Drilling freshwater pearls

judimcc6

Does anybody have experience drilling freshwater pearls? I'm not only talking about drilling to string, but drilling to embed into the pearl surface. What kind of drills work? I have tried bud burs and stone setting burs with my flex shaft, but they are barely denting...the surface. Any thoughts would help.

I'm curious about this too. I've been seeing some strands lately that have diamonds and other stones set into the pearl and they're gorgeous but I have not clue as to how it's done.

Drilling pearls...

Drilling pearls...

First I just had to throw this photo of a young boy I met in China who has a lot of practice drilling fresh water pearls. The second photo may be of more interest to you though, as it is a photo of another worker in the same processing plant making a drill bit (especially for fresh water pearls). The drill bits generally used for pearls are a three sided bit (hopefully hardened steel) (see photo 3). They are used because they allow the pearl dust to escape, otherwise it will become trapped, heat up and can ruin the pearl. It is not advisable to start a hole in a pearl using a more common spiral drill bit, although they can be used to enlarge a hole, if need be. I use sizes .7 - 1.2mm, although they can be found smaller and larger. I am not sure about using burs, it sounds like yours are either too fine, or too dull?
Here is the website information for Otto Frei ..www.ottofrei.com.. a huge jewelry supply dealer. They sell pearl drills, pearl drill bits, and a million other bits for stones and metal.
Photo 4 is of this three sided bit poised to drill a Japan Kasumi pearl. This is my personal drill, I travel with it. It is a wonderful machine. I drill half way into the pearl, and then I am able to spin the vice until it locks in place ensuring that I can drill half way through the other side of the pearl and the holes will meet in the middle.
Photo 5, Here is the contact information for the people we buy both our drills and our drill bits from in Japan. They will ship internationally.

I am not sure if any of this will help with your project, but Good luck!

Attachments

• drilling practice.jpg
    drilling practice.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 73
  • making a drill bit.jpg
    making a drill bit.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 81
  • drill bit.jpg
    drill bit.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 73
  • pearl in the drill.jpg
    pearl in the drill.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 69
  • yotsuba.jpg
    yotsuba.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 70
Cool! I like Otto Frei. Someday I'm going to get that double maple jeweler's bench! ;)

Cool! I like Otto Frei. Someday I'm going to get that double maple jeweler's bench! ;)

Oooh! I didn't realize Otto Frei sold benches. I'm going to be building a small workshop - about 12 feet square, so space is a premium - and one of those benches would be the perfect addition. The trick will be to fit everything I want comfortably into such a small space. The benches with all the drawers, though more expensive, would provide a lot of storage for all of those little bits and tools. Thanks for the tip! Happily, I'm local...will have to wander down to their shop one of these days to see if they have any floor models I can peruse.

And thanks for the information on pearl drills, Sarah! That's definitely on my list of future purchases.

Sheri

Sheri, Make sure to call them first as they have pretty stringent lunch break hours, and do require some amount of business license paperwork to even get in the door. Inside it is a musty, cavernous, warehouse of fun! Enjoy..

:D
Sheri, Make sure to call them first as they have pretty stringent lunch break hours, and do require some amount of business license paperwork to even get in the door. Inside it is a musty, cavernous, warehouse of fun! Enjoy..

Thanks for the tip, Sarah...I have the business license, so that shouldn't be a problem, but I didn't think about lunch hours...I've bought supplies from them in the past, but it's been some years...this will be an adventure!

Before I start investing in toys and furniture, though, gotta get the building erected. Details, details (quaint mulch heap hidden in far back upper reaches of the garden = future workshop to be, woo hoo!!!). :D

Sheri

"Photo 4 is of this three sided bit poised to drill a Japan Kasumi pearl. This is my personal drill, I travel with it. It is a wonderful machine. I drill half way into the pearl, and then I am able to spin the vice until it locks in place ensuring that I can drill half way through the other side of the pearl and the holes will meet in the middle." (from Sarah's post above)

Ack!~I'm afraid I'm totally clueless here. I just lucked out and found a Yotsuba drill on ebay for $300, whee!!! It just arrived today, looks to be in excellent condition, and as far as I can tell, it's exactly the same as the one on the website. But I have no clue as to how to "spin the vise". Of course, there are no instructions. It's straightforward on how to move the collets to hold the pearl and advance the pearl to the drill, but the spinning around part totally eludes me. Help, please?????? I'm feeling quite dim.

Sheri

You are so lucky! I went to Otto Frei while I was in Oakland. There lunch hour is 12:30 - 1:30. They had the drills there for 1075. I'm trying to decide, but may go with the Chinese drill with the Japanese motor. Mikeyy said this will do it, as long as you keep the drill bits sharp.

Sheryl, if you're interested in one of the less expensive pearl drills, you might want to check this out: http://www.topearl.com/drill-machines-c-65_139.html

I'm hoping I might be able to bribe Sarah to help me figure out how to use my new Yotsuba drill...hmmmm...I just learned how to make almond croissants, as good as any I've had in Paris, if I must say so myself...think that might work?

Sarah, any interest in a nice warm almond croissant???:D

Sheri

Last edited:
Hi Cathy - I have 2 places who will drill - one is Eastern Pearl, and the other is a small private wholesaler who I think is in King Street - or you could watch this space as hopefully I will have a drill by next wekend!

OK, I got my drill. Used on eBay. Looks to be Japanese - very heavy cast metal. Rotating pearl holder. Obviously it came with nothing, so I need bits and other cups, I guess. And of course skill. Any words of wisdom? I'm thinking Otto Frei on the drill bits, but looking for the metal cups. Hope they are interchangeable.

Back