Removing tarnish from rondelles

lary007

I have some rondelles that I took off a a necklace I made a few years ago. I used steering silver wire and didn't think the tarnish would affect the aquamarine rondelles, but the drill holes of all the stones have black tarnish inside them and I can't think of how to get it out.

I know it's not pearl-related but I thought maybe someone had some experience trying to remove tarnish from inside tiny drill holes without damaging the stones.

Removing tarnish from rondelles

You could try threading a very fine wire needle with fine white thread, rubbing the thread with cream type silver polish, and running the thread through the drill holes back and forth. (Not experience, just thought it could work.)

You might try the baking soda in an aluminum pot and water, bring to a boil, remove from heat, add the beads and see what happens. This works to clean silver. Just a thought.

Please do not use Tarn-x on any type of stone! It is a very strong acidic solution that will etch a stone like beryl. It contains sulfamic acid, as well as a host of other toxic ingredients.

Instead, give them a good bath in a dish of warm water with a drop or two of Dawn dish liquid. If the "tarnish" remains, let them soak for a bit and use a soft tooth brush to gently clean and loosen any dirt.

Please do not use Tarn-x on any type of stone! It is a very strong acidic solution that will etch a stone like beryl. It contains sulfamic acid, as well as a host of other toxic ingredients.
Thank you! Good to know. Will it etch glass beads?

It might be hard to get BKF into the holes though. I use it for scrubbing my metal sink and pans.

@JerseyPearl thanks for the warning!

I haven't had a chance to do anything with these yet - my 1 year old got diagnosed with strep and my husband got the flu all in the same week 🥴

I am definitely going to do the Dawn and water method first and then maybe try the Bar Keeper's Friend on a string. I keep that at my house anyway.

I will update once I get around to it!

lary007 Any update? I usually start with the least destructive first....soap and water if at all possible! My experience is that Tarnex is safe on most harder stones and CZ & Glass. (Never soft stones: pearl, opal, turquoise, etc) If you have to "soak" anything in Tarnex...it is always a gamble and my last resort. I would try the string cleaning even getting the cotton string with "barkeepers friend" over Tarnex on stones.​

@A Breaker embarrassingly, no. No updates. I have yet to try anything to get the tarnish or whatever it is off. It will happen though! I will update when I actually get around to it.

Life with a one year old is not conducive to pearly projects unfortunately!

I remember those days!!! It will keep! Eldest turned 17 yesterday and I was telling stories about when he was that age! Sleeping was my idea of a good hobby then!

Back