Pearl Shopping in China

brick city love

Hi! Lurker/first time poster. I've been reading posts here but essentially no next to nothing.

I am heading to China next week for a business trip and wanted to do some pearl shopping while I'm there.

I'll be in Beijing, Shanghai, Nanjing, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, & Hong Kong but have the most leisure time in Beijing & Hong Kong. Where should I shop?

I'm not looking for heirloom quality pieces but a few decent finds to bring back for my mom & best friend. Freshwater, nothing crazy expensive. What's the ballpark, post-negotiation price for your average necklace? $30? $40?

I have a 3-strand black pearl bracelet that was a gift but never fit, so I would like to have pearls added to it. Would this be something vendors would do (even if I only purchase a few pearls from them)? I'll also be looking for simple black pearl studs to match. I know this set was purchased in Beijing but I do not know how much it was or specifically where. Should I assume the pearls have been dyed "black" (they actually look more green/blue/gray)?

I am also thinking about looking for a unique piece for myself. Maybe a necklace of large baroque or fireball pearls or an interesting pair of earrings. I'm kind of all over the place. Does anyone have suggestions or inspiration for what to look for, beyond your traditional white rounds??

Thank you so much!!!

If you are going to Beijing, this will be the best place to shop. Hong Kong has a lot of pearl companies, but the vast majority are wholesale, and it sounds like you are doing some casual shopping.

The pearl market is located in the upper floors of the Hongqiao Market in Chongmenwen. You will be able to find everything you are looking for there, including dyed (yes, the dark freshwater are all dyed) pearls in all sorts of dark colors. I'm sure someone would be glad to lengthen a bracelet for you as well, especially if you are doing other shopping while there. There is so much beyond the traditional white and round. In fact, the white rounds are going to be the exception to the rule.

I have a friend in Beijing who knows the Hongqiao Market really well - if you would like, I can arrange contact; not a bad idea having a local to help negotiate down the prices (if needed or wanted)...and though I don't want to speak on his behalf, it's possible he could also arrange a visit to a nearby pearl farm.

No "nearby pearl farm" around Beijing, as far as I know, Morphius...

Uhm yaaaaa...see this is what happens when you try and do too many things at one time...I was recalling a past email from my friend in Beijing, his name's Liang...we had been discussing the trip I'm planning at the end of this year...anyways long story short, re-checking the email, I see he said the nearest farm that he knows of is like a day away by train (1700km)...so whoopsy on my part. :(

Last edited:
OK. My solution is to move these joyful posts to a thread joyful already started, https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5599. We can work out the kinks over there and not all over the rest of the forum.

I goofed. I am really sorry. I know how people hate it when I delete posts, but I did it accidently. I must have deleted the initial post in the thread, because the whole thread disappeared. I apologize. I hope the poster will repost his pearl pix. He did indicate he understood our comments and will comply with the culture here. So hopefully, we can start this whole thing over.

edited to add:
I wrote to JG, thanked him for saying he now understands the rules about posting, then I apologized for deleting his thread and invited him to repost his photos and explanations.

Ivonna and Adeline, I am so sorry I made either of you feel defensive; you are both terrific posters and I wish we could meet up at a ruckus some day! It was not my intent to stir up controversy, but only to get JG to understand our rules about soliciting -and insulting other members.

Last edited:
Squawk! All my beautiful wickedness, wasted! (wicked witch of the west, wizard of oz)

All is well, hugs all round. XO

It was quite a marathon!

I wanted to fire off another when I was snidely referred to me as a man (gawd, there's a pic, bro) and how masculine does Adeline sound? Me launching assaults, nah, just him/her feeling peeved and really snipey. I'm going to avoid posting anywhere he/she does :).

Last edited:
Adeline- I am so sorry. You are a wonderful poster. You have not made any false moves. I'm sorry about this situation.

Caitlin, dear, please stop apologising. It's alright. It's just words and posts and a little miscommunication and some barbs (I got to let it go too :)) but it really is water under the bridge.

And as the unflappable checkout lady in Westfield back home in Melbourne would smile and say to me as I apologised for being slow at checkout with one grumpy babe on hip and another wilful preschooler sitting atop the egg carton and now-flat loaf of bread in the cart, "It's alright, luv. No worries." And there in the supermarket I'd have some sort of epiphany and realise it really is alright.

And if I then could live on flattened bread (like unleavened manna from heaven) and cracked eggs, I can now live without some old posts that are best forgotten anyway. They're merely words.

Hugs :D

OK. My solution is to move these joyful posts to a thread joyful already started, https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5599. We can work out the kinks over there and not all over the rest of the forum.

I goofed. I am really sorry. I know how people hate it when I delete posts, but I did it accidently. I must have deleted the initial post in the thread, because the whole thread disappeared. I apologize. I hope the poster will repost his pearl pix. He did indicate he understood our comments and will comply with the culture here. So hopefully, we can start this whole thing over.

edited to add:
I wrote to JG, thanked him for saying he now understands the rules about posting, then I apologized for deleting his thread and invited him to repost his photos and explanations.

Ivonna and Adeline, I am so sorry I made either of you feel defensive; you are both terrific posters and I wish we could meet up at a ruckus some day! It was not my intent to stir up controversy, but only to get JG to understand our rules about soliciting -and insulting other members.

Here is pearl guide. guide consumer to choose what they want. I will repost them, share with people who want to learn.

LOL! Remember not very long ago when new, regular posters almost complained that the drama had all gone from PG? You gotta be careful what you aks for. You just might get it :D

Caitlin, you are doing a great job keeping this forum in check. I don't even dare to think what it would be like without your efforts.

- Karin

I KNOW! And really Adeline, and everyone, there are really some terrific, incredibly good writers here! YOU are one, so much fun to read.

Zingers fly. Humor bubbles up in the most unlikely places. There's fire, and forgiveness and love all over the place. People apologize and laugh at themselves!

Bad posters eventually give up and go away...you went the extra mile Adeline, please keep posting wherever you want, all over the place!

Last edited:
It would be AMAZING to see China, and all your exotic places.

I loved your photos of Bali, etc, Adeline!

Only downside is we wouldn't get to see Jeremy's vault. ( Well, and mumble, mumble, airfare)

pearl shopping in Shanghai

pearl shopping in Shanghai

Went to Pearl City (large mall with individual kiosks) to buy some pearls last summer. Was looking for Tahitian-like pearls and was , frankly overwhelmed and had very little time to shop. I bought a few strands of smaller grey pearls-not very expensive-around $30-60 depending upon the quality and size. I know I could have done better but the circumstanes were not optimal and they made great gifts for family and friends. I am returning to Shanghai this summer and will have a day to buy some more. Gold is so high so I am not looking for any set pieces. Any recs as to tips for shopping and negotiating? How can I tell if the pearls have been dyed? Anything that is a great buy? (I do not believe any hype so I look to see what I like.) Are the strands a better buy as opposed to single large pearls? Any help is most appreciated. (This is my first post).

Lambskin:
Welcome to Shanghai again. Every pearl has its unique color luster and shape. If you find some pearls are almost the same, you could suspect they are dyed. Attention to blemish and drill hole, is there any difference of color from surface? But as dying skill is promoted, dyed pearl will not easily to fade.
Strands sell in China, if not Gem quality, the matching is not strictly, that is a few of pearls is not as good as seller tell you or others. the reason is not seller cheating you from heart, but the price.
If you don't want dye pearl, you'd better buy pearl with light color. Hope that could be useful to you.

Back