Spherical Rose

You are certainly welcome for the compliment!!:D I am just happy to see them on you. Of course, this won't let you off from posting wedding pics, we are all dying to know what you look like in the dress with the pearls. heehee That is probably the biggest reason I haven't purchased any baroque Tahitians yet. Even though I like the strands on the websites when they are lying flat, I prefer them so much more on one of those jewelers neck forms. It just gives me a better idea of drape, size relation and general impression of the necklace. So hint hint to the vendors here, please use more neck forms in photos. ;)

And as for pearls in fashion, I see them everyday. Of course, trends might be different in Japan, but I think they are very fashionable right now. I was actually surprised yesterday walking though a department store and saw chocolate cfwps in a display. I think it is the first time I have seen them in Japan. (I don't live in a major city, so it takes time for things to trickle in here) But I always prefer the genuine article, and I just love the feel of real pearls. But if I saw a really good quality fake in a style I couldn't otherwise afford, I would probably go for it. ;)

Hi Salem
So hint hint to the vendors here, please use more neck forms in photos. ;)

You are not the first to mention that. It was mentioned at least once before and Jeremy had a technical or sales argument that less people clicked through or bought or something when they are shown on neck forms. But I do think he also said he would try to include more as alternative photos. Maybe he will clarify my memory......Or maybe it was real necks, not neckforms.... Well I guess I'd better go take a "senior pill".......LOL, if only there were such a thing.......

Hi Caitlin,

Yeah, now that you remind me, I do remember that discussion. I really wonder what the psychology behind that is. I have seen many photos of necklaces that looked "nice" or "ok" when lying flat, then total popped for me when I saw it on a neck or neck form. So I would be completely the opposite of most people. lol Maybe I just have less imagination. :eek::D

I think it was more the loading time of the pics that deterred people from looking. I don't have a problem since I have broadband, but even slow loading websites just turn me off.

Hi Salem

You are not the first to mention that. It was mentioned at least once before and Jeremy had a technical or sales argument that less people clicked through or bought or something when they are shown on neck forms. But I do think he also said he would try to include more as alternative photos. Maybe he will clarify my memory......Or maybe it was real necks, not neckforms.... Well I guess I'd better go take a "senior pill".......LOL, if only there were such a thing.......

Caitlin,
I think it was real necks, but for myself I like neckforms, they show quite well how the strand "drapes", whether it is symmetrical or not (sometimes happens for me, when I get one pearl too many on one side) so I have to redo the whole thing:() and I think the colour is more natural than when lying flat.
BTW where can I get these "senior pills", I think I need them too,lol.

My only problem with neckforms is that they make necklaces look longer than they really are because the neckform has a smaller circumference than most real women's necks.

Even though you state the measurement, it's the image that stays with people. When you add the fact that the width of pearls shortens the length much more than the same size chain, you have the potential for disappointment.

Dear Spherical Rose:
You look so wonderful in your new pearls. I hope your wedding day is full of joy and you are on top of the world. You will definitely look like it!
Fabulous choice.
barbie

My only problem with neckforms is that they make necklaces look longer than they really are because the neckform has a smaller circumference than most real women's necks....

Neckforms and skinny models!

When I look at the photos of the model on PP wearing different size pearls, and compare her neck size with mine... well, let's just say, my pearls don't hang nearly as low!!
http://www.pearlparadise.com/pearlsizeguide.html

Hi Pearl_dreams and Gemgeek!

That surely is because the model wears a necklace longer than 18", perhaps a very long princes of 19" or even longer!:D

Well, now, Inge, you have a point!:) So I had to go and actually measure the two necklaces I got from PP.

It turns out my 8-9mm exotics are actually 17 and 1/2 inches as strung, rather than 18" as I had assumed. So I won't think so badly about my neck! :p

My white 7-8mm Freshadamas, on the other hand, measure out at 18 and 1/2 inches as strung; the large clasp I purchased accounts for the extra length, which I appreciate.

I agree I'd like to see more web sites use photos of the pearls being worn as an alternate photo. Seeing them worn allows you can see extra detail.
I'm sure I'm as lean (I'm an ectomorph) as some of the models I don't know about neck form though.

Not so sure if what i'm about to say matters any, but I have a beautiful strand of pearls and no reason to wear them anymore. My fiance and I broke up on April 10th. I don't even talk to him anymore. Don't know what to do with the strand of pearls I planned to wear on my wedding day and for the rest of my life. It means nothing to me anymore.
None of the jewelry stores or pawn shops are accepting loans or making purchases because of the current economy situation. They don't pay out on colored stones or pearls anyway, just diamonds and gold weight. The pearl strand just sits the box to never be worn.

Sorry to hear the sad news :( ...

Not sure I know any great place to sell pearls, but would a different strand (possibly different color, type) feel any better? Perhaps the seller would consider exchanging even if the return policy has run out. After all, these are exceptional circumstances.

Just an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry. I hope you are over the major hurdles and are feeling a bit better about the break-up. Normally, I would say keep th necklace and wear it proudly whenever you go out, But maybe the memories are too sad for you. In that case, I think a change might be better too. Have you tried contacting PP? Perhaps Valeria is right and they might make an exception considering the circumstances.

Good luck and please let us know how you are doing.

Jennifer

Hi Spherical Flower,

I am very sorry to hear about you splitting up with your fiance, but it should not make you feel bad about the pearl necklace, the pearls are quite innocent and for that matter they can be worn for many other reasons... but perhaps you could get it changed into a coloured one, I don?t think PP would not help you and it would be a pity if you don?t feel good anymore when seeing pearls....they are lovely and will comfort you int times of trouble and make you feel better.

Let us know what you will do.

Giving them away to a pawn shop would be very uneconomic as you never can get what they are worth and I don?t think the personel there are really qualified to appriciate top grade pearls.

So sorry to hear this sad news!

Yesterday was 3 months from when you received them right? Technically it is beyond the return period, but you could try to see if PP would take them back...after all the strand is something they sell all the time, the clasp is standard. They might agree given the circumstances.

Just another thought: I personally know 4 people who had broken engagements. Every one of them married later (to someone else). Would you regret sending these back if you were to become engaged to another man? Especially since they suit you so well. Reconsider!

Kirsten at PP and I both have similarly bleeding hearts for these sorts of events- I am sure that if you spoke with her, arrangements could be made easily.

I am sorry to hear about your sad news, and wish you the best of luck in the future

I'm so sorry to read your news, Spherical Flower.
I echo the others here and send my best wishes to you.
And I agree with Pearl_dreams too.
My mother's engagement broke up.
Luckily for me, she later met my father....
And she still loves the aquamarine and diamond pendant that her first fianc? gave to her.

Back