Pearl knotting with no tools

Thank you every one. I did stick it. I think this is the same technique as Hisano's, isn't it? Anyway, they (H+ J) promised to make one TWO summers ago, and where is it? Hummphh. So, the ol' pearl mom decided to fill the gap until the pros come along with a video! The kitchen is still torn up and that is where the best light is, so it will be a few more days before I make the new one.

Wendy I love your voice and those English phrases, too. And I bet my hands are bigger than yours! neenu, neenu, neenu!

LOL! I haven't tried this method yet, but now that I have the video, I will. I can't wait for the next videos. So, can I get PowerPro at the hardware store?

Great video Catilin. I enjoyed watching you knotting. Is there anyway you can post another additional video with a close up as you create the knot? It doesn't look like you are putting pressure on the top of the pearl to keep the knot close to the hole, or are you?
LFS, I will do so. No, there is no pressure, just enough to hold it. The trick is in the flip- make sure you cross the thread over the top pearl so it is touching as you flip. I will be happy to do it again, this was probably just a rough draft. the close-up sounds like a good idea.

It really wasn't that hard to make a video. Maybe some of you guys should try it, too. How about one on wire wrapping for dangle earrings? Pattye showed me how years ago and even gave me the right tool, but I would like to follow someone, as I start sweating at the very idea of trying to wrap neatly. Argh...

Maybe a fishing tackle store, but there a a number of sellers on eBay. I got my thick spool from Hye on Beads- Suzanne Hye, but she wasn't there the last time I ordered. (She had the Virchik video and was one of Virtik's proteges).I have bought power pro from Cabela's on line, though I know they have stores, too. Just don't get cute and buy yellow of red! It runs dreadfully. It goes in the water to catch fish, I don't know why it would run because the water would turn red or yellow, So, don't do it.

You might also check Pattye's Etsy store, she sells a nylon or polyester (I think) thread that comes in so many colors! I don't know how it slides, but I am sure it is better sliding than silk, (If the silk is not sliding, try waxing it) I am going to try Pattye's thread soon. The lack of colors is the worst limitation of Power pro.

Food for thought! I have a bunch of colored nylon thread, but I think getting some PowerPro sounds like a good idea. I'm sure it would come in handy for more than pearls and fishing. ;)

I've used silk, poly top stitch thread, Japanese nylon, Silkon nylon, Power Pro and Beaders Secret (the poly thread that Pattye sells on Etsy). I love the look and drape of silk, but with heavier beads and for bracelets, it is just not practical. I use Power Pro (purchased at a tackle shop) for strands including metal or glass beads that might have rough edges because it is really hard to abrade, but it also seems to chew into my fingers if I don't tape them up before starting a project. My favorite all around thread is the Beaders Secret for these reasons: the weight fits doubled through most standard drilled pearls (0.5 -0.6mm), with large holed beads I have knotted successfully with 3 doubled strands, knots slide well and you can really tug without breakage, it is not prone to tangling and it comes in oodles of yummy colors :)

There you go. I know its going to be good, but I just didn't want to try it the first time in a video. I know Power pro is rough because people tell me it is. I don't even notice anymore, esp. on its 8 and 10 lb weights.

And I use it for all kinds of hand sewing GG. It is fabulous for ribbons on toe shoes, many fewer stitches needed though my dance mom days ended three years ago (sigh). I used the lightweight to do a hem and the 20 lb on a curtain I fixed a pants zipper coming loose in the middle and a leather bag. It's now the only thread in my 'emergency' sewing kit. I sewed on lots of buttons, fewer stitches, lasts longer. Oh yeah and if you like to fish, its the greatest! My hubby also uses duct tape and bailing wire for everything, so this simplicity thing runs in the family.

You should always keep in mind that I am not into finesse for very many things. That may have something to do with the fact that the lowly beader's club was named after me because I used those lowly dyed purple, chartreuse, and turquoise commercial pearls for my creations and when everyone else was doing AAA white pearls and no one on the forum was stringing their own, except the people who sold them. (The peaches and lavenders were barely just becoming major sellers). Slraep and Zeide used to rib me mercilessly because they were so la dee da about their pearls, then I would say, but "I am just a lowly beader." LOL. Then Jeremy used it to name this sub forum. People used to think it was a funny name, because the creations that started showing up here quickly became very high quality. But it began in a lowly way.:eek:

Thanks for all the great advice. This is also one of my favorite places. We learn from each other, get ideas from each other, and we are inspired by each other. What could be better than that? :cool:

Blaire,
I've bought Power Pro from Sport Authority, Cabela's online, Gander Mountain (I don't think they have stores in CA) in large spools when they are on sale. I usually use 50 lb green for Tahitian pearls and 30 lb white for other stuffs. Bass Pro Shop carries it too.

Caitlin,
Hisano's method is slightly different. After the overhand knot she uses her left thumb and index to spread and hold the loop taut and tug the thread with the right hand. Then slip the third finger over the top of the pearl and the knot. Gently pull with the right hand to tighten the loop. As the loop gets pulled smaller then pull out the third finger. Give a quick pull with right hand so the loop closes quickly after the 3rd finger is pulled out. The trick is to pull the finger out at the last minute when the loop becomes smaller and almost wrapping itself over the 3rd finger. I know it sounds confusing without picture.

Thanks Cathy. We have a Sports Authority here. Before you said that, I was looking for an excuse to go down and have lunch at Point Loma Seafood tomorrow (where they have bait & tackle shops!) :)

GemGeek-- Power Pro is sold by Artbeads.com. I don't find it hard on my hands, but then I don't do a whole lot of knotting.

Do Pattye's Serafil or Beader's Secret stretch with time or use of heavier beads?

Last edited:
So far it has withstood the weight of an often worn 65" rope of 9-10mm pearls and the frequent pulling on my larger bead nucleated strand by 2 grand babies who are fascinated by them (well they do have some nice luster) :)

Well, that sounds strong enough!

Does it fray?
Does it twist (the way silk cord does) and make knots where you don't want them?

Last edited:
I have not had trouble with twisting or unwanted knots. I do keep tight control of the tension when bringing the thread back down through the last pearl with the gimp and the clasp and that seems to minimize any twisting that is prone to happen at this point in the process. Did that make sense?

The one time it did fray was my fault for not paying attention with my tweezers... (that is the way I learned 20 years ago and some day I'll learn tool free.... when I am not in a hurry to get something finished :) )

Thanks Marianne. I may give it a try the next time I want to restring some of my colored pearls.

Hisano's method is slightly different. After the overhand knot she uses her left thumb and index to spread and hold the loop taut and tug the thread with the right hand. Then slip the third finger over the top of the pearl and the knot. Gently pull with the right hand to tighten the loop. As the loop gets pulled smaller then pull out the third finger. Give a quick pull with right hand so the loop closes quickly after the 3rd finger is pulled out. The trick is to pull the finger out at the last minute when the loop becomes smaller and almost wrapping itself over the 3rd finger. I know it sounds confusing without picture.

This PP's youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O12P1OaMCe8 from a few years ago is similar to Hisano's technique in that one left finger puts pressure on the knot on top of the pearl while pulling the thread with right hand.

Back