Vintage graduated Akoya strand from consignment shop

Oh good! I like to think they are happy to be cleaned up and out and about again! Not to mention how much you must enjoy wearing them too.

I though I added my kudos to your find, but I must have not posted it. So congratulations! It is heartwarming to see a person with a good pearl education make such a worthy find! You deserved it because you knew what it was.

Thank you, Caitlin and albertjr! It was satisfying taking something that was so neglected and unattractive (I washed them for the first photo-- they were even dirtier before) and making out of them something worth wearing.

I hope some of the new members who come here having inherited one of these 3.5 momme strands, and not sure what to do with them, will realize they are eminently wearable if restrung. The strand doesn't make a big splash but as a result, it goes perfectly well with even the most casual of clothing.

And Caitlin, special thanks to you for introducing me to PowerPro! It was exactly the right thread for these pearls-- the 10# fit readily (doubled!) through even the smallest of these pearls and the knots weren't oversized for the pearls. I'm now thinking of restringing some of my other home-knotted strands with PowerPro-- 20#, though, as the pearls are bigger.

I too, continue to love power pro thread. Everything but the lack of good colors. The 10# is not hard on the hands, but I am so used to the 20# with most pearls that I don't even notice the roughness any more. The results never cease to amaze me with the easiness to slide the knot really tight and the neat tidy knots it makes. Plus, anything I make for myself I try to make unbreakable, because I manage to break most chains and threads without even trying, LOL, so when I string for others I also want to make it so it won't break before you can even notice its gone. Also since it is entirely washable, there will be no nasty buildup of skin cells and what not on it. Spill grape juice or something, just wash the whole thing in mild detergent or that pearl cleanser and wear it, it dries almost instantly. I wear my favorites in the shower and shampoo them if they need it.

Back