Ugh:( Pearl Perfection article in Rapaport Magazine

jshepherd

http://www.diamonds.net/Magazine/Article.aspx?ArticleID=45739&RDRIssueID=119

Just a few of the whoppers ... :(

A foreign object, like a bit of shell or grit, becomes stuck inside the oyster?s tissue. Irritated, the oyster begins to coat the invader with nacre, layer after layer of it. ?It?s like getting a fly up your nose ? it?s not every day it happens, there?s a low probability,? says Asher. ?It?s like encapsulating a virus in the body.?

That encapsulating process is a fragile one, affected not just by pollution, but even rising ocean temperatures and salinity. Kadakia blames ?oil drilling, overfishing and the culturing process, which took away a lot of the oysters.? True indeed, because every oyster used for culturing is one fewer available for the natural process.

?Two pearls, relatively identical, one natural, one cultured ? I think the natural would be close to double in price,?

And apparently, according to the article, cultured freshwater pearls aren't cultured pearls.

That was a disaster. It's sad that Rahul Kadakia, head of jewelry for Christie’s Americas and Switzerland, doesn't know what he's talking about. How embarrassing. Shame on the author for not seeking out a pearl expert or educator to vet his work.

Oh dear, and he has used my business name as the title... that is an appalling article!

So, What are you going to write to deliver the correct message to the readers? Will you contact the writer of the article with enough material for another article? You can use this article as an opening for more articles and press.

Nerida, I'm sorry that your business name was used in a negative article, but it still is a great name for recognition.

Nerida, I agree with whicker....
That article left me scratching my head.....this is very unfortunate that a lot of prominent people in the jewelry business have little knowledge on pearls....

I did write an article for the Australian Jeweller Magazine in November 2013... it is somewhere here on this site, too. There is another editorial next month for which a few other pearl suppliers here in Australia and I have contributed to as well... Gotta get the correct info out there!

Having been misquoted, I am wondering if some of Mr. Kadakia's words were changed or just recorded incorrectly. The real problem is that no one will learn the truth about the myth of the grain of sand until these trade articles stop perpetuating it. Rappaport should know better and they have used a very good gemologist writer in the past who would have checked these things out - Diana Jarrett. Now more people than ever will believe this dreck because it came from Rappaport.

The first step to good journalism is to assume that there could be things you DON'T KNOW. That is why you should have a subject-matter expert review your article before publication.

By creating our own publicity campaign, we can improve the message that the media churns over.
Please write Rappaport and give them the correct information. They want to know if they have a story with "legs" that will bring in readers. Even short feedback counts as hits. The more response they get, the more attention they will give to another story, or at least a letter to the editorial section. If those of you with deep knowledge react and make it easy for them to publish another article, then you will get the information out. This may mean offering to write the article, or close to it, and letting them use it. Remind them of the writer that they used before, and her accuracy. Mis-quotes are part of the media beast, but corrections can be given. Nerida, please let us know when you have articles coming out, so we can respond to them in the publication, so you grow in stature.

Well done, Blaire!! I did a "like" and "follow post" for it.:)

Having been misquoted, I am wondering if some of Mr. Kadakia's words were changed or just recorded incorrectly.

I actually wondered the same thing. That was the most bizarre part of the article. It would make a lot more sense if Mr. Kadakia said that the cultured pearl industry killed the natural pearl industry because that's what happened. The writer may have taken the quote in a really strange way. I find it hard to believe anyone with knowledge of the industry would make that sort of statement.

Okay, it's time to get to the bottom of this discussion, because everyone is missing points. Bolding mine.

Let's start with predators. A predator can do one of many things. There are at least three distinct differences. First they can cause a perforation of epithelial cells in the mantle. The surrounding healthy cells will divide/multiply and encapsulate the lesion. An irritant, if you will. Next, a predator or cracked shell can also cause a section of mantle tissue. This is where otherwiswe healthy epithelial cells are displaced elsewhere in the bloodstream, where they continue to divide/multiply. Lastly, although the predator is killed by the host, it's mantle continues to live and grow.

Virtually any material, whether sand, shell, porcelain or even plastic in the epithelial space can give rise to biomineralization and pearls or what we know as mabe or blisters. This process occurs in complete absence of predators and displaced/grafted tissue. Again, it's an irritant that nacre alleviates. Not all extrapallial irritants are fused to the shell. Grains of sand are able to perforate the outer layer of the epithelium and become loose pearls, provided they are immediately adjacent to healthy epithelial cells.

