Do real men wear pearls?

Thank you all, on Walter's behalf. I asked him if he wanted to come read the nice comments and ... and ... and ... he looked at me like I was nuts, and stalked off muttering "I have to go winterize the silver house and ... and ... and ..." LOL. BWeaves, I pushed Walter on this for 3 years and he pushed back harder; but after spending 3 years talking to the guys at the ruckus, I could sense a rare opening in his mindset and I took it! I do get at least 3/4 of all closet and drawer space, and we're both happiest that way. Duck, no one around here would know that's a pearl either ... and it's amazing in person; my photos don't begin to show the luster, and rainbow pastel colors. I chose one I love just in case my little experiment backfired ... :)

of course chose the one you loved.......
hahahaha
*we're doing the winterizing too around here, today was generator and snowblower*

Cathy that's a gorgeous pearl and the piece is very masculine.

I wanted to make Tahitian cufflinks for my husband but he refuses to wear them. Apparently pearls are too girly. :(

Hanadama, I really love Pearl cufflinks. Hisano made stunning Tahitian geode cufflinks filled with black diamonds (If I remember right). I bet if the pearls were dark, baroque and/or keshi, most men wouldn't know they were pearls ... :) Walter doesn't need to dress formally often, and it's an amusing spectacle, as suddenly, he ditches the flannels, and ONLY French cuffs and good cufflinks will do ...

Cathy I tried! I showed him photos of silver and dark coloured Tahitians, both round and keshi. I personally think Tahitian cufflinks look very masculine and high end. But he won't have a bar of it!! Maybe I should start wearing shirts...

In my experience, younger guys and millennials don't really "Dress" up in these days, especially Tech workers, unless they work in Banking or on Wall St that is. I can't speak for the middle of the US, but on either coast up and down the coast I see young tech guys wearing multiple stacks of bracelets steel, leather and beads usually. I told my younger brother if you will wear a hematite bead bracelet, you'd be just as happy to wear a Tahitian pearl bracelet. He lives in middle America, and often gets his jewelry when he travels West or East. I once went to Nordstrom and they had an entire showcase (4 shelves) of cufflinks and only two leather bracelets. I thought wow there are so many creative designer's designing men's jewelry if only more stores would carry them, more guys would be aware of them (Trust me).

Interesting side observation on my part, this past weekend I attended a party and I wore the Tahitian pearl and heavy silver chain necklace, over a sweater and blazer, several of the guys in attendance commented asked to try them on. They'd not thought about pearls before and really liked the look. I showed a couple of guys what it would look like to wear a black pearl bracelet and they thought it was cool. Several weekends back I went to a more formal party and several of the men there comment on the snake bracelet, and the SOCortez Mabe ring I had on and a couple of guys took it into different lighting to observe the way the color changed, it was almost too much attention.

Last edited:
BlackPearlDudeDC ... you are so right. Walter only breaks out that formal clothing for weddings etc. and only if I prove to him everyone else will be DRESSED. He's still a bit annoyed about the late August wedding ... invitation said Formal dress. He got out the light grey suit, his favorite New Mexico silver and rare turquoise cuff links ... and the groom wore jeans and a bright blue vest. Walter does like to wear a couple of really nice handmade bolos for "kind of dressed up" though.

I collected a number of sets of vintage gold cufflinks in my business suit wearing days, before jumping ship to work from home and care for elderly parents. Gold was low in price then, so ... gold/ruby, gold/sapphire etc. It was fun ... Walter "borrowed" most and they live in his drawer now :)

Cathy - Thank you for that photo of Walter in his Kamoka. Stunning pearl on a most wonderful and unique man.

Aw, Thanks, Red! He is indeed unique :) The pearl is just dreamy.

I think Walter is very smart for wanting proof. I can count on two hands the times I've been over dressed for semi formal events, usually its a "dinner", once a beach wedding where no one told us if it was on the beach or at the beach...two different things LoL, I got sand in my dressy shoes and was not happy!

BlackPearlDudeDC ... you are so right. Walter only breaks out that formal clothing for weddings etc. and only if I prove to him everyone else will be DRESSED. He's still a bit annoyed about the late August wedding ... invitation said Formal dress. He got out the light grey suit, his favorite New Mexico silver and rare turquoise cuff links ... and the groom wore jeans and a bright blue vest. Walter does like to wear a couple of really nice handmade bolos for "kind of dressed up" though.

I collected a number of sets of vintage gold cufflinks in my business suit wearing days, before jumping ship to work from home and care for elderly parents. Gold was low in price then, so ... gold/ruby, gold/sapphire etc. It was fun ... Walter "borrowed" most and they live in his drawer now :)

Santa was being funny with the red...but I like it !:eek: Something to give my normal black clothing a little point of color.

FireballPearl copy.jpg

Back