I need a tiny pearl for a clasp

I'm afraid of metal in the microwave too. I told my brother to warm his plate of food in the micro - forgot the gold rim! Holy cow, there was a scary amount of popping and sparking, and bro thought I'd advised him to do it so that he'd look bad (family Thanksgiving). Noooooo, no paranoia running in this family ;-o

so, I start the process with pearl in a cup of room temp water, then bring the temp up by adding boiling water gradually, outside the micro.

Ive cracked pearls too, by adding too-hot water on not warmed up akoyas. Surprisingly the bead in the pearls cracked, not the surface nacre. These were very old worn-out akoyas, so I didn't cry too much. I was trying to bleach and refresh the worn-out strand.

Last edited:
I once commented that I had my favorite pendant pearl fall off the finding in the shower (luckily, it is so huge, it did not fall through the drain holes!!!)- and Sheri (La Corsetiere) told me it was because I was wearing it in the shower and hot water softens the glue. I think she may also be the author of the nuking it technique which is why she knew hot water dissolved glue. Before that I thought only Attack would work.

Showers aren't all that hot, so if you are nervous about the nuke it technique, poured hot water should work.

Back