The Gambiers

Josh

Gambiers1640.jpg

This series of photos is from a recent trip to the Gambier Islands. I spent two weeks there doing some grafting for a friend. 13 hour days, 6 days a week of really fast, intense work. Great trip though with a bit of discovery and some unforgettable sunsets. Check the star in the sky in this photo! This was when the work day started for me (the grafter) so the divers had already been at it by flashlight a good 45 minutes before.

Gambiers1643.jpg

This is a pic of the land as seen from the farm. It's much drier than Tahiti as you can see by the vegetation. The Gambiers consists of a series of volcanic islands that are sheltered only partly from the open ocean by a low reef.

Gambiers1641.jpg

Here's the low reef as seen from the air. The occurrences of ciguatera poisoning are more common than in Tahiti or the Tuamotus so the locals mostly stay away from the fish. This means that for those (like your's truly) that enjoy catching their own food, the ocean is more than generous. ;)

Great pics Josh! I do love the sunrise picture.

Great Photos Josh !
Sigh.........

Gambiers1648.jpg

On one of the Sundays we went spearfishing and on the next we visited the village of Rikitea. Here you can see the busy waterfront teeming with activity :p as well the historic cathedral built by the controversial Father laval in the 19th century. In the distance on the left side of the photo is Aukena, the island where Bob Wan has his farm.

Gambiers1644.jpg

Here's a close up of Laval's church. I read The Bounty during my trip so I had fun framing the building with the breadfruit tree's leaves and fruit. For those who haven't read it, Captain Bligh's ship the Bounty went to Tahiti to collect breadfruit tree saplings for cheap food for the Caribbean slave trade.

Gambiers1646.jpg

This is at the end of my day but not the end for the divers. Tuunui is practically running with a 25 liter jerrycan of gas while the others load up the afternoon's oysters. These guys work HARD.

wow, amazing photos Josh. And we all thought you had just decided to laze around on some waves... no idea that you were working so hard! The last sunset photo is unbelievable.

Josh,

I have soaked up all the colors from your pictures. They will never fade.
You are the best!!!
Akoya

Gambiers1649.jpg

This is my favorite sunset shot. After it got dark this day, I went out diving by myself with a flashlight to look for slipper lobster. I didn't find any but I had a blast catching fish with my bare hands. After my fifth one a Grey Reef shark came around but I wasn't breaking any rules (like having bleeding fish with me) so I wasn't overly worried. Grey Reefs are responsible for more attacks on man than any other shark species but in general they are fair and are more opportunists than predators. Somehow this one knew exactly what I had in the bag and came vaulting at me from behind. I let go of my fish sack just in time to have it gobbled up while I swam, panicking towards the farm through the darkness. It was one of those horror story scenarios complete with the narrow swinging beam of a flashlight and 100 meters to go that felt like a kilometer. When I finally reached the farm I pulled myself frantically up by an overhanging board that broke off when I put my weight on it, leaving me to fall back into the dark water. That was enough adrenalin to hold me over for another five years or so.

Gambiers1642.jpg

Damn, I'm blowing my cover. I admit I have not been only lazing around in the waves. Akoya, thanks but for some reason Photobucket has sucked a bunch of the color out of my photos. Glad you like 'em though!
This last photo is the tip of Moruroa atoll, one of the atolls that was blown to bits by the french government during the nuclear testing of not-so-long-ago. When you see the incredible beauty of these islands and atolls and the warmth of the people who live here, you begin only to understand the extent of the crime that was committed. You fly over it on the four hour flight back to Tahiti.

Thanks Josh for the lovely pics and the exciting story to go with them. That was close! Good you did make it back in one piece. And it is really a shame that governments do whatever they think is needed without any consideration for the local people!

Josh, glad you're still with us and lived to tell the tale (very well, I might add).

Adding my comments to the others, your photos are natural gems and if there was a way to bead them into a necklace I'm sure there are those here at Pearl-Guide that would.

Josh, this one for YOU,

Just beyond the sunset,
Someone waits for me,
Just beyond the sunset,
Lies my destiny......

Sand, Salt Water and Sun are perfect for burying all our stress and worries.

Keep them comming!!!
Akoya

Josh, did you ever think of publishing a sort of a photoalbum with comments? Your photos are as good (breathtaking!) as texts - I am sure it would be a great success!

These astonishing photographs really do transport me to another world. Thank you Josh for sharing your world in such a spectular way.

Beth

Back