Ode à ma Mère

BWeaves

My sister and brother and I went through my late Mom's jewelry last night and divided it up. My mother made us all sit down with her 2 years ago and pick out what we wanted, so there would be no hard feelings later when the time came. We rarely referred to that list. When we did, we saw that we each picked the same items we had picked 2 years ago. Sometimes, things we liked just didn't fit us, and we swapped items. I think we're still a little bit in swap mode.

My sister got most of the big mabe earrings from the 1980s, and some gorgeous akoyas that Mom let her wear on her wedding day. She also got some of the bigger bracelets, and the longer pearl strands, but I have plenty of my own. I was more attracted to the rice crispies and the smaller pearls and 1950's and 60's era strands.

Since there's a lot to share, I'll post one item a day.

I'll start with a necklace my sister is keeping. Mom's double strand of Mikimoto akoya pearls. 6-6.5 mm. AA. 25 and 26 inches long. The clasp is not a Miki clasp.

IMG_2327.jpg

IMG_2329.jpg

Originally, I convinced my sister that since there were two of us, and I had both of the original Miki clasps, that I could restring this into 2 necklaces and we could each have a Mikimoto necklace. Then I would buy some nice freshwater pearls and recreate the double strand, because my sister liked the look of this necklace.

Then my Dad gave my brother my mother's engagement ring, which my sister thought she was going to get, and her heart broke. I also looked at the perfectly matched pearls, and just couldn't break up the set. So I told her that the whole necklace is hers. I'd rather see her happy than have half those pearls.

This is a wonderful thread and your mother's pearls are gorgeous! I can't wait to see the rest of the collection. Very sweet of you to let your sister keep the necklace whole. It's very beautiful.

BWeaves, fantastic thread-- I LOVE it! Thank you for sharing these special pieces. The above double strand is so very elegant.

Lovely pearls, lovely strand.

May I ask, what does your brother plan to do with your Mom's engagement ring? There must have been some reason for your Dad to give it to a son rather than a daughter who would wear it.

That double strand is very elegant. It was sweet to give it to your sister, BWeaves. I look forward to seeing more of your mother's pieces.

My brother's wife always wanted an engagement ring that looked like my Mom's (emerald cut). My Dad suddenly announcing that he wanted my brother to have it, came out of nowhere while we were divvying things up. Brother asked several times if my sister or I minded him getting it, because he wasn't expecting it, and my sister said it was OK, but later confided in me that she was upset but would get over it.

Another lovely personal thread on PG. I almost felt like shredding a tear reading your post. Very touching. And lovely pearls.. It's amazing how pearls keep memories and we keep our memories in pearls..
I love this thread. Thank you so much for sharing.
PS does the title hint at your mom's french roots?) just wondering)

I'm sure it would have been very hard for your sister to speak up in the moment. And very kind of you to give her both strands of the Miki pearls.

BWeaves - my deepest condolences... not sure if I missed some postings earlier, but this is the first time I learned of your mother's passing. This thread really touched me since we have had various discussions in other threads regarding multi-generational jewel passing/sharing. I remember many of the ladies here shared their personal stories. I hope you are holding up ok, big virtual hug here, and I look forward to following your thread and seeing the rest of your mom's beautiful items.

No French roots here. Mostly Russian, Polish and German. I'm not sure why I picked French. It just sounded classy.

A little background. My mother had her first heart attack when she was 35. She had a wake up call and immediately lost a ton of weight and started watching what she ate and exercising. She had 2 triple heart bypass surgeries. She had 4 pacemakers. She was diabetic, too. She was given 6 months to live 2 1/2 years ago. She followed her doctor's orders to the letter, watched her meds like a hawk, and lived over 2 years longer than the doctors predicted. She died peacefully in her sleep a couple of weeks ago at the age of 81. She died just a couple days shy of the anniversary of my parent's first date. It was a blind date on Valentine's Day exactly 60 years ago.

Who's cutting onions in here?

Last edited:
My deepest condolences BWeaves on the passing of your precious mother. I have always enjoyed your stories of her pearls here on PG. So glad you are going to showcase her lovely collection here for us to enjoy. Big, big hugs to you!

Dearest BW--

I have read this thread with a fractured heart because I am going through an illness with my mother as well. I want you to know that your gesture to preserve the pearls and give them to your sister was kind and generous. You are a very kind person to keep them intact and keep your love for your sister intact in this most difficult time. Wonderful.

What a lovely thread, BW, and what a lovely way to celebrate your beautiful mother. I remember your posts of her wearing her glorious pearls. I'm looking forward to all your future posts on this thread. And all my best to you and your family during this cycle of life.

What a lovely tribute to your mother, BWeaves. Beautiful pearl legacy. Sending you Hugs (and tissues :) Your mom and her jewelry will continue to bring joy to. you and your family, and thanks to you sharing, us as well ... Thank you.

What a wonderful thread. Thank u Bweaves for sharing her with us. Hugs

No French roots here. Mostly Russian, Polish and German. I'm not sure why I picked French. It just sounded classy.

A little background. My mother had her first heart attack when she was 35. She had a wake up call and immediately lost a ton of weight and started watching what she ate and exercising. She had 2 triple heart bypass surgeries. She had 4 pacemakers. She was diabetic, too. She was given 6 months to live 2 1/2 years ago. She followed her doctor's orders to the letter, watched her meds like a hawk, and lived over 2 years longer than the doctors predicted. She died peacefully in her sleep a couple of weeks ago at the age of 81. She died just a couple days shy of the anniversary of my parent's first date. It was a blind date on Valentine's Day exactly 60 years ago.

Who's cutting onions in here?

omg, i am so sorry, this is so sad but also so good that she lived longer and your folks stayed together over all that time

HERE BE WYVERNS ======>>>

IMG_2312.jpg

Lookit dat punim! ("Punim" is Yiddish for "face," especially a cute one.)

Who's a good little dragon? You are! Yes you are! Yes you are!

Ahem! cough, cough.

IMG_2311.jpg

I know Chinese freshwater Rice Krispie pearls are passé, but I LOVE this necklace, and I'm going to wear the hell out of it.

IMG_2310.jpg

I think these pearls are old enough that they have transcended "dated" and are now "retro / vintage."

My Mom bought this necklace in the early 1980s. She wore it twisted as a torsade, and then later loose like I'm wearing it. The clasp is actually not in the dragons mouth, but behind his head. The original necklace had 8 strands, and my Mom asked the jeweler to make her one with 12 strands because she wanted it to look really full.

Oh, BWeaves, that is the most wonderful necklace! The dragon is adorable ... are those sapphires? Fantastic Beast :)

Back