1- Perforation by parasite.
2- Sectional graft, self donor.
3- Sectional graft, foreign donor.
4- Non predator foreign body, no perforation.
5- Non predator foreign body with perforation.

I've just termed five entirely different processes. It doesn't end there though, because there are numerous infectious blood borne diseases, whether viral, bacterial or auto-immune. Hormonal changes and blood acid/base levels can give rise to spontaneously formed pearls. Infected organs, particularily the gonads or adductor muscles also are known to cause pearls.

6- Viral infection
7- Bacterial infection
8- Auto-immune responses.

That brings us up to at least eight unique combinations to the onset of pearls. The common thread in all cases, pearls are the result of an interaction between calcium ions, metabolic CO2 and bicarbonate.

Can I prove sand is implicated? Yes. This was fleshed out in my work with Rock Oysters (Pododesmus macrochisma)

The greater portion of the world's sand consist of two things. Basalt and shell fragments. Both have an affinity for biomineralization. In fact, basalt is the foundation upon which everything in the ocean is held fast and propagated. This mineral has a known property, which electrochemically supports bacterial growth by gathering carbon dioxide. A C02 trap, if you will. These are fundamentally the most basic building blocks for life. All living things use calcium, hence calcium carbonate and metabolic carbon dioxide is generated.

From Wikipedia said:
Basalt is a common extrusive igneous (volcanic) rock formed from the rapid cooling of basaltic lava exposed at or very near the surface of a planet or moon. By definition, basalt is an aphanitic igneous rock with less than 20% quartz and less than 10% feldspathoid by volume, and where at least 65% of the feldspar is in the form of plagioclase. (In comparison, granite has more than 20% quartz by volume.)

Basalt is usually grey to black in colour, but rapidly weathers to brown or rust-red due to oxidation of its mafic (iron-rich) minerals into rust. It almost always has a fine-grained mineral texture due to the molten rock cooling too quickly for large mineral crystals to grow, although it can sometimes be porphyritic, containing the larger crystals formed prior to the extrusion that brought the lava to the surface, embedded in a finer-grained matrix.

From Wikipedia said:
Plagioclase is a major constituent mineral in the Earth's crust, and is consequently an important diagnostic tool in petrology for identifying the composition, origin and evolution of igneous rocks.

From Wikipedia said:
The common corrosion features of underwater volcanic basalt suggest that microbial activity may play a significant role in the chemical exchange between basaltic rocks and seawater. The significant amounts of reduced iron, Fe(II), and manganese, Mn(II), present in basaltic rocks provide potential energy sources for bacteria. Recent research has shown that some Fe(II)-oxidizing bacteria cultured from iron-sulfide surfaces are also able to grow with basaltic rock as a source of Fe(II).[8] In recent work at Loihi Seamount, Fe- and Mn- oxidizing bacteria have been cultured from weathered basalts.[9] The impact of bacteria on altering the chemical composition of basaltic glass (and thus, the oceanic crust) and seawater suggest that these interactions may lead to an application of hydrothermal vents to the origin of life.

microlitic plagioclase.jpg

In the attached images, are two pearls from the outer epithelium of the adductor muscle. Grains of sand and indicated by the presence of microlitic structures of plagioclase at 1500x magnification. These are not biological in origin. They are the result of volcanic processes. The grain is only partially biomineralized, revealing microlites, while other pearls adjacent to it were entirely encapsulated.

In conclusion, sand is not implicated in cultured pearls. Quite obviously, shell bead nuclei and/or grafted epithelial tissue is. This is where the myth is busted. However, in natural pearls, sand is implicated with measureable certainty, hence the myth is confirmed. Let us not confuse the two.

Dave, your post is as detailed as always from you. But, being realistic all that information isn't going to get into a short piece on natural pearls written for lay people. I'm certainly not defending the hack by the way, the piece reads like a real cobble up written after a few phone calls late on a friday afternoon - by someone who isn't very good at reading back their shorthand.
I'm not entirely sure why the piece was written. It seems pointless. Perhaps they just felt they hadn't written about pearls for a while and the office junior got told, 'ring some pearl contacts'
Posting about it gives the piece and the magazine publicity. job done.

Back