Pearl Shopping in China

I think Joyful Grows point is interesting - that if you don't get what you think was advertised, then you shouldn't think the dealer is cheating you because the dealer is wicked. The pearl seller is delivering what quality you actually paid for.

I can't think that's a good way to do business, though maybe because it's unfamiliar to me...it leaves too much to the discretion of the seller, not enough to the buyer, especially over the Internet.

Therefore "you get what you pay for". Pay cheap, get cheap. I remember years back when a poster was complaining about a supplier, and GemGeek replied that she'd always gotten fine goods from them, but she always dealt directly with them (phoning?) and was willing to pay more for better quality.

It's a recurring theme on PG. Still no fun, and I'm not excusing selling CFW as Tahitians, or gold plate as 14K, etc...

Last edited:
I totally agree with this point too...that you get what you pay for (mostly). Too many people think they should be getting top quality for pennies, when in reality they should be asking 'am i really going to receive a 8-9mm AAA FWP strand for only $20?....heck no! I've lost count of the number of people I've met who truly think they should be able to buy AAA 9-9.5mm stud earrings (on 14k gold) for $50 or less.

But then again, it really boils the blood the pay $200 USD for an unfinished strand of what is supposed to be 6.5-7mm AAA Akoya...but receive what cannot be more than AA grade...AND half the pearls in the strand don't even match in color or have easily visible blemishes.

Oh, no! That deserves a screech that could be heard in the next solar system and lots of hands slapping on the table. (Doesn't it? I don't really know prices :confused:)

Did that happen to you?

Last edited:
Oh, yes! That deserves a screech that could be heard in the next solar system and lots of hands slapping on the table. (Doesn't it? I don't really know prices :confused:)

Did that happen to you?

Sadly yes...and recently too - the answer I received to my "WTF is this" email was "we sent the best we had in stock..." Still working on getting it resolved, but I'll probably get stuck with them.

Is this from your supplier of those gorgeous metallics, or from someone else?

Mostly, My suggestion, it's better that people should buy pearls face to face, check pearls themselves, then negotiation.
Online sale, People should choose seller with good reputation, or you have had brought online from the shop before. you trust them.

And, here again. My warning: If you travel to China to buy pearls-, because of the reason that you maybe come to that shop only once in your life. Many small seller, especially personal vendor, want to cheat you, give you fake or bad pearls, but not all. --also it happen to many Chinese. Don't buy pearl from the street vendor--a person--whatever low of the price . It's better buy pearl from pearl mall--where many sellers shops there, big pearl mall always has good reputation, the management there is stricter, not permit cheating event.
This is my suggestion, I am not sure all shops, even big shop, are honest.
Money is their purpose, not reputation of the country. So sadly. !_!

Shanghai pearl shopping

Shanghai pearl shopping

Thank you for all of your wonderful replies. I love pearls and this forum. I have a few pieces of nice pearl jewelry (two pairs of stud earrings 8mm Aoyka one pair with small diamonds) and a beautiful Akoya strand- 7-7.5 mm 30 inches all bought years ago from a dear friend who was a jeweler closing up her business. I have been fascinated by Tahitian pearls-peacock- and would love a nice big one for a ring or pendant. Alas, the real deal may be out of my budget. So I am on the hunt for a freshwater pearl-9mm+ in Shanghai to match my need. Big, beautiful and great luster-peacock. I don't mind a blemish. What will they try to sell me at Pearl City shops? What should I ask for? How can I tell it is dyed by looking at the drill hole? Other indications of dye if no drill hole? Any help is most appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Lampskin,

If you are looking for FW peacock, they can only be dyed. They don't come like that naturally.

- Karin

Karin, thanks for the post! So the best I can do would be for a beautiful FW grey that presumably was not dyed? By chance do some of these sellers have South Sea pearls? In other words, are Tahitian and South Sea (SS) pearls available at these shops? If so, I bet there is a big risk of passing off dyed FW as SS or Tahitians-especially to a novice like me.

