14k clasp indication of quality or what is the worse mismatch of clasp and pearls you have seen and why is it bad?

A Breaker

I am trying to very quickly understand clasp quality with pearl quality. What does a 14k claps generally mean? If I love a 14k clasp do I need an equally great pearl string? If I have a nice string, how bad is it to use a vintage base metal clasp? What about a sterling clasp with diamonds on a good string or does a 14k clasp make the string more valuable? I have seen several youtubes on High quality clasps on lower quality pearls...but I am still learning pearls and only know what I like. I need several new clasps for several pearls and while I love stringing...I don't want to do this several times.

You can certainly put any clasp on any strand of pearls. Of course a gold clasp increases the value of a necklace-- just because gold is more expensive-- but that won't matter until/unless you decide to sell the necklace.

Some people might hesitate to buy a good quality necklace if it has a poor quality clasp. They may not want to have to buy a better clasp and pay someone to restring it, as that would add significantly to the cost of the necklace.

They may not even believe the necklace is as good as you say it is, as a cheap clasp is incongruous with a high quality necklace.

As to putting a valuable clasp on a mediocre strand-- again, it doesn't matter until you want to sell it. Then someone may buy the necklace only for the clasp, and that could limit what they are willing to pay for it.

You can certainly put any clasp on any strand of pearls. Of course a gold clasp increases the value of a necklace-- just because gold is more expensive-- but that won't matter until/unless you decide to sell the necklace.

Some people might hesitate to buy a good quality necklace if it has a poor quality clasp. They may not want to have to buy a better clasp and pay someone to restring it, as that would add significantly to the cost of the necklace.

They may not even believe the necklace is as good as you say it is, as a cheap clasp is incongruous with a high quality necklace.

As to putting a valuable clasp on a mediocre strand-- again, it doesn't matter until you want to sell it. Then someone may buy the necklace only for the clasp, and that could limit what they are willing to pay for it.
Exactly.

Maybe I should have asked this a different way: If I want the quality of the pearl to match the quality of the clasp, how would I tell what is 14k gold clasp quality and what is sterling silver quality? If I see a 14k gold clasp does that indicate great quality? Does Sterling silver mean only good quality?

If you are buying pre-owned vintage jewelry, then it may date back to when gold was not very expensive, and thus a gold clasp may not indicate high end jewelry, but just "nice" jewelry.

And Mikimoto used to use silver clasps decades ago.
I think the relationship isn't so straightforward when it comes to vintage jewelry.

Even now, in many stores gold is often used to set really poor quality, glass filled rubies, that are just about worthless.

With Vintage Jewelry...it is not simple. During WWII, silver was not rationed so there is either sterling (a little gold) or super cheap non-metal during WWII. Pre-WWII was the depression and not a lot of jewelry (that I can afford). Then there is the whole pearls are hard to get and diamonds were getting more air time post WWII along with cheap jewelry...the change to 80's "rice pearls"... Pearls are a really interesting piece in vintage jewelry, the technology of pearls means they don't fit like I would think into Vintage jewelry. But I am still trying to wrap my head around what I want to do with a bunch of pearls and vintage clasps......some pearls are really nice, a bunch of "rice pearls" (no idea how I would tell quality there) and some interesting potato pearls shapes. I think I will use interesting clasps on the potato pearls and mix them with other things. The rice pearls and Nice pearls...hmm.

How would I tell quality on rice pearls from the Y2K? (Several have 14k clasps) Can I just use them like seed beads and make interesting Victorian style jewelry with them and not worry about stringing "expensive" pearls and cheap pearls together?

I have Rice Krispie pearls from my Mom from when that type of pearl was new. The necklaces all have 18K yellow gold beads and 14K yellow gold clasps with rubies and sapphires. They were expensive necklaces when she bought them. Like any other kind of pearl, there are nice rice pearls and there are crappy rice pearls. If they look good to you, string them however you want. You're the one wearing them. If you're stringing them for sale, then you need to decide if they will sell for the price you want to get.

Back