PP new site design

I agree with many others. Although site redesign prob costs effort and money, in this instance, it is not an improvement over the the old site. There has never been a problem with navigation in the old site. If it has improved, I can't tell. The site looks cluttered and in dire need of white space. Focus has been taken away from the product (smaller pictures) in favour of trying to show more, which means I can't find the particular earring/necklace less easily. In fact, because the pictures are so small, all the strands look identical.

For the record...no pearls were harmed or covered in chocolates during the shoot. As a humbled artist, I do appreciate your constructive critisism. =)

Good to hear, but can you make the same disclaimer about the chocolates?? Bet they had a shorter lifespan.

I know zilch about web design. This is MHO. Instead of "View ALL", an option would be to show 25 or 50 at a time, giving more space. However, I notice that the size of the photo is not larger whether you have 1 page showing or all pages showing. It seems photo size is fixed and independent of display option.

I don't use the "recently viewed" box and that can free up some space for larger pics. Not sure about others. Everyone has their own way of searching for stuffs. Even when navigating other sites, I usually use the maximum number of item option so I don't have to click so many times to forward to the next pages.

As far as the photos looking almost the same, I don't agree. The viewing issue is more serious for those of us at or past the "reading glasses" stage. I am almost there. I can tell some strands are lighter or more silvery than others. I agree that you have to click on almost all of them if you want to see the photos better. I do that on the old site anyway because they were only "partial" strand. You can't make a decision unless you click on the photos for full strand images.

Sorry for all the rambling.

The old website is practical and easy to navigate. But the new design isn't bad.

The only issue I have with the new website: I hate the idea of putting pearls next to chocolate. I start worrying about cleaning when I see such images :(

All aside, someone took the time to describe interesting pearls in multicolour strands ... in a sale no less. Whether it happened before or not, feels good this side of the screen.

Hmm, gotta say I prefer the old site. This new one looks like so many other, cheaper sites that I thought someone was pretending to be PP. So I came on here to see. I thought the old site had more personality. Just my two yen. Danny is napping in my arms now, so can't write much.:eek:

Thanks for all the comments, everybody. I know I have stayed oddly quiet about this, but it was intentional. I was waiting to see if any more constructive comments were posted. One comment in particular I thought was brilliant and it kept me up most of the night planning a new addition to the site. I am going to keep mum about it for now because I need to discuss it with our developer.

Regarding the likes and dislikes of the new site, I knew most people from PG would not like it. That is why all the user testing and design reviews we had done prior to building it were done with Internet users unfamiliar with the original design. For the most part, when people are used to and happy with something, change is rarely ever good. So in order to test usability and improvements, we had to use brand-new site visitors (several hundred over the last year) to compare old and new functionality and design.

This is a very brief overview of the primary changes.

Problems with the old site:

Navigation was a big problem. All category pages were hard coded, so it was nearly impossible to develop and maintain new categories and link them together with breadcrumbs. Breadcrumbs tell you where you are, where you were and where you are going - one of the most important aspects of web usability. With the new design, there is complete flexibility in navigation. Our site got an 'F' for navigation until Christmas, when we added some navigation for visitors who did not know the difference between an akoya pearl and a freshwater. That improved it somewhat. Prior to that, our site really only welcome strongly pearl-educated customers and shunned most shoppers just looking for a strand of pearls.

Comparing this new page with this old page, it is easy to see the difference in the navigation structure.

In the new design, we are able to separate all products into 21 different categories, still leaving room for more categories to be added and include pearl information regarding the type - all within one page or "fold" (no scrolling).

In the old design, we were limited to seven categories due to space, and it took more than two folds. And I know it may be hard to believe, but most people browsing a site do not scroll.

In attempting to add more options like we did to this category of the old site, one of the primary complaints we received was that the page became too cluttered - it was broken into 14 categories. The new page has about 25, and room for more - without more than a single fold.

