor quality FW and few if any Tahitians. It does seem to vary dramatically depending on what vendors show up at a particular show. Of course, if I were able to visit Sarah and Kojima on the west coast, I'd have a far different opinion :) Still, there are findings, gemstones etc., so can be a fun couple of hours :)

I live close-by the next intergem in San Mateo, CA. I was hoping to see if there were any pearl merchants worth seeing, it doesn't look like it from these thread and also the one Red posted... anyways, I don't mind "better" quality beading pearls (still FWP)... Still excited as it is my first time going...

Looks like there are a number of pearl vendors at San Mateo. Pacific Pearls is one of us!

Marianne, I just saw list of vendors as well... yes they have listed Pacific Pearls...a quick browse.. I also see Pearl Concept -- has anyone heard of them?

I just checked out the InterGem show in Whiteplains on August 29th.

Sadly I live in NYC and pretty much all the shows here are restricted to registered vendors. As a hobbyist, I have no where to shop for pearl supplies for fun crafting projects. So I found the InterGem calendar and arm-twisted my poor boyfriend to drive me up to Whiteplains and dragged him through the exhibition lol.

I'd have to say it was incredibly disappointing - very few vendors and even fewer pearl suppliers. There were probably 2.5 pearl suppliers with terrible selections and I knew more about pearls than most of them already. Some of them haven't even heard of Edison pearls... >_<

Don't waste your time with Whiteplains. If anyone has suggestions for NYC pearls suppliers, please share!

Good to know. The Hartford show wasn't worth it either, the last time we went.

Those shows are where I obtained so many loose gems for my early collection (wholesale side of course) when I lived in VA many many years ago, even back then the pearl selection was limited imo. Here I would attend the San Mateo show, not gone in sometime though. In general the shows are lots of fun, who wouldn't get lost in all the sparkle? Granted I get dazed by shiny objects so I am terribly biased.

Back