Knots between pearls

beck83

Community member
Hi,
I use beader's secret thread in medium using 4 strands and the Japanese method so I don't need tools. However I've just been using an overhand knot between pearls. The knots start to fray very quickly, not a huge amount, but enough for me to want to constantly restring my pearl bracelts. What knots does everyone use between their pearls, as I'm starting to think that my knots are the problem I'm encountering. Thanks for any and all help, especially if their are links to videos. I find that diagrams don't work as well with my brain and how it processes things.
Beck.

Hi,
I use beader's secret thread in medium using 4 strands and the Japanese method so I don't need tools. However I've just been using an overhand knot between pearls. The knots start to fray very quickly, not a huge amount, but enough for me to want to constantly restring my pearl bracelts. What knots does everyone use between their pearls, as I'm starting to think that my knots are the problem I'm encountering. Thanks for any and all help, especially if their are links to videos. I find that diagrams don't work as well with my brain and how it processes things.
Beck.
I would recommend you check out this very nicely detailed thread right here on our forum!
Stringing Tutorial on PG

I use a doubled thread and overhand knots with Beader's Secret (actually called Serafil from Pattye) and my knots do not fray.

After I loop my pears through the overhand knot, I pull the two strands of thread apart to snug the knot up against the pearl.

Are you using a tool of some sort to push the knot up against the pearl? That could be causing the fraying, maybe?

Last edited:
Can you take some photos the next time you get fraying. I'm struggling to understand how knots fray.
Can you see the slight fraying. That's what happens about a month or two after I restring them. Sometimes it happens after two weeks.

Attachments

• 20240116_220453.jpg
    20240116_220453.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
I use a doubled thread and overhand knots with Beader's Secret and my knots do not fray.

After I loop my pears through the overhand knot, I pull the two strands of thread apart to snug the knot up against the pearl.

Are you using a tool of some sort to push the knot up against the pearl? That could be causing the fraying, maybe?
No I like the Japanese method, I believe it's called, where I separate the threads to seat the knot right up against the pearl.

I've see the technique where threads are pulled apart and the pearls are fed through the hole, but they go so quick it's really confusing

I use a doubled thread and overhand knots with Beader's Secret and my knots do not fray.

I've seen methods like this one, but I can never understand how they attach the clasp, and they usually don't go back through the pearls, which I think is more secure.

Beck83,
Just to verify, you are using Beaders Secret from Australia? Some years ago, Bernadette and I were both selling Serafil thread under the "Beaders Secret" brand. It looks to me like your thread may be from a different manufacturer and plyed from shorter pieces of fiber that "fluff up" as you wear your bracelet. Serafil thread, which I continue to offer, is comprised of fine continuous filaments, plyed into very smooth, strong and silky thread.
I think your problem is a factor of the thread construction, not anything you have done or caused by the way you knot.
My style knotting is no tools, overhand knot, pulling the threads apart to seat the knot, then knot back through 4 pearls at beginning and end, just like Pearl Dreams awesome tutorial.

I love watching pearl stringing videos!! So many varied techniques and tips.

Last edited:
Beck83,
Just to verify, you are using Beaders Secret from Australia? Some years ago, Bernadette and I were both selling Serafil thread under the "Beaders Secret" brand. It looks to me like your thread may be from a different manufacturer and plyed from shorter pieces of fiber that "fluff up" as you wear your bracelet. Serafil thread, which I continue to offer, is comprised of fine continuous fibers, plyed into very smooth and silky thread.
I think your problem is a factor of the thread construction, not anything you have done or caused by the way you knot.
My style knotting is no tools, overhand knot, pulling the threads apart to seat the knot, just like Pearl Dreams awesome tutorial.
Hi,
Yes I use Beader's Secret from Bernadette via etsy as she is from Australia too. When I contacted her she was very insistent that it was my technique and not her thread. If it is the thread where would you buy some in Australia that is the serafil?

Are you in Australia and buy beader's secret of Bernadette?

Serafil is sold on large spools as a commercial product, for upholstery and leather goods and such. Perhaps do an internet search "buy Serafil in Australia" and see where that leads. It's not easy to find at retail in the US and the smaller amount of carded thread works for many beaders.

If you go to my etsy store and leave your name and address, I will send you thread in your color choice at no charge, so you can see if it develops the same problem.

Serafil is sold on large spools as a commercial product, for upholstery and leather goods and such. Perhaps do an internet search "buy Serafil in Australia" and see where that leads. It's not easy to find at retail in the US and the smaller amount of carded thread works for many beaders.

If you go to my etsy store and leave your name and address, I will send you thread in your color choice at no charge, so you can see if it develops the same problem.
Thank you Pattye. It looks hard to find in Australia and I'd have to buy online and I'm not sure what would be the equivalent to medium in the beader's secret weight. I'll dm you over at etsy 🤗

Thanks again Pattye for being so so very generous. I feel like I didn't thank you enough in my original response 💜

I think every one of us will have a different method of knotting. Either completely different (you and me) or very slightly as we evolve with practice. How other people knot always fascinates me. I can't resist videoing when I get the chance.

Beck83, you're most welcome!

Wendy, thank you so much for the lovely compliment. Including you, Wendy, many prolific, accomplished knotters here! We all share tips and solve problems together!
Thank you, everyone is so very helpful 🤗💜

I think every one of us will have a different method of knotting. Either completely different (you and me) or very slightly as we evolve with practice. How other people knot always fascinates me. I can't resist videoing when I get the chance.
Can you recommend some videos? I've found quite a few on YouTube but I find them fascinating as well.

Back