Do real men wear pearls?

Well considering you all liked that last pic, check out Vogue's latest article men's wear Spring 2017 (a bit more risqué): Marcelo Burlon County of Milan

Men in Pearls

Marcelo Burlon B.jpg

Marcelo Burlon z.jpg

Marcelo Burlon A.jpg

Marcelo Burlon 1.jpg

Marcelo Burlon 2.jpg

Last edited:
Ranveer Sing in the 2015 movie Bajirao Mastani

Ranveer Sing.jpg

( I really like movies that are period pieces and full of vivid imagery )

Last edited:
So many glorious cheekbones... oh, and pearls ;)

I know that often times the fashion shows during fashion week will use High-street jewelry, but some of the up close pictures here I dunno maybe the pearls are faux. (what gets me the vogue link above...I had to look really closely to see who might be a woman or man in some of the run way fashions)

Marcelo Burlon County of Milan earrings.jpg

Marcelo Burlon Earrings.jpg

Marcelo B.jpg

So many glorious cheekbones... oh, and pearls ;)

The earrings don't look right to me. Either very small ones, like we've seen. Or perhaps a single gold pirate hoop with a dangle...

I did a bit of jaunting around SF yesterday ( still recovering from a cold/flu bug, but going stir crazy inside) hit a few open houses and an Estate Sale.

The open houses are more out of curiosity than anything else, keeping an eye on SF real-estate prices. Sadly I really liked the first house. The second house we viewed the agent made a comment about the necklace we were wearing (We both had on a single CFWP Fireball). The agent said she had never seen a pearl like that before and wondered if they were South Sea pearls. This prompted a conversation about men wearing pearls. While I have no real opinion on what guys will wear, I told her I like the "Organic" shapes of baroque pearls usually they are less fussy and stuffy like the rounds (No offense intended lol) , and that the luster is often more pronounced on them. I was attracted to the fire ball pearls because they remind me of tadpoles. (which reminds me I need to work on a sketch lol) Anyway we spent more time talking about pearls than we did her trying to "sell" the house. Later she told me it was just too hot to be busting her behind at an open house, everyone is off getting ice-cream she just wanted Ice-cream (Okay so I really like this agent), and I confess that is exactly what we did, don't tell the agent. I love Mitchell's Buko (young coconut) ice-cream. If you are in SF even if its cold out, make a stop by and have a scoop of any of the flavors.

At the Estate sale I met a few interesting characters. One was an older lady and she appeared to be wearing Mabe Pearls (earrings, ring and pendant enhancer). She was really elderly so much so she walked incredibly slow...but by golly was she out there for the deals. I ran into her a couple of times around the house, but we had a bit of a conversation when she found me browsing through a couple of old magazine featuring Princess Diana and Prince Charles wedding. I don't remember what exactly she said to me to start the conversation, but I told her I was only looking at the jewelry not the people, pearls particularly, she asked if I liked pearls? Then noticed the pendant I was wearing, then she showed me her Pearls.

It was charming, she said during the week she probably does not wear much jewelry, but every weekend she likes to go out and make a "scene" (her words) and she always wears pearls. First is breakfast with friends and her volunteer driver, then off to a Farmers market to squeeze the fruit (which made her chuckle for some reason) and then off to the Estate Sales and Garage Sales. Her first "nice" pearl was a necklace her husband bought for her in the early 1950s (or 1940s don't remember exactly) while on a trip overseas (she did not say where). Every birthday, anniversary or special occasion he found a new pearl piece to give her. In her later years she gave them off to Children, grandkids and great grandkids. She said this with a bit of a sad look in her eye, she thought they might not appreciate them as much these days.

She was glad to see a young man appreciate pearls ( I had to chuckle...I am not young nearing my mid 40's, but took the compliment anyway), I told her she absolutely made my day, I asked if I could give her a hug before saying goodbye. I don't know her name and I doubt I will see her again, but it was such a special moment between two strangers, two different generations, two different cultures etc the irony was not lost on me for many reasons.

PS: the only purchase that day was from a friend's shop...stretchy bead garnet bracelet. That I think some of the "Burgundy" tahitian minis I have will pair up nicely.

Last edited:
I love your story about the old woman! Good for her getting out regularly and making a "scene". :)

I always take my pearls off when I cook. I'm terrified of accidentally splashing them with vinegar or oil, or something that may stain the knots.

When I inherited my grandmother's pearl necklace (30"), there were splotches of gravy on a few pearls near the bottom. I cherished every spot, thinking of family Thanksgiving dinners.

(Yes, I did clean the pearls. Eventually.)

I loved her sharp mind and feistiness there are no other words for it other than feisty, she might've moved slowly but definitely a bargain hunter from what I witnessed, and I think that moving slowly allowed her to see what others overlooked. I just imagine her at the farmer's market giving those guys a hard time in a playful way. I was telling a friend about it today, she said more "young" people should take the time to talk with the older folks, it gives them a chance to share memories and relive them in the telling, keeping the elderly minds sharp and connected to community. Never really thought about it the way before. Still I maintain I got more out of that brief moment than she did, it was just another day of her making a "scene" and giving trouble lol.

It reminds me of a cute story of an Elderly customer I had when worked in a jewelry shop. This woman would come in with her caregiver, neither of them spoke a lick of English, but she'd point and I'd try to explain/translate the best I could (thanks google). For some reason she loved working with me, each time she'd stop in she'd make a purchase, but sometimes she'd stop by just to wave (or bring me a snack). One day she wanted to look at a ring, I slipped it on her finger and she wanted to look at it near the front window in natural sunlight. I came around the counter, gave her my arm for support and we slowly walked to the window at the front of the store. She was such a card, her arm looped through mine she started humming the wedding march. By far one of my most favorite encounters.

I love your story about the old woman! Good for her getting out regularly and making a "scene". :)

Last edited:
IMG_3919.jpgIMG_3928.jpg

My 14mm Tahitian pearl set in 18kt white gold with black rhodium plating. The leather necklace is from Thomas Sabo :)

Love both those stories, BlackPearlDudeDC! Lots of life lessons there, not only about "old people", but about judging any book simply by it's cover :)

Justin- Really like that "Huge" pearl of yours! Black Rhodium anything and I'm on board. So glad another guy is showing off their pearls!

Hi Jerseypearl, the leather necklace is braided. Actually it's not genuine leather. If not mistaken I bought it from Thomas Sabo for about USD30.

Justin- Really like that "Huge" pearl of yours! Black Rhodium anything and I'm on board. So glad another guy is showing off their pearls!

😝 Yea! Was worry on the effect when I first do the settings. It ended being my Favourite weekend jewellery

IMG_3088.jpg

I do have another adjustable necklace with one oval shaped Tahitian pearl. I buy the pearl, ask the vendor help me drill them in bigger hole and tie my own adjustable necklace :)

Today one of my landscape crew members wore a pearl necklace!!! I couldn't believe my eyes - I was so pleasantly surprised, that I had to ask if I could take his picture. He said his mother gave it to him, which I thought was so sweet. But when I inspected them closely they were imitations, but that doesn't matter! I didn't have the heart tell him, as I wasn't sure if either one was aware.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 34
Back