So I won an auction and now I have questions!

JamiePitts

I won this auction that had a ton of old jewelry making items in it, mostly carved mother of pearl blanks, seed pearls, clasps that appear to be very old but never used (100's of them!), and old tools. I searched a name that I found on one of the boxes "DUBOSQ" and that seems to be the name of a jeweler family that dates back to the 1700's in PA and there is also a pearl-related patent that was obtained by the family in the 1800's (patent no. 23760 https://patents.google.com/patent/US23760A/en). Very interesting, but I feel like these things should be in a museum not in my closet! The main thing that I am curious about are three pearls from the auction, they are really large (58/180 gns, 57, and 56 cts). I recently saw a video on clam pearls that led me to believe that these three large pearls are of this type, but I am really not sure. Any input the pearl masters on this site could possibly to offer would be greatly appreciated!
68235949146__787F3264-08A3-4D42-85B8-A64A69C66693.jpg
blanks.jpg
measuring tape.jpg
tools.jpg
58cts.jpg
box.jpg
beadwork.jpg
250571_1_patent.jpg

Attachments

• US23760.pdf
    152.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
The "large pearls" are some very nice and large mother-of-pearl spheres. Quite beautiful!
These items do seem fit for a Museum :D

Can you take better shots of the seed pearls?
Of course! I put a few grains of rice next to one strand so you could better understand the size of some. They range in various shades, shapes & sizes, some (the smallest) look like they are strung with either the finest silk that I have ever seen or what looks like white hair maybe? Some were folded in the brown butcher paper, it looks like that may have been how they were packaged for sale originally.

Of course! I put a few grains of rice next to one strand so you could better understand the size of some. They range in various shades, shapes & sizes, some (the smallest) look like they are strung with either the finest silk that I have ever seen or what looks like white hair maybe? Some were folded in the brown butcher paper, it looks like that may have been how they were packaged for sale originally.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
Thank you all for the comments & info! Over the past month or so I have read through various threads on this forum (my favorite by far was the thread on candling!) as I was trying to research some of the items from this auction and I must say this site has some of the nicest, most helpful and definitely some of the most specialized knowledge that I have ever encountered. It's an honor to join & to show you what I won, no one else really cares! lol Before winning this auction, I knew next nothing about pearls, nor had I ever bought a single one of any kind. Now... I must say I'm a little (meaning a lot) in love!

I see why you bought this lot. It would be catnip for me, too! Are the pearls in the small jar loose? I would love to see more photos of it if you have time! Their size and shape is very intriguing to me. Also: welcome, and this community really is that wonderful. I’ve benefited so much from their generous sharing of their knowledge and time! And kindness!

Last edited:
Here I live in what I call a pearl desert in Pennsylvania, and you show me proof there were once serious pearls in PA ... wonderful ... and welcome to an equally wonderful forum JamiePitts :)

Back