Exotic Multi-Coloured Pearl Necklace Opinion

Bodecia

Pearl Designer & Collector
Hi All,

Finally I surface again. I have just made up a necklace and wondered if anyone could give me their opinion on the black pearl which is hanging from the clasp/pendant.

I am not sure if I should leave it as is or put maybe a large creamy baroque South Sea pearl there instead. I have some lavender pearls that would suit but they are not as large as I would like for this. I am fairly sure if I soaked the pearl and part of clasp in soapy water it might (the black pearl) come of easily.

But would like opinions on whether to leave it as is or go for a pearl that would match the rest or leave it as a focus.

Help, just not sure. The more I have thought about it the more I am not sure. Asked my hubby and he likes it as is. But after all he is a man :))

Thanks, looking forward to your responses.

Dawn

Attachments

• PearlForum2.JPG
    PearlForum2.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 35
Will add a photo of that one too.

Pearls are good, virtually the same as the one above but just much longer being about 32 inches. I guess that is opera length.

I have been organising my FW pearls and realised it would take me months to make them all up into necklaces and bracelets. I might end up listing some of them for sale on eBay. Talk about over-stocked. Just a fanatical pearl buyer. Had them laid out like Jeremy did a week or so ago and they dazzled me so much I could hardly see them. Gave me a shock to when I realised how much I must have spent on pearls.

Must find the thread that was about doing gemmology and studying pearls because I am definately interested if I can do it from Australia.

Dawn dawncee333

Attachments

• PF.JPG
    PF.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 41
Thanks so much Jeremy, I had orginally intended to add a different pearl but didn't have the heart for it and am glad you said that. Thanks. Any other opinions. :)

No, they are not knotted. I am trying out a new product. It is a many strand wire coated with plastic and then has a 24 k coating. It is so very strong and I think virtually impossible to break. Would be strong enough to use as fishing line. Really good looking too. I am using it on gemstone necklaces too. One of the great things about it is that you don't need a needle and threading up is a breeze. Time will tell of course but it is very securely knotted and even glued at the clasp.

Can get Silver colour thread too. That is excellent too for silver clasps that is although it sort of blends in so it is hard to see at all, so would probably go with gold as well. It is not cheap at around $1 a foot.

Thanks, Dawn dawncee333

Dawn

Dawn,
leave the black pearl on. It looks great! The second strand is very elegant too. Can you write some more of this new type of wire, where to get it, cost and so on. Nice to have you back.:):)

Hi Inge (Jerin) It has been so long. Thanks for the welcome back.

The thread is Beadalon. The one I have used for these is called Beadalon 24k Gold Plate Bead Stringing Wire .012 and you get 15 ft which doesn't go far. You can get other thicknesses too and also the other colour I mentioned - hang on, will look up the colour name. Okay it is called Bright. Sort of a silver/blue colour. Would work very well with Tahitians me thinks.

Just read the label again and it says it is nylong coated plated strainless steel. I think there are 17 strands woven in the .012 one but it can go up to 49 strands. Thicker though but for some projects it would be ideal. There are in between sizes as well.

I used to be really snobby about only using silk and not any kind of wire :) but I really like this stuff and it is just so strong and the easiest of any kind of thread I have used. It doesn't say you can knot it but you definately can. No problem. Actually says to use a crimp bead on it. I prefer good knots, they are just so much stronger.

Dawn dawncee333

Hi Dawn!
The top piece looks like a queen and her court of pearls. It is an attention grabber.

I am sorry I can't see any of the gold wire, except for where the gimp would be!

Come by more often!

Your post went up while I was writing mine. Beadalon and other wire strands can be knotted. What kinds of knot do you use? Is the end knot covered?

Inge,

Thanks for the advice regarding leaving the black pearl on. Other opinions really do help sometimes.

I was orginally going to sell these two necklaces on eBay but I think I will probably put them on consignment with a shop about 80 kilometres from me, in a more up-market area :0 Pearls and eBay just don't get decent prices even for beautiful ones like this. I only want about $300 each but think I would have trouble getting it on ebay. Pearls this size and of a good quality aren't cheap but buyers on ebay want everything for nothing. No way would I put them up for auction. Considered my ebay shop but I think my friend's bricks and mortar would do better. She would be able to double or triple my price and make a nice profit for herself.

Barry had a heart attack a couple of weeks ago - what a horrible time. But after an operation he is recovering nicely but not well enough to go back to work yet. So I am going to be listing like crazy and hopefully selling a lot. I wish he didn't have to go back to work so I need to really pull my finger out and start actively listing every day. My main problem is I have trouble uploading photos to ebay. I guess it is my dial up connection that is slowing me down. Hopefully will have a satellite connection before too long.

Dawn dawncee333

I vote to leave the pearl! ;) I use the coated wire when I mix gemstones with pearls or the pearls are too small to knot in-between. Welcome back! ;)

I hope all will be well soon with your husband. In the meantime, it doesn't hurt anything to sell stuff. Especially when you consider how little we actually use things. Good luck with the sales! ;)

Hi Caitlin,

Thanks for the compliment. I love that one too. I will take a photo of the gold plated wire when I get up. It is nearly 6 a.m. and I haven't been to bed yet. I am so bad :(
The knot is covered by some fancy 22k gold beads so only the gold thread over the ring shows. But with this stuff even a bit of a knot showing looks okay.