The point about "room for more" is important for us. In the past, we have limited the number of designs and styles because of the amount of room we had - we could not break things up into categories like double strands, triples, ropes, etc. Now we can add hundreds of new styles and the site will never become too cluttered. So we are now getting ready to add a lot of new styles, and we will no longer need to "sit" on product, waiting for space to free up (like we always have with Tahitians and South Sea strands).

In regards to the category images, the comments are correct. They are a bit too small. We have actually been working to install a sort of hover-over function that will show a larger image. This was in the original design, but testing showed us that it confused people who were used to simply clicking on a picture to see the actual product. We had to change the design sort of "last minute" because of that, so the pictures are still set at small. We wanted to go with full-scale images because pages like this one on the old site failed miserably in user testing because it was difficult to tell what the products were.

On to the detail pages...

In the past, we have had very little control over the functionality of these pages. Adding too much information pushed the "add to cart" buttons below the fold (big usability faux pas), and it took 2.5 folds as shown here, to show limited information.

The new version here shows everything within a single fold, allows for a lot more photo options, and allows us to give a lot more information and answer the most common questions we receive every day. The alternate views allows for close-up photos and bust shots.

The only issue we have run into on these detail pages is that several people from our test groups could not find or understand the "What is This?" that enables a hover-over graphic. We are still working on that one.

There are still quite a few cosmetic tweaks we are putting into place. It will be while before everything is complete. One large tweak is adding a bit of white space between the items in the search results (which also powers the category pages).

But so far, we are very happy with the changes. Our usability and navigability score, to put it in layman's terms, went from about a three to an eight, and conversions jumped dramatically from the first day - before any sale went live. That was the biggest test. We could have waited a bit longer to work out all the bugs, but the extensive testing we had done showed that it would be very worthwhile to launch as soon as the site was presentable.

The pictures with chocolate are just sort of a "fun" thing for moment. Those pages are going to be the primary landing pages for our PPC campaigns, so they are in place until our new SEM team can start testing different graphics and copy.

So anyway, that was a brief overview without getting into too much detail (the detail is about 200 pages of small type and graphics). Things will continue to change over the next month or so while we make adjustments, and comments and suggestions are always, absolutely welcome.

Interesting comments Jeremy. I didn't make any comments as it seemed I had a bit of a conflict of interest.

I'm guessing that sites look similar because we want sites to do similar things - like cars these days - they all look pretty much the same because the basic design briefs are the same.

It is true that being able to add categories, stock, new pictures and have control over everything is great....although my stock is now up to 905 different items with about 30 waiting to be photographed and uploaded! And I am dithering about whether to divide up the coloured pearls into subsections. Things to stay awake for!

Thank you, it's awesome that you take the time to go through all that with us, and the point is that the changes do make very good sense commercially. The point by point explanation also really helps some of us who are trying to get functional websites going. My realization was that I went for form over function, and most consumers aren't looking at web designs for anything other than being clear, simple and quick. You are a good teacher, Jeremy (and I know about that area) if you ever need another day job! lol
So the brilliant comment wasn't the one about chocolate getting on the pearls? Rats.

Last edited:
My 2 cents worth: I won't comment on the navigation, because I think it's fine. I could find what I wanted easily enough. This is a comment about just my first knee-jerk impression. It was, Dang! It's really....BLUE. Bright BLUE. The old look and feel had a certain lightness and restful whitespace - kind of elegant and spare, which now seems cluttered with...fat curvy puffy blocky blue. Shiny blue tabs everywhere. I guess you can see it well enough, but all that blue and the fact that it's shiny and puffy, detracts from the pearls. The pearls should shine and have color, not the labels, IMO. Other than that, I like it OK.

It is quite interesting to hear the explanation of how the site refactoring occurred. There are so many things to consider and many more have an impact on conversions to sales that I would have realized. Thanks so much for the explanation, Jeremy.

My 2 cents worth: I won't comment on the navigation, because I think it's fine. I could find what I wanted easily enough. This is a comment about just my first knee-jerk impression. It was, Dang! It's really....BLUE. Bright BLUE. The old look and feel had a certain lightness and restful whitespace - kind of elegant and spare, which now seems cluttered with...fat curvy puffy blocky blue. Shiny blue tabs everywhere. I guess you can see it well enough, but all that blue and the fact that it's shiny and puffy, detracts from the pearls.

