I need a tiny pearl for a clasp

Sea Urchin

Just bought this flower clasp on eBay. It's for a double strand black pearl bracelet so I want a tiny black button pearl in the clasp. Maybe 4mm? I need to know what size would look best (I've seen 3-3.5, 3.5-4, and 4-4.5) and also if anyone knows where I can get one. I've only found them sold in large packages. The clasp is 14k, 12mm and 1 gram. Anyone know anything?

flower clasp.jpg

Last edited:
Nevermind! I found and ordered a set of 2 on Etsy, 4mm half drilled black button pearls. It was only a few bucks so I'll take my chances on if it's going to look right on the clasp. Thanks for reading.

Well, I got the clasp and a tiny black pearl. The pin was too long for the pearl, so my husband sawed the pin down to size. Then he (I am not crafty) glued the pearl on with that two part epoxy stuff. Now there's a ring of black glop on the setting around the pearl. The epoxy melted the black coating on the pearl? Now what? Trashcan? :(

It worked! The pearl came off and so did the black gunk. Thanks, Pattye!

Also, I don't really like the black pearl on there anyway. Now DH is super-gluing on a pink pearl. So gee, now I need yet another bracelet to match. :)

I just found this thread...I've never heard of a melting coating on a pearl! Learn something new everyday! Maybe they had been dipped in a coloured plastic coating? I know that some glues will melt plastic. Leave it to Pattye to know how to solve this problem..I never would have thought to put metal in water in the microwave! Who knew!? Well Pattye did lol Well done!

Do send a photo when you get a chance ! Hope it's worked out for you!

Thanks, everyone. I'll post it once I find a bracelet for it.

I've decided 2015 will be The Year of the Pearl Bracelet. I don't know why I don't have many when they are so perfect. Reasons: (1) You can actually see them yourself when you wear them. (2) Yet, they're half the pearls of a necklace, so you get a lower cost (or better pearls).

I told my plan to DH, and he thought I mean I planned to get a (one!) pearl bracelet in 2015. Isn't that cute? :p

Last edited:
Awwww...ya gotta love them for their optimism :-D

patty Thank you for sharing, i would've never thought to try this.... as i did have an unfortunate incident as a child with a fork in the microwave eek ... :eek: i have a couple pins with gunk on them, and i never thought of placing it in water... it should be fine with small clasps and the like...as the water might counteract any sparks.

Last edited:
Hi Brenda, Seems like in the past discussion on using the microwave oven for removing pins/glue, it was revealed that as long as the metal was covered by water, it would be ok. Like you, I have some bad metal/micro memories, so I just heat water in a pan on the old fashioned stove :)

Pattye, I only time I tried the microwave technique once, on a (gump) south sea pearl, it cracked the nacre. It was just to remove a broken pin. Any thoughts on what I could have done to prevent that?

Sunseeker, No clue why the nacre would crack on a SSP. Very unfortunate, of course. Clearly, this is a "last resort" approach. Someone else mentioned it on P-G previously, and I've used it several times with success. Also used ATTACK with success, but took days.

Of course, always proceed with caution. Perhaps heat just the water in the micro, then drop the finding in.??

Sunseeker, No clue why the nacre would crack on a SSP. Very unfortunate, of course. Clearly, this is a "last resort" approach. Someone else mentioned it on P-G previously, and I've used it several times with success. Also used ATTACK with success, but took days.

Of course, always proceed with caution. Perhaps heat just the water in the micro, then drop the finding in.??

Back