Pearl knotting with no tools

I give you heaps of cred for starting over at 5ft...I would have ended it there...but then I'm lazy.. lol Well done ! What a shame you got sent the wrong pearls ! But you did put them to good use and you will get lots of wear from that ! Makin lemonade from lemons :)

I did do a two strand piece yesterday and managed to be brave and not use tools on 5 of the knots lol I chickened out after that .. went back to a pin.

Last edited:
The beaders secret works really well. The trick is to hold the knot on top of the pearl. And then grab the two strands and pull so the knot slides even closer to the pearl. These pearls are tight tight tight. And despite the lower quality, they are very pretty especially when twisted into a three strand necklace. They came from youpearl.com and like I said before, the first ones I bought in 2012 were stunning. I will ask for actual pictures next time and if they don't send pics, I won't order.

I just found some gold colored power pro. I bought it at Bass Pro in 50#. I plan to use it with pearls of some sort perhaps creme colored. Any sugestions of what would look good with gold color power pro?

Golden SSP, I expect!

They might make an interesting contrast color with lavender/purple colored FWP also. Purple and yellow are complementary colors, opposites on the color wheel.

Thanks Pearl Dreams. I have some peacock, and some lavender FW I'll try those first. I'll post photo sometime.

Lloyd

I gave up stringing after the GIA stringing course an eternity ago but I won't revisit that topic out of respect for the more um..Sr People here (delicately said with love lol), I am tempted to start again?but it has been so long now I think my attention span is nil and curse my sweaty fingers :mad: at that.

I gave up stringing after the GIA stringing course an eternity ago but I won't revisit that topic out of respect for the more um..Sr People here (delicately said with love lol), I am tempted to start again…but it has been so long now I think my attention span is nil and curse my sweaty fingers :mad: at that.

It is really easy! The Beader's Secret makes it so easy that its hard to mess up! If the knot doesn't land where you want it, just pull the threads and the knot rolls into place. I've knotted a few strands and am getting the hang of it and loving it! I don't think I'd have the patience to use tools and get the knot in the right place every time. The main kinks I've encountered are having the wrong thickness of thread for holes (my holes were larger since they were Tahitians, so I had to quadruple the strands) and trying to figure out how to knot around beads (again related to the size of the thread and the hole). If you need help, Pattye is a whiz and so helpful! Good luck!

BlackPearlDudeDC, I've only done a few strands ... but ... if my worn out carpal tunnel hands can do it, you certainly can ... and Beader's Secret and the wonderful Pattye guarantees success :)

I'm a convert to Beader's Secret and Pattye's special big eye needles. I used both on my last restrung necklace and it's the first time everything worked the first time. And I use no tools, except a hemostat, and I could have even done without that this last time. I do find that knotting does a number on my hands, so I don't do it unless I really need ( or want) to restring a necklace.

I bought a packet of the big eye needles at Michaels craft store but haven't tried them yet. They sell them in 3 gauges.

I made a beading needle from electric wire, however it's not very strong and durable.
I will use my needles from griffin 2m sets, when sets will be empty.
About knotting, I used a sewing needle and nails, it seems the knot is easer to make when you are right ganded, because I saw it's easier when I put the needle in the hole on reverse side.
For the pearl display I made a V shaped groove, and written cm on it, not the best stuff...

I ordered several big eye split needles, and a knotter, also, a beading board...

A beginner here. As a beginner what advice do you have as far as choosing the cord to put your pearls on? I have seen a few videos and am almost ready to give it a try. I have seen some using what is demonstrated in the video and then some using Griffin Silk Bead Cord. I should add though I am wanting my first necklace to be a "Tin Cup" so, should I just opt for chain? I will be using Freshwater Pearls between 5-6mm in size from a temporary strand. I am so excited to get started.

For a Tin Cup style, yes, I'd get chain and wire wrap the pearls onto the lengths of chain.

The chain needs to have links that are wide enough to pass the wire you use through. Rolo chain is nice, I find. As far as the gauge of wire to use for wrapping, it has to be able to pass through both the pearl and the links in the chain.

For knotting, forget using silk. Silk stretches and tangles and knots when you don't want it to. I only use Pattye's Beader's Secret (which is polyester, I believe), and Pattye's big eye needles. Beader's Secret was a revelation to me. My knotting is so much easier and successful with it than when I used beading silk.

Also you will want wire cutters (to cut the chain and the wire) and round-nose pliers (to form the loops).
For consistent sized loops, make a mark on the pliers with a fine tip Sharpie (permanent marker).

Back