How Do You Store Your Pearls?

Sea Urchin

First, I kept all of my pearls in their original boxes.

Then I got tired of having to go through the boxes all the time, so I took them out and moved them to my big jewelry-box-on-legs, sorted in various ways.

Then I de-cluttered my house and realized it was weird to have two big, half-empty jewelry boxes, the one on legs and the one that hangs on the wall. So I moved them to the hanging one and got rid of the jewelry box on legs.

And that is where they remain. It's very tidy but not as much fun as a more portable jewelry box.

Pictures are most welcome!

Last edited:
The ones from PP are in their boxes in a drawer. My Majorica imitation strands are in another drawer. All the others are either on hooks (for the ones strung on wire with gemstones) or in individual drawstring bags (silk and satin) in drawers in 2 jewelry boxes.

Usually in their original boxes/pouches.

DK :)

I don't have many pearls so all of my purchases are stored in their original boxes. My three loose pearls are stored in a small Tiffany's pouch.

I keep them in their original boxes, and some have extra fabric between the boxes to keep them from moving around when I am looking through them for what I want to wear. I have a label maker and they are labeled so I know which is which without having to open the boxes.

I label the boxes too, but just with a little adhesive paper label. It became necessary as the boxes multiplied. ;)

I always store your Pearls wrapped in a soft cloth or pouch and protected from all sharp objects.

Always try to keep pearls as immobilized as possible. Even pearls rubbing against each other can cause damage. Pearls are organic gems and any abrasion to their surface will cause trouble. I am on the side of over protective for pearls. Especially if you travel, the vibrations on an airline can be devastating if pearls aren't insulated against each other or other objects. A soft cloth will be an easy "home" for your fabulous pearls.

I keep the pearls I am reaching for and wearing in a clear top box in the top of my safe. They rotate in and out of this box (box is from HSN) depending on the season. I find it easy just to see at a glance what I might like to wear rather than searching through many, many boxes. The ones that are not in rotation are in satin lined sleeves or boxes in the safe. I never leave any of my jewelry out of the safe unless I am at home. I have several of these that hold my gemstone jewelry. Some of the really special strands never go in this box ;)

IMG_0409.jpg
picture taken mid 2015 and pearls in it now are different

A picture of my travel roll. It's a great size so I can take lots of pearls to choose from.

IMG_0674a.jpg

I have a secret velvet lined drawer in one of my dressers. I say secret, because it was designed to not look like a drawer. Anyway, no photos, because it's a secret.

It has places for rings and earrings and a large flat area where I lay out all my pearls. I keep my natural white Hanadamas in their original box, but everything else is in the drawer. I probably should weed out the less expensive pearls to another spot so the better pearls have more room. My watches probably don't need to be in there, but it's so handy.

In their original boxes in a fire rated Liberty safe. I wouldn't consider leaving them out as easy pickings for thieves.

I am actually looking for a good jewelry roll. The one I have now is not so big. I can take 2-3 pieces tops

I have one hand-made from PP which is what I use now -- it's terrific!

2-15-16.jpg

Here is a link to the Etsy site that the jewelry roll can be bought from. BAS has the smaller roll that is shown on this site. Mine is 12 by 36 inches and a custom order. You can ask Megan about the different sizes she can do for you. I wanted the same size that she had made for Hisano because it hold lots of jewelry. Megan is an employee of PP but this site is her personal business.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MaeMaeMil...gvsqGWMpT5&eaid=28402290997&x_eaid=991bff55f7

I also have one of Megan's travel jewelry rolls, LOVE it :) Pretty, useful, easy to use ... what's not to love?

Back