Maybe sellers do have other pearls, but wouldn't they be imported? They would have to make a markup, just as if they had been imported into the US.

My advice: Stick with large freshwater pearls, that's is what China is known for. Cultured freshwater pearls of that size used to not have nuclei, now some do and you pay for it. I think sticking with a large unnucleated pearl would give the best durability and wearability for a ring because they are solid nacre- no bead for nacre to chip off of.

As far as dying goes, in the larger sizes, it may not be a bad choice because the larger pearls of all types tend to be less lustrous. Natural freshwater colors are lavenders, peaches, pinks and whites often with metallic looks. The Chinese have gotten so good at dying the silver and peacok black pearls, that I really think they are a boon to the trade. Use your eye and gut to pick.

Stick with freshwater. Keep an eye out for the color that grabs you, don't worry if it is dyed. Dyed pearls except blacks tend to advertise they are dyed by their very colors! Turquoise, chartreuse, teal, true purple, magenta, etc. You will have no doubt!

You all are so helpful and so informative. For me I feel a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. So permit me to recap and let me know if I am wrong. Stay with the FWs as that is what they do best. The peacocks and greys as well as the golds are dyed. (I am not interested in other colors). But the dye is not so bad. Stay away from the SS or Tahitians-most likey they are not what they say they are and if it is too good to be true-it probably is fake. Look for high luster-mirror and nice surface and shape. Anything else?

Have an idea of what is a right price from studying online sellers (and ebay etc) then haggle hard. good humoured haggling can go on for some time
Know what you want - loose pearls or finished items but be prepared to change course if you see something with which you fall in love
Get the matching earrings or at least the pearls for same at the same time if you can if you want them

Have a wonderful trip and I hope you bring back a sackfull of gorgeous pearls. I was so overwhelmed on my first pearl search that I only bought 4 strands lol. Boy wish I could do that trip over!! Personally I went for things that I didn't think I could find online. I found gigantic bead nuc'd flameballs that size of small goldfish in silvery white and bought two strands as I'd never seen any that large online. I passed on pearls that I knew I could get for just slightly more from online dealers. I asked them if I could photo the pearls...then I took one of their business cards, on it I wrote the price& size and took photos. That way I had a record of how much, what size, and who was selling them. It was very very helpful. Good luck

Now as my trip is getting closer I am getting more nervous and confused. I was very narrow in my pearl likes-white round with a pinky tone-the bigger the better and peacock Tahitians and baroque necklaces. Still my preferences. But pouring over all the forums, posts and pictures your input, opinions and discussions have, frankly, opened my eyes to other FF pearl types. Thank you! So I guess when I go I will just look for anything that catches my eye and with my 'research' make educated purchases. I know if I get a large FF pearl for a pendant it will have to be drilled there as I have no resource here in Chicago to drill a hole. Also, is Shanghai a good place to buy pearl clasp findings? I want to have my Akoyas restrung and find a nice clasp-14K. Do you recommend white or yellow gold (they are white with pink overtones and have a high luster). I wear both white and gold jewelry but do not mix. Finally if you were me and you were at the multiple kiosks at Pearl City-what would be looking for? Anything special that is new or a a great bargain? I am not a jeweler-just a fan of beautiful pearls. Any input is most appreciated. Thank you.

With your guidance I bought 3 strands of flameballs-white, peach and silver. I had them mixed and restrung into 2 necklaces-about 17 inches including the clasp, a bracelet and a few extra silvers were made into earrings as the silvers did not have a long tails. One white and one silver flameball were made into drop pendants. The luster on the silvers is the best and all surfaces are mottled. I really liked the flameballs as they are so different than the rounds and make such a statement. I also purchased a pair of keishi earrings. I could have spent a day there! However, it is my opinion, anything that is really high quality is not available here-it is probably sold wholesale and exported. Thank you all for your help and guidance.

Back