I think you were a wire user from way back, weren't you. This would be great for other gemstone beads too. It is really soft on the beads such as pearls and coral. I just did a Coral necklace (vintage red coral) and it looks great. Will take photos of that one too and put it up later. But the other thing it is great for is tiny beads with tiny holes that are such a pain most of the time I can't even get a silk thread through them and the worry is that they will eat the silk thread. Doubt that they could hurt this thread.

I just remembered that on the long necklace I used .018 thread goldplated instead of the .012 because of the extreme weight of that one. Can also get .015 and other sizes around that and really heavy duty ones too for those monster bead necklaces. :)

I don't know the name of the knot. Barry should know so I will ask him when he wakes up. It goes round and round the thread and back through and is very strong. Easy if I get the name or get Barry to draw it as I cannot draw for nuts. The only way I design is in my head. Good thing I can visualise so easily.

Dawn dawncee333

I use the coated wire when I mix gemstones with pearls or the pearls are too small to knot in-between.
It is excellent for that isn't it. I love mixing pearls with gemstones and gold. :)

I hope all will be well soon with your husband. In the meantime, it doesn't hurt anything to sell stuff. Especially when you consider how little we actually use things. Good luck with the sales!

Thanks so much. He was very lucky. It was a wake up call. You are so right about us not wearing all the pieces we have. I actually rarely wear any jewellery, one thing I only go for grocery shopping into town so there is really no where to dress up and I am a little crazy and don't want to look like mutton dressed up as lamb. So my beautiful pieces are for wearing sometimes at home or just looking at. I will be listing loads bit by bit.

Thanks for the wishes and welcome back.

Dawn dawncee333

Hi Inge (Jerin) It has been so long. Thanks for the welcome back.

The thread is Beadalon. The one I have used for these is called Beadalon 24k Gold Plate Bead Stringing Wire .012 and you get 15 ft which doesn't go far. You can get other thicknesses too and also the other colour I mentioned - hang on, will look up the colour name. Okay it is called Bright. Sort of a silver/blue colour. Would work very well with Tahitians me thinks.

Just read the label again and it says it is nylong coated plated strainless steel. I think there are 17 strands woven in the .012 one but it can go up to 49 strands. Thicker though but for some projects it would be ideal. There are in between sizes as well.

I used to be really snobby about only using silk and not any kind of wire :) but I really like this stuff and it is just so strong and the easiest of any kind of thread I have used. It doesn't say you can knot it but you definately can. No problem. Actually says to use a crimp bead on it. I prefer good knots, they are just so much stronger.

Dawn dawncee333

Hi Caitlin,

Thanks for the compliment. I love that one too. I will take a photo of the gold plated wire when I get up. It is nearly 6 a.m. and I haven't been to bed yet. I am so bad :(
The knot is covered by some fancy 22k gold beads so only the gold thread over the ring shows. But with this stuff even a bit of a knot showing looks okay.

I think you were a wire user from way back, weren't you. This would be great for other gemstone beads too. It is really soft on the beads such as pearls and coral. I just did a Coral necklace (vintage red coral) and it looks great. Will take photos of that one too and put it up later. But the other thing it is great for is tiny beads with tiny holes that are such a pain most of the time I can't even get a silk thread through them and the worry is that they will eat the silk thread. Doubt that they could hurt this thread.

I just remembered that on the long necklace I used .018 thread goldplated instead of the .012 because of the extreme weight of that one. Can also get .015 and other sizes around that and really heavy duty ones too for those monster bead necklaces. :)

I don't know the name of the knot. Barry should know so I will ask him when he wakes up. It goes round and round the thread and back through and is very strong. Easy if I get the name or get Barry to draw it as I cannot draw for nuts. The only way I design is in my head. Good thing I can visualise so easily.

Dawn dawncee333

I am so glad to hear Barry is recovering well and you will follow up on the wake up call!

Yes, I used wire for a lot of mixed strands--before I discovered PowerPro! Now I use it mostly for arranging a design on wire before transfer to the thread. Wire is a great way to do trade necklaces. It is so easy for beginners to do a good job the first time and everytime.

Dawn,

Good to catch up with you! Welcome back, but sorry to hear about your husband. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

I use the beadalon 49 All the time--it is so easy, and I do lots of gem and pearl mixes--no problem at all with breakage. Usually use the the next size up--.018--the most basic types--like "bright" are offered in 100 ft spools, too. Brings the cost down a bit.

don't want to look like mutton dressed up as lamb.
gave me a chuckle, had not heard that saying before!

Gotta go and make a rush trip to the post office

Hi pattye,

Thanks for the extra info on Beadalon in large spools. That will come in handy and also for your best wishes for Barry.

That saying "Mutton dressed up as Lamb" maybe an old Australian saying/slang. :) As I am getting old I still remember it. Now that does show my age. What a bugger. :(

Bye, Dawn

Hi Caitlin,

Thanks, Barry is doing well and has given up smoking. He is a bit grouchy because of it but at least his arteries won't clog up again. Now I have to do the same. Tried the tablets but had a lot of bad side effects so have to do it another way.

I have bought some Power Pro but I think a needle is needed for really fine beads so although I will be able to use if with pearls a lot of my pieces also have expensive beads with tiny drill holes. Why beads aren't drilled properly beats me. I guess it is time but I have spent hours trying to ream out beads and it is no fun at all. What is worse it is usually some of the best beads that have tiny holes.

Dawn dawncee333

Back