Please Help With Any Info

May1787

Hello!

I have a jewelry set which includes earrings, a bracelet, and a necklace. They were purchased by my grandpa during the war in Vietnam during leave to Japan in 1958/59. I believe they were purchased in Tokyo, as the original box states the store was Endo Tokyo. (See images) My grandpa (who has now passed) told my mother (so we have a bit of the telephone game going on with the communication) that the jeweler told him the pearls were sourced by the Ama divers.
I don’t know much about them other than that. They were given to me as an inheritance when my grandmother died in the 90s and haven’t been worn since because 1) I wanted to save them for my wedding day and 2) they didn’t fit well since my grandmother was a very petite woman and I am not. My wedding is probably going to be next year and I’d like to know more about them before I take them to a jeweler and before I take the initiate to get the gold chain extended to fit on both the bracelet and necklace.

Can anyone tell me anything about them? The type of pearl, the history of the jeweler, what they might be worth, etc?

have a jewelry set which includes earrings, a bracelet, and a necklace.

They were purchased by my grandpa during the war in Vietnam during leave to Japan in 1958/59.

the original box states the store was Endo Tokyo

original box

I looked for a gold marking and there isn’t any, I think because the necklace and clasp are extremely dainty. I don’t have the ability to really touch the pearls to “feel” and I don’t have a loupe or magnifier to look at them more closely.
I have already googled the jeweler and it looks like there is an Endo in Ontario but I can’t find one in Tokyo anymore that has an online presence.

Even dainty gold jewelry usually has a karat mark on it. Look more closely with a magnifier-- usually on the clasp for necklaces and often on the back or on the post for earrings.

Your jeweler could also test it to see if it is gold, before you decide to have work done on it.
You could have a look at the pearls with the jeweler's loupe...take it to your friendly neighborhood jeweler and ask to have a look with their loupe.

If it proves not to be gold, another way to wear the necklace is to link the necklace with the bracelet to extend the length. Might be too long to wear for a wedding, though.

Also, the pearls could still be akoya pearls even if the necklace is not gold. You won't know unless you look. I have a gold tone pin (brooch) given to me as a child that has a cultured akoya pearl in it.

Even dainty gold jewelry usually has a karat mark on it. Look more closely with a magnifier-- usually on the clasp for necklaces and often on the back or on the post for earrings.
If it proves not to be gold, another way to wear the necklace without Have you tried linking the necklace with the bracelet to extend the length? Might be too long to wear for a wedding, though.
I really looked and it just doesn’t seem to be there, but I also don’t have great eyes so I’ll have the jeweler look.

I tried extending it with the bracelet but it doesn’t look good at all. Because the necklace is so dainty and small it really doesn’t even extend it down to my clavicles even.

Great! Then it's likeliest the pearls are cultured akoya pearls.
The most valuable part of the necklace is the gold, but I would not feel any need to insure it.

Well...one way or the other, they do seem to be real pearls, and as they are clearly sentimental, I'd go ahead and have an extender put on so you can wear them at your wedding, May1787. :)

Well...one way or the other, they do seem to be real pearls, and as they are clearly sentimental, I'd go ahead and have an extender put on so you can wear them at your wedding, May1787. :)
They’re definitely real according to the jeweler.
Since I took them to the jeweler today they’re going to get an extension and the whole set will be cleaned.

I’m now just looking for more info/history on the company that sold them.

I zoomed in on the pearls and they appear to be off-round. If that's the case, they would be freshwater pearls. Endo is a common surname in Japan, but I don't think it's associated with a pearl company.
They appear very round to me in person but I also didn’t look super close at them. I’ll ask for more info when I pick them up.

Oh, and just an interesting tidbit: I noticed the necklace and bracelet both had 7 pearls each. Apparently in Japanese culture, 7 is auspicious!

They look like good quality Akoya pearls to me. The design is playful! And 7 is also an auspicious or Spiritual number for other cultures, so I think you have a very nice and valuable family heirloom there.
Wear in in Health!

Back