Drilling freshwater pearls

Cathy - it is Pearl Traders, 155 King St Sydney - who will drill.
Still waiting for mine...

I have to drop in there tomorrow Bernadette - want me to say hi for you?

Woohoo!! I just drilled my first pearls. I got the bits from Otto Frei today - good Japanese ones .07mm .08mm. I was very cautious starting with a freshwater from the beader's pearls (thanks Boo for that). I then drilled through a small Tahitian keishi and then went for a half-drill on a bigger Tahitian. I know just jumping into the pool with a clue. it worked out great! I love the feeling of getting a choice, and I already know I need some other size bits, so I'll take suggestions on that. I also have to get some of the metal cups, because this machine came with only the set it had on. Any words of wisdom from anyone? Other than take it slow (so hard for me). What do I do about all the pearl dust? And I'm assuming that the bit is supposed to get hot. I did what I'd read about and drilled a little and then backed off when I felt resistance. Too dark to post a pic, but later I will. Thanks for all the advise, offers of help and encouragement from you all! I'm drilling!

Another question - when you buy the pearl holders - are the different sizes listed for the size pearls, or are they the size of the cups? It seems like the larger the pearl, the smaller the holder, so that there is more room for the pearl. ?????

Okay, my drill is sitting on the kitchen bench, along with a full range of bits, and cups, and it seems everything except..... instructions!!
Tomorrow, or late tonight, will be play time. Expect some more questions, everyone!!

stay posted, Wendy.... I have a beautiful cache of Kamokas just waiting for this! Come to think of it, might do just a little practice on some not-so-perfect FW first!!

Woohoo!! I just drilled my first pearls. I got the bits from Otto Frei today - good Japanese ones .07mm .08mm. I was very cautious starting with a freshwater from the beader's pearls (thanks Boo for that). I then drilled through a small Tahitian keishi and then went for a half-drill on a bigger Tahitian. I know just jumping into the pool with a clue. it worked out great! I love the feeling of getting a choice, and I already know I need some other size bits, so I'll take suggestions on that. I also have to get some of the metal cups, because this machine came with only the set it had on. Any words of wisdom from anyone? Other than take it slow (so hard for me). What do I do about all the pearl dust? And I'm assuming that the bit is supposed to get hot. I did what I'd read about and drilled a little and then backed off when I felt resistance. Too dark to post a pic, but later I will. Thanks for all the advise, offers of help and encouragement from you all! I'm drilling!

Sheryl, when I got my pearl drilling tutorial from Sarah, she advised me not to leave the bit in the pearl for very long - if the bit gets hot and turns black, it gets brittle, and is more likely to break inside the pearl. So, not TOO slow... Good luck!

Sheri

okay, it is ridiculously late here in Sydney, but I am sitting up drilling my very first pearls. Never one to just practise on any old pearl lying around, I am top drilling the most beautiful paired, thick coin pearls I have ever had for hook earrings. And half drilling some great 13mm white pairs for BIG studs , and even top drilling some of the 13mm pairs because they are just so gorgeous.
I am thrilled... like Sheryl said, doing your own drilling suddenly gives you a whole bunch more control, and that is just fantastic.
Thanks everyone for the motivation etc... I didn't think I would ever be doing anything other than selling the odd finished strand of pearls to family and friends.. I have even more exciting news around the corner, but that will have to wait for now!

Giving this thread a bump, since I am getting a little closer to wanting a pearl drill, and searching for bits. Wondering which of you that are already drilling are using the actual pearl drill bits versus the regular ones? Am especially interested in drilling out some cfwp to 2-2.5mm.

Also, has anyone had experience with the drill Gail mentions just above? Seems very reasonable, even if I need to purchase a flex shaft.

Thanks in advance!!

Seems like there are a number of different brands of drilling machines, many with YDK motors, but hugely varying prices?????

Last edited:
I found a used Japanese drill on eBay a couple of years ago. You might start checking there, Pattye. The largest drill bit I have is 1.3 (I think) I've been drilling larger holes by multiple drilling, but I'm going to be looking for bigger drill bits so I can double leather through the pearls. I'll post pics some day - or show you this summer!

Thanks Sheryl,

I'll be watching ebay! And looking forward to a chat at the Ruckus!

The Pepe Pearl Drill that is used with a flex shaft, that Gail mentions above, is still available at Otto Frei. But I emailed someone about it and they said they found it unstable and did return it.

Back