Penguins for New Year's Day

Thank You again, friends! I'm a terrible model, but the dog ran away when I draped pearls on her, grandson wore them for a bit, but ran away to the trains the minute I got the camera out, and hubby HUFFED, rolled his eyes and went outside to look at cows ... daughter said she had "REAL WORK" to do, while admitting she loved her "Sheri's Screamers" Christmas pearls ... I though about trying to drape them on the trains ... that left only me as the model LOL. I'll see what I can do to take a few more photos of these 2 strands especially :)

Cathy, so cool, and I love your droll story-telling style and photo!

Happy New Years!
Here are a couple of closeup photos of CathyKeshi's new Alien Rosebud Tahitian pearl necklace. I chose to call them rosebud Tahitian pearls.. because the little bumps on the surface of the pearls are in fact little keshi pearls that attached to the big nucleated pearl while still in the growth process... and by the grace of aliens for sure.. they were born other worldly!
The term "rosebud" is most commonly used to describe Chinese fresh water (or natural American fresh water pearls).. when they have the same bumpy surfaces.. but of course the over all pearl size is much smaller.
I loved this necklace and I am so happy to be in a community of people who don't just see a flaw.. they see another pearl!
Cheers, Sarah

Attachments

• A801B162-2DE6-4178-B4C9-BFA05B2AD3E2.jpg
    A801B162-2DE6-4178-B4C9-BFA05B2AD3E2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 30
  • closeup of alien rosebud tahitian pearls.jpg
    closeup of alien rosebud tahitian pearls.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 28
Oh, HUGS to Sarah for posting the close up photos of my Alien Rosebuds!!! I promised, but after days of dreary grey weather and hubby with a bad cold ... Thank You Sarah :) I've always liked Rosebud pearls, I never dreamed of Tahitian Rosebuds :) These pearls tend toward whites, silvers and greys in many lights, looking elegant with a black & white jacket ... but New Year's Day, when the sun came out full tilt for an hour or so, those colors just radiated off the pearls. What I love most? That someone else, somewhere in the world, thought to collect and save these, and that then Sarah saw the same thing, and then I did ... the world really is a very small place full of wonder :)

Thank you for posting! That is one gorgeous necklace!!! Wow, those pearls are so cool and so fashion forward! Cathy you are one lucky duck.
eta: and Sarah, what a vision for placement and drilling each one to maximize the "rosebud" impact!!!

Sara!!! Thank you so much for posting the glamour shot for our viewing pleasure here, much appreciated! And love the name Alien Rosebud! Masculine and feminine all at once. Can you tell us a bit more about these rosebud tahitians? I've never seen them before, so curious as to how rare these occurrences are? % of tahitians that are rosebuds? And do most pearl farmers/vendors chug them out as "mistakes"? Thank you so much in advance!

Your penguin shirt was adorable, but I'm in love with those Tahitians!!! I also love bumpy pearls and those are very special!

Thank you! (but I must say the "vision" was pretty easy when this parcel arrived. Real praises go to the anonymous sorter out there who grouped all these anomalies together... they must have sorted thousands and thousands and thousands of Tahitian pearls before they got even this small lot.... thank you anonymous sorter.. more please!)
Jersey Pearl: the drilling was actually really difficult on these, much harder than I expected. I couldn't catch any of the bubbles in the drill cups, so I often held them in my hand to get just the right angle. With such big pearls, they are easier to hold, but the longer the drill bit is in the pearl the more can go wrong.
Purranha : I am not sure I could put an accurate % rate on how many pearls in a harvest end up to be " rosebud Tahitian pearls ".. of course most pearls end up being born baroque, and from there a small percentage (maybe 10-20%) end up with a bubble towards the "tip" of the pearl.. this is often a piece of keshi or an air pocket. Often times these top bubbles will "spin" off or fall off in the tumbling or drilling process.
I used to have my supplier save all the "top bubbles" that fell off in their sorting bags for me.... they generally come in a convenient button (cabochon) shape and I would bezel set them, as it is not always easy to find natural black and silver color pearls in very small sizes.

BUT.. this sort of rosebud texture where there are multiple bumps clustered together like that is probably around 2-5% of a harvest.
This is just my best guest! I imagine it varies from production to production and it is much more common to find this texture in fresh water pearls than in saltwater pearls.

Here are a couple more photos of some more baroque shape rosebud Tahitian pearls for the archives.
Happy Sunday all!
image2.jpgimage1 (3).jpg

I love the alien Rosebuds even more now .... big thank you HUGS to Sarah for the behind the scenes insight and information !

I do love those alien rosebud Tahitians - they have so much character! Glad they were kept together...

Cathy, I love the penguin-on-penguin holiday theme! Belated Happy new Year's! How lucky to have 2 fabulous necklaces from Sarah.

Cathy, this strand is PHENOMENAL! The colors, shapes are just amazing. I love rosebud pearls and these are a dream. Wear in good health and happiness : )

Cathy -- clapping and jumping -- finally a photo and what a photo it is!!! Just wonderful!!! Wear your unique and beautiful pearls in health and happiness!!!

Back