What would you do with this pearl?

BWeaves

You are all so creative, so I ask for your advice. What would you do with this pearl?

IMG_2241.jpg

It's an incredibly iridescent silver grey freshwater pearl. 20x24x5mm The photos do not show how incredibly colorful this pearl is. It's very "mother of pearl" looking in its orient. From the online photos at Pacific Pearls, I thought it was white with a bit of good orient, but it's silver with an oil slick of color all over it. I'd been eyeing it for months, and just sort of went "drop" crazy this past fortnight.

IMG_2242.jpg

It looks like a leaf to me.

IMG_2244.jpg

I don't want to just stick a bail on it and wear it on a chain. Worst case scenario, I stick a diamond and gold pearl enhancer on it. But I really want ideas on how to mount it in a piece of jewelry, so that it becomes a statement piece, and not just a pendant. All ideas are welcome.

IMG_2245.jpg

It's good on all sides, so any side could be the "right" side. There's no bad spots.

Last edited:
Personally, I am not keen on enhancers, and prefer pearl pendants to be worn on their own.

Due to its random non-symmetrical shape, IMHO, it will not suit as a centre clasp for a multi-strand necklace to be worn in the front.

It screams "pendant" to me, and I would set it in a diamond halo setting.

It may also work as a ring, again, in a diamond halo setting.

Therefore, I would consider having it set as a convertible ring/pendant in a diamond halo setting.

DK :)

Good suggestions, all! Please keep them coming.

I went and checked BAS avatar. I like that look. My Vietnamese blue akoyas match the leaf pearl, and they are 17 inches long. I could take 5 pearls out and restring them as a choker, and use the 5 pearls on the
chain. Hum?

Also, I'm curious about what you all think is the "top" and the "right side" in case I do it as a pendant.

What would you think about me doing something like this from Kojima, using my blue akoyas and without the diamond wheel?

http://shop.kojimapearl.com/products/tahitian-pearl-and-black-diamond-wheel-necklace

Do you think Sarah would do it for me, if I sent her my own pearls? The leaf did come from Pacific Pearls, and I know Kojima is affiliated with them.

Last edited:
Brooch...add silver and gold leaves...gem flowers...something really dramatic? In that case defo a job for your local gold/silversmith

The first thing that popped into my head was to make it a pendant since it is so perfect. And because it looks a bit like a leaf and shell, place 1 or 3 beautiful gems or smaller pearls in the middle to bring out the colors. The pearl doesn't seem to have any flaws so I understand if you don't want to place anything to cover it up. I think the link you provided would be beautiful and I like the pointy part on top.

I can't help myself...I always see creatures... I would turn it sideways and make it into a swan. Found an art nouveau piece similar to what came to mind.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 43
I've talked to several different jewelers and I think I know what it's going to become and it's not what I originally was thinking. I have a local jeweler who does some amazing modern pieces and she is going to play with it, along with some diamonds I had leftover from a ring she remade for me. I'll post the final piece when I get it, but for now I can't really say what it will look like other than it will be a very unusual pendant that will slide along my cable necklaces.

Interested in seeing the final product! Do keep us posted!

I love custom made pieces. Looking forward to seeing the final result!

So am I. The jeweler sort of sketched something out and showed me something similar with an opal that she had in her display case, but said she'd need to play with my pearl before she comes up with the final design.

I can tell you that it will be in the "swan" orientation with the convex side facing out, and surrounded by brushed 18K yellow gold and shiny or brushed palladium around the diamonds.

I love two and three toned metal pieces. I love mixing metal colors, because that way you can wearing everything with everything and it all matches.

Here's the glamour shot. I'll have neck shots later.

DSCN0321 copy.jpg

The jeweler photographed it on a white gold, sleeve knit choker. I have a yellow gold sleeve knit choker that I bought from her previously. I also have white and yellow gold cables, which are thinner and looked really neat with it, too.

Back