Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!

The fabric is really cool, that's quite a lot of work for accents on a sweater. I see a lot of lovely vintage Japanese fabrics online and thought of buying some, but decided not to as I'm not handy with a sewing machine.

BWeaves that fabric is astonishing! How long did it take you weave and set the pleats etc.?

Pearl Dreams, that's a really refreshing tourmaline and pearl look for spring and summer :)

Weaving was slow, just because I wasn't weaving but a few inches every so often, so several months. Other things to do and see. If I was weaving full time, I probably could have woven it in a week. I don't weave professionally. I'm way too slow to make a living at it.

There were nylon cords in the warp that made the diamond pattern. When I cut the fabric off, I did not cut the nylon cords, and just wound them back onto the loom. That caused the actual fabric to bunch up at the front of the loom, and it pleated the fabric in less than a minute. Then I tied the cords tight and steamed the fabric for 30 minutes. Pleats are then set. It took about a minute to cut the nylon cords and pull them out of the fabric.

Now I have to weave the fabric for the body of the sweater. I'll do that in 100% silk and wool yarn.

And before I forget, I love that tourmaline, pearl enhancer and tahitian drop combo.

MSC, I really, really love those together. The pipis are so special and the butterfly... so detailed! I checked out the artists website and it looks like the wings actually move! Very cool! Did you get to see his pieces in person or was it an online purchase?

BWeaves, the Tahitians would be amazing against anything but that fabric is glorious. I'm very impressed that you wove that piece.

PD, I love the tourmalines and Tahitian together. It's such a pretty set and looks lovely with your skin tone!

My mind is still not ready to think about more than one thing at a time LOL ... MSC, the Pipi and Butterfly combo is adorable ... both so delicate and detailed, and a fascinating mix.

Really lovely tourmaline necklace! And I like that enhancer too...

BN I had been drooling over their work for a long while before deciding to pull the trigger. It was a risk bc I didn't see in person, but it was worth it! I wish I could afford one of their more opulent butterflies. It does move, but I like to wear it open.

Thanks, Cathy! I do tend more towards the delicate things in life ;) like your new chain I'm sure, ahem!

Thanks all! I really have to get caught up reading this thread -- and other threads -- and see what I've missed.

BWeaves, I'm so in awe that you weaved that beautiful fabric. How rewarding that must make you feel - really lovely!

MSC, not only do I love those tiny pipis, I love your butterfly!! I just looked on James Banks site, and noticed they have a Palos Verde Blue Butterfly available - I'm in many So Cal. gardens and they are extremely rare... I just might have to have one!!

Pearl Dreams, I have that same enhancer... your Tahitian looks beautiful with the tourmalines!

BWeaves your fabric is just amazing. I am totally impressed. You have talent girl!

Just pulled together a few things -- these pink and green tourmalines I strung a few years ago, an enhancer finding and a Tahitian pearl.

I love your tourmaline necklace! The simplicity of the enhancer on those strands is wonderful. You will have fun wearing this especially this summer.

Thank you newberry and lmgarden!

Bweaves, I've never seen anything like that cloth! Amazing.

PearlDreams- love love love the tourmalines...one of my most favourite stones..every time I see one of the pink and green strands I think of Lilly Pulitzer lol They just shout out summer to me ! And I do love the pendant ..that pearl is so pretty and the simplicity of the gold ... great combo !!

BWeaves --- well...I am in AWE...absolute AWE of that fabric! Its stupendous! The colours are amazing..what a combination ! I can't wait to see the final product ! Well done!!

I tend to fixate on a particular set of pearls and wear them several days in a row. It's my reborn pearls again today.

And I just finished this leno lace blouse. It's Tencel, very loose and cool for a hot humid day in Florida. To be honest, it was a race to see which top was going to get done first, the sweater with the pleated fabric or the lace blouse. They were both supposed to be finished last year, but I'm a slow sewer.

IMG_0982.jpg

A few photos in the mirror. The blouse is longer in the back with more lace for breathability. The front has more of a solid area over the breasts, but I'm wondering if I should have NOT had the lace over my tummy. Hindsight is always 20/20. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now that I'm looking at the photos, hum.

IMG_2319.jpg
IMG_2320.jpg
IMG_2321.jpg
IMG_2322.jpg

I call this style my pillowcase top, because it's basically the shape of a pillowcase with a neck hole and slits for the arms. I like that it's not up against my armpits, which is a plus in hot, humid weather. The sweater will be a similar shape, but larger. Almost a poncho but with pleated sleeves and a pleated cowl neckline. Very shapeless, but very comfortable.

Last edited:
Thank you. I'm in awe of everyone else's jewelry making abilities. Other than restringing pearls, I've found I'm just not very good when dealing with metal. I've woven with metal, but it's not really my thing.

Back