This was my first reaction too :eek:. I just remember thinking, what happened?! Blue?! The old site looked much more professional. Apart from all the blue-ness and the pictures being so much smaller; I like the new site. I prefer the navigation (especially the view all feature) and I'm relieved that you kept my absolute favorite feature: Live Chat.

Jeremy,

It was a bit of a challenge to "speed shop" the new listings, I think because the photos were small. However, most of the time that isn't necessary, thankfully.

As always, appreciate the behind the scenes explanation; how a website works is still mostly beyond my comprehension:eek: .

Thanks for the explanations.
However, I hope you will have a less aggressive colour on the buttons, the blue draws all attention from the pearls.

I didn't see this until yesterday, so I went exploring. It is well done, easy to navigate. I like that it has the BBB up at the top. That is always reassuring. I think the candy is cute and assumed it was for Mother's Day and will change from time to time.

Very streamlined and up to date, fast loading pages. This site is not designed to inflame your fantasies, but to help fulfill them.

Before I knew anything about PG, I googled the online pearl stores and took into consideration its virtual storefront as a reflection of the pearls themselves. Out of all the online pearl stores I ran into, never purchasing pearls online (therefore being somewhat nervous about handing over money for jewelry I haven't seen in person), I felt a lot of comfort and trust with PP's sophisticated and elegant layout. It demonstrated (in my mind) that PP had solid operations to be able to create a solid website at that level. The original website had a lasting good impression and literally TOOK MY BREATH AWAY the first time I saw it. I believe pearl customers are typically from a demographic that seeks sophistication, elegance, luxury and professionalism. I don't think that the harsh blue trim supports this logic. But that's just me. :)

With the new site, the functionality has been enhanced for the better but there are aesthetic opportunities. Functionality-wise, I enjoy the multiple views for an item. I like seeing the price for each individual item. It makes for quick scanning and honing in on a particular piece.

On the other hand, I had a knee jerk reaction to the pearls laying on top of the chocolate. I wondered how the pearls would be cleaned after the photo session, especially with professional lighting that would warm the chocolate... I hope none of my pearls from PP will have had chocolate on them! With that said, I think it will be really fun to see what props and muses the pearls will be paired with in the future. The juxtaposition of chocolate to a product is a bit cliche but it will be interesting to see what creative license will be used in the future.

I don't think that buyers who are familiar with PP would be deterred from purchasing pearls at PP but I do think that novice pearl googlers may have second thoughts purely based on aesthetics but not the functionality or content.

Last edited:
For jewelry on-line shopping, I might be in a small group of users who consider web site design at much less important level than reliability of the vendor. If the web site had something I was looking for, the first thing I would look for was its BBB rating. I don't just stop at a BBB logo. The logo has to be a live link to the actual BBB page of the vendor. I believe PP is still working on this issue.

TahitianPearls.biz is an example of a "not-that-well-designed" web site (in my opinion anyway). But their BBB rating convinced me and I was more than pleased with all the pieces I purchased from them.

Anyway, I really like eBay's alternative views via a mouse hover on an "Enlarge" link. eBay probably develops their web site in house and this functionality might not be available from other pre-packaged web applications.

Good point Space Needle. Now that I know more about pearls and am probably a permanent online pearl shopper (unless I ever get to Tahiti :p), I'm all over the map with my purchases and it has nothing to do w/ aesthetics of a website...But I do think this would be pretty important for a person who has never bought pearls online.

Oh and accurate pictures are a MUST for me. The more the better, the closer the better, the more lighting perspectives the better.

Three observations: 1. rank by price doesn't really work -- try rank highest to lowest, nothing happens; 2. I once linked to PP website from an old link and it throws out an error message -- think it should link to the homepage; 3. For something like the Tahitian special, is it possible to add a "previous item" and a "next item" link to make navigation easier.

I use firefox.

Back