Do real men wear pearls?

Whenever I see this topic title, all I can think is "real men wear whatever they want." It goes back to that cliche, "real men don't eat quiche," and the response "real men eat whatever they d*mn well please." :cool:

Last edited:
Whenever I see this topic title, all I can think is "real men wear whatever they want." It goes back to that cliche, "real men don't eat quiche," and the response "real mean eat whatever they d*mn well please." :cool:

Well said!

ya know something...I am trying a new little mini quiche recipe from Campbells soup and bisquick :p, and I have on my SOC made pearl ring. Enough said right? LoL ( cooking isn't my favorite thing to do... so we'll see where this ends up)

Whenever I see this topic title, all I can think is "real men wear whatever they want." It goes back to that cliche, "real men don't eat quiche," and the response "real mean eat whatever they d*mn well please." :cool:

I always take my pearls off when I cook. I'm terrified of accidentally splashing them with vinegar or oil, or something that may stain the knots.

Nah its just opening soup, plopping in cheese and stirring in baking mix, and then more plopping into muffin tins. Sounds appealing no? LoL:p

I always take my pearls off when I cook. I'm terrified of accidentally splashing them with vinegar or oil, or something that may stain the knots.

Quiche is so easy to make...however, I prefer a good frittata...even easier. Basically it's baked scrambled eggs in a pie pan, sans crust. But here's a hint...use a pre made pie crust for your quiche (either the kind you fit into the shell, or the kind in the frozen food section).

Cathy, my DH would never ever wear any jewelry...took him a couple of years to get used to his wedding band. My son is far more open to the concept.

I've not made a Frittata in ages! The quiche were not true quiche in that sense, it was a simple soup recipe plopped in a mini muffin tin, ...no crust required (but baking mix) so more like muffin bits, and was a test to see if its something I'd bring to a gathering. I don't cook often (though when I do I am all in to the mess of it) and it is usually for an occasion or gathering which these days are much less common.

I am going to remember this pie crust idea, I would never have thought about that. However more immediataly you have me thinking I need to make a Frittata...you just might get me in trouble and expectations will be raised for me to bake(cook) more often for home meals lol

Quiche is so easy to make...however, I prefer a good frittata...even easier. Basically it's baked scrambled eggs in a pie pan, sans crust. But here's a hint...use a pre made pie crust for your quiche (either the kind you fit into the shell, or the kind in the frozen food section).

Cathy, my DH would never ever wear any jewelry...took him a couple of years to get used to his wedding band. My son is far more open to the concept.

Frittatas are really nice. My best recipe is called a "Javanese Omelet", and came from a somewhat scary old paperback cookbook from the 70's that I found in a used bookstore. Only recipe I dare use from that book LOL. No crust, and best made in a cast iron frying pan with some depth to it, although other pans will work. Step 1: Lightly butter or olive oil the pan and put on medium/medium low heat. Step 2: Slice an onion thinly into rounds. Keeping each onion slice together, make one layer of onion slices in the pan. Add on top slices of good tomato, again one layer thick. Next, herbs, salt, pepper etc. for seasoning. Step 3: Mix a basic scrambled egg mixture as you like it; whisk the eggs, a bit of milk or cream, a bit os seasonings. Just eyeball the amount based on the size of your pan. Step 4: When you begin to smell the onions cooking (about the time it takes to get the eggs ready +/-), GENTLY pour the egg mixture over the tomatoes and onions etc. in the bottom of the pan, not disturbing your vegetable layers. Step 5: Lower the heat QUITE low, cover the pan, and let cook without disturbing, till the eggs are set and your kitchen smells amazing. This will take a while, don't rush it and burn those eggs ... read a book, enjoy some music or go look at your pearls :) Turn off the heat, and let rest for 10 minutes or so. Step 6: Lay a plate over the pan, and flip the pan over onto the plate to turn out your omelet to show off the caramelized onions. Add salad, good bread, adult beverages as needed and enjoy. This makes a lovely supper or brunch. Feel free to add other vegetables, a bit of cheese etc. as you like; fresh chopped green chili's are a favorite here. It's an easy dish that doesn't need a lot of tending once you add the eggs and cover the pan, but there's something about the onions on the bottom, caramelizing in a bit of butter or olive oil and simmering in the juices released from the tomatoes, mixing into the egg that seeps down, that takes this out of the ordinary. This has nothing to do with pearls, except ... Walter really loves this dish for supper LOL.

That sounds yummy, Cathy!

I was raised in an Italian home and frittata was a regular item, because it's so easy to make and you can use whatever you have on hand.
I use my 5-ply clad pan (cast iron is just too heavy for my wrists, makes them ache.)

Sometimes I just sauté onions, sometimes I add baby mixed greens (a great way to use slightly wilted greens that aren't nice for salad any more). Sometimes I sauté asparagus with the onions.

I don't usually cover the pan as I tend not to make a very wet frittata; after the eggs are added, I cook it on low heat on the burner and then when it's mostly set, I put it under the broiler at 400º to set the top.

You guys frittatas are making me hungry ;) My 23 year old son makes a wonderful quiche we have it for Sunday brunch a lot. He has had one of Sarah's pearls on cord since high school.

Pearl Dreams, I cook in that cast iron, but I try to get the "pack mule" to do the lifting whenever possible :)

My 23 year old loves to cook........so I let him ;) and he does it well!

Maybe we should start a new thread in "Other Stuff" for favorite Recipes? ...and I'd encourage people to post a pic of the end result :) CathyKeshi's above can be the first post?

(I fear I might've taken this thread off topic talking about Quiche)

I could get behind a recipe thread! I'm not great with measuring but I can share a lot of Palestinian and Moroccan dishes :)

This is what I get for reading this thread just before bed last night - I dreamed that my husband was really excited about wearing a pearl necklace, so I had it all planned out and was getting ready to order large-hole pearls and leather. I woke up so excited, then remembered that we'd never had the conversation and he doesn't really like wearing jewelry... Oh well.

That just means you get to keep the "jewelry" budget all to yourself :), I am here to also help you ladies see the upside to your guys not wearing pearls:p

I could get behind a recipe thread! I'm not great with measuring but I can share a lot of Palestinian and Moroccan dishes :)

This is what I get for reading this thread just before bed last night - I dreamed that my husband was really excited about wearing a pearl necklace, so I had it all planned out and was getting ready to order large-hole pearls and leather. I woke up so excited, then remembered that we'd never had the conversation and he doesn't really like wearing jewelry... Oh well.

Back