Freshwater Pearl Classifications in China

Enigma Lumin

Freshwater pearl cultivation production and sales
There are different categories of freshwater pearls in China based on cultivation methods. What are the current classifications standards? Let's take a look.
Chinese freshwater pearls can be divided into two major types - nucleated and non-nucleated pearls.

Nucleated pearls refer to pearls formed by implanting a nucleus bead into the mussel and culturing pearl sac around it. Edison pearls grown with a single spherical nucleus are the predominant category. There are also shaped nucleated and attached pearls.

Non-nucleated pearls are produced by inserting mantle tissue instead of a bead nucleus. They can yield multiple pearls per mussel but with lower uniformity.

Additionally, irregularly shaped pearls are classified as baroque pearls in China. Despite the imperfect shapes, baroque pearls have their own appeal.

In summary, the three main categories of Chinese freshwater pearls are Edison, non-nucleated and baroque pearls. Cultivation techniques will continue advancing to improve all types.

If you have any different perspectives or insights into freshwater pearl classifications, please feel free to leave a comment! I welcome diverse views to enrich this discussion.
Freshwater pearl shape classifications in China
Freshwater baroque pearl classifications in China

Great examples @Enigma Lumin
I THANK you for sharing these with us.

This is a fun chart!

On the second slide, the five-pointed star baroque (we call "flower baroque") is missing its title, and the Petal Baroque should probably be in larger font and centered above the row of petal baroques just below.

showing petal pearl vs 5 star baroque.JPG

This is a fun chart!

On the second slide, the five-pointed star baroque (we call "flower baroque") is missing its title, and the Petal Baroque should probably be in larger font and centered above the row of petal baroques just below.

View attachment 465580
Thank you very much for your advice. I will correct it next time

Back