Trying to find out what I have please

Juicccy

I purchased a bag of jewelry from a thrift shop and these was in there. I posted to a FB and everyone telling me to take to Gemologist. Not familiar with lingo but will convey what I was told.
1. Pearls are not round maybe handmade
2. Pearls are knotted
3. Maybe black pearls
4. Weighs about 4.5 grams
5. Cold when I place on cheek but doesn’t stay cold very long.
6 Bone chilling gritty when I rub on teeth
7. No markings on clasp
8. Look black but have a hue of blue when I hold them in my hand
9. Has like dents in each bead
Not sure what else to look for. If they are real was wondering value? Thanks for any info

Attachments

• IMG_2867.png
    IMG_2867.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2531.png
    IMG_2531.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2529.png
    IMG_2529.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2532.png
    IMG_2532.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 55
They look like dyed freshwater pearls from China, but are darker than one usually sees.
They are not particularly valuable, but they can be enjoyable to wear.

They'll look better if you restring them. Pearls do need restringing periodically as the thread gets stretched out and weak, and the knots get frayed and gaps form between the pearls. Restringing is easy and inexpensive--many of us restring our own pearls.
If this interests you, see my tutorial on the following page:

Those are very heavily dyed. I recommend you wet the pearls (not the silk) and lay them on a white paper towel to check if the colour bleeds out before you wear them.
Would not say that they need re-stringing as yet, knots look tight though there is some fluff which is typical of the cheaper silks used by some low-end chinese making factories.
Several hours later thought: They could be dyed akoya pearls. I've not seen any black dyed akoya for a while, so I suspect they are not being produced. But the ones I did see a few years ago were that heavy black-black.

Last edited:
Those are very heavily dyed. I recommend you wet the pearls (not the silk) and lay them on a white paper towel to check if the colour bleeds out before you wear them.
Would not say that they need re-stringing as yet, knots look tight though there is some fluff which is typical of the cheaper silks used by some low-end chinese making factories.
Do you think they are black pearls?
I tried that nothing happened. I even rubbed them while they were wet.

Do you think they are black pearls?

I tried that nothing happened. I even rubbed them while they were wet.
If these are pearls...they are dyed, so they would not be black pearls.
Look like Hematite to me.

The hematite beads I've seen are dark gray, not black, and completely round. Maybe they're some other dyed stone beads?

Hematite would be heavier than pearls of the same size. Maybe you could take these somewhere that sells beads, and compare weight.

The hematite beads I've seen are dark gray, not black, and completely round. Maybe they're some other dyed stone beads?

Hematite would be heavier than pearls of the same size. Maybe you could take these somewhere that sells beads, and compare weight.
We have this beautiful obsidian black hematite down here in Mexico...looks like these. But hematite is indeed heavy and MAGNETIZEABLE. You can try a magnet.

Please take a close up, in-focus photo of one of the "dents" you spoke of.

I wonder, could they be jet?

I put it on my regular scale that read .16 oz. If I calculated correctly they are 4.5 grams.

Attachments

• IMG_2901.jpeg
    IMG_2901.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 30
Ok one more thing. I rubbed two together and this white powder formed. Wiped it with my finger and it went back to original color.

Attachments

• IMG_2910.png
    IMG_2910.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2909.jpeg
    IMG_2909.jpeg
    984.7 KB · Views: 24
They are very bone chilling gritty when I rubbed them across my tooth.
Would be a stone-like material then, non-metallic. Also, not magnetizable.
I still don't think these are pearls...but only God knows what these are. Hard to gauge without touching and actually looking at the material.

Back