Found this 5-8mm graduated vintage akoya strand today!

Pearl Dreams

Pearl Enthusiast
Must be my lucky day! :)

Here are my new lustrous beauties, bought today for the absurd price of $5.00. They were mixed in with an assortment of costume jewelry.

The end pearls are 5mm and the center pearl is just over 8mm. The body color of the pearls is white.

The cute little fishhook clasp looks like back-to back hearts--it's 12mm long, 14K gold.

The strand had been restrung on what looks like nylon thread. I don't care for the size and stiffness of the knots, so I will be doing it over. Right now it measures 20" but I think it will be closer to 18" when restrung on PowerPro (I'm all out and need to place an order for the thread.)

These are a little larger and more lustrous than the 3.5 momme strand I found at the consignment shop a few months back. (Link to that thread: https://www.pearl-guide.com/threads/vintage-graduated-akoya-strand-from-consignment-shop.6365/)
I wonder if they date back to the same era? And whether they would also be considered a 3.5 momme strand?

vintage graduated akoya strandclose up of 5-8 mm vintage akoya strandClasp of 5-8 mm vintage akoya strand

Last edited:
Lucky you, I love these old pearls, but never found any this cheap! Are the clasps marked Japan? A lot of mine are. Would love to know the history of why these are called 3.5 momme, I do know the momme is a weight, but I see these graduated strands a lot and even in the ones I own some are much heavier than others, plus I have one strand of graduated Mikis, are they considered a 3.5 momme also? Just curious. Yes definitely re string and knot with silk. With your experience, back before the Mikimoto process started, were there strands of graduated made of natural pearls?

Daddys Little Pearl

The clasp doesn't mention Japan.

Here is a little article about the 3.5 momme strands: http://www.imperial-deltah.com/news2/pearls_and_occupied_japan.htm

The idea was to keep the total pearl weight down (and therefore the price, too) and somehow they settled on that particular total pearl weight (i.e. 3.5 momme), but perhaps there was a weight range in these necklaces?

I'd be surprised if the graduation of pearl strands was limited to cultured pearls.

You are a clever little pearl shopper, aren't you! $5!!!
Look forward to seeing the finished article on a pretty neck shot.
Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Thanks Happy Huku!

I got a neck shot pre-restringing, now that it's daylight. Taken indoors near open door; I'll be interested to see how much length is taken up when it's restrung.
Second shot is outdoors. It's a bright overcast day.

Attachments

• neck shot before restringing 5-8mm vintage akoyas.jpg
    neck shot before restringing 5-8mm vintage akoyas.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 38
  • outdoors bright overcast day 5-8mm vintage akoyas.jpg
    outdoors bright overcast day 5-8mm vintage akoyas.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
:D Thanks ladies! I think the strand was overlooked because it was small, and the luster didn't show up well until I cleaned them with one of Jeremy's wet towlettes-- and then washed them properly after I realized the thread was nylon and wouldn't stretch. I can still see some grime in there near the drill holes but will take care of that when I restring them.

I've had them on all day and I don't mind the 20" length at all.

Excellent find, well done!

DK :)

Thank you! They look so pretty. Look forward to the post re-stringing shots.

They almost look too tightly strung to me, like they don't lie comfortably with themselves.
Is that the photo or the nylon or just me being shortsighted?!

The length suits you too.
Great lustre!

It's the nylon. The knots are oddly shaped and stiff. PowerPro makes nicer knots.

Right, got the picture! I know you talked about it in your first post but I couldn't really see it until you put them on.
They will look soooo good once you have worked your PowerPro magic on them.
Look forward to the up-date.

I restrung the pearls on 10# powerPro, and it ended up exactly 18 inches long. There are 77 pearls in the strand.
This fine thread makes tight, small knots.
Having cleaned the pearls better, I am delighted with their high luster and mostly clean surface.

These photos were taken under my daylight lamp; tomorrow I'll take photos in daylight.

Attachments

• vintage akoya strand 5-8mm.jpg
    vintage akoya strand 5-8mm.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 26
  • closeup of 5-8mm vintage akoya strand.jpg
    closeup of 5-8mm vintage akoya strand.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 28
  • clasp 14K on 5-8mm vintage akoya strand.jpg
    clasp 14K on 5-8mm vintage akoya strand.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Oooh, don't they look extra special now?!
Thank you for keeping us up-dated and I look forward to a new neck shot.
You have a great talent for finding these treasures and bringing them back to life. As I said in another post, I have a very soft spot for graduated akoyas and it is lovely to see them loved and cared for.

Thanks for sharing my pleasure, Happy Huku! I like that the older akoyas had thicker nacre.

Here is a shot on a sunny day near my open door, plus one outdoors:

Attachments

• $5 strand near open door.jpg
    $5 strand near open door.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 33
  • $5 strand outdoors.jpg
    $5 strand outdoors.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Oh my goodness, superb! Thank you for the photo, they always look so much better worn.
That 8mm middle one is a beauty, really sets the strand off well and such a pretty colour for you.

Back