My collection of antique pearls...

hbyrne

Hello there!
I'm new to the forum, but have been collecting pearls (and other antique jewellery) for some years and thought I'd like to share my little collection of older pearl jewellery...hopefully for some comments on their origin too ;-) I've just started the GIA course and am gradually picking up knowledge...this forum helps such a lot, but it seems there is so MUCH to potentially learn!

The graduated seed pearl necklace is Georgian/Victorian...does anyone know where these type of pearls were harvested? They are smallest 1mm!! I'm too scared to wear them, as if they broke...that'd be it!

The bouton drop earrings are circa 1900 and are on handmade wires and have teeny rose-cut diamonds at the top...could these be freshwater?

I've LOTS of questions, but hope it is ok to post just a couple here?? Or maybe I should've posted in the 'what do I have here then?' forum?!!

Best wishes to you all :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 39
I've LOTS of questions, but hope it is ok to post just a couple here??

This is a nice collection.

First impressions suggest you have a mix of natural and early cultured pearls, however we'd need to see each of these pieces in closer detail.

Likewise please comment on any hallmarks, metals or other features.

Ooer, interesting collection, thanks for sharing!

DK :)

Lovely, I love vintage jewelry. It can be very addictive ;) The pin with the multi colored pearls, I've seen that before. It's an amazing piece and I adore the seed pearl necklace as well. Congrats to you in regards to enrolling in the GIA course!

Great stuff - and let me chime in that I can't wait for close-ups and detail shots of the construction. :)

Such beautiful and timeless pieces! Also looking forward to some close-up photos.

Thanks for all your encouragement...its a joy to share my finds :)

I'm going to have to get better at this photography lark, but here are a few closer pics...

Itsy, bitsy, teeny, weeny pearl necklace is 28 inches in length and graduates from 1mm to 1.8mm...how on earth were these graded, let alone threaded? I've repaired one like this before, but with regular sized pearls, the sheer concentration involved made me so tense and I ended up making weekly visits to the osteopath for a couple of months..ow!!image.jpgimage.jpg

Here are the earrings I'm particularly fond of...and curious about!

They are set in 18ct yellow gold and silver (no marks, but tested), with handmade fittings...I've only once before seen similar mounts. Teeny rose cut Diamonds to the top...bouton shaped pearls are mounted on curved custom made bars and presumably centre back drilled..slightly different sizes, 9mm and 8.5mm..circa 1900...no idea what kind of pearls these are...quite a hazy lustre..

I'd appreciate any thoughts any of you might have???
Thanks in anticipation, image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHelen

Pattye
Thanks for yr reply :) The pearls on the ears are q creamy, but praps more like the first pic. Maybe they are freshwater? I've been reading up about candling, and I'm going to try it on some of them, to see how it works...

I work with vintage and antique pearls daily, and dream of knowing their source but it appears as tho' it might be a life's work to attain that kind of subtle knowledge!!

Hi there, all your pieces are fabulous antique items, and I would think several are natural pearls.

Maybe the GIA course will help you identify these, or you could try the candling method in this thread https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5558. Will be interested to hear any results.

I'm a fairly determined antique and vintage jewelry collector and would rate all your pictured pieces as "keepers". I particularly like both sets of earrings and the seed pearl necklace.

Also that pearl and diamond? pendant? in front of the brooch box looks interesting, can you show a close-up?

What a shame you don't feel comfortable wearing your seed pearl necklace, it is a stunner, and the perfect piece to set off either pair of earrings, a ring or two and a brooch. Maybe they just need restringing to give you the confidence to wear them?

I'm not sure where the Georgians and Victorians sourced their seed pearls, I'd be interested to hear comments from anyone who knows the answer.

Last edited:
Those earrings "you are particularly fond of" are quite beautiful and that seed necklace is just gorgeous! I agree with kiwipaul...have that strand restrung and wear it with those earrings ~ what a spectacular set they would make!

Kiwipaul and LitGeek, thank you for your comments...I assume the seed pearl necklace is strung on silk, and I've just had a look...it seems to be in good order. I was always told that the oils in our skin are good for pearls, so maybe after being kept soooo carefully for soooo many years it needs an outing!

I'll take some pics of the pendant, kiwipaul :)

I've got to go with seed pearls too. Too randomly strung for naturals. As beautiful as that piece is, I wouldn't do it that way unless I had a substantial source.

The earrings appear to have a bit of champagne structure. Champagne tends to be a mussel pearl feature as opposed to pinctada. My usage of the term differs from SS farms where champagne is a color, but I use it to describe an effervescence which is visible throughout the pearl. However, cultured freshwater pearls can present this way and Biwa comes to mind. Either way, they're quite collectable.

All of these merit more attention, but I'm not seeing Bahraini features in this collection, except perhaps the brooch in the box.

The pendant, possibly a river pearl. Again, need more views.

If it's possible to candle some of these, it would help greatly.

These were bought in a flea market. The pearls are 4.5 mm x 3.5 mm x 3 mm ( + - ) any idea what they are?

DSC_9150.jpg DSC_0163.jpg DSC_0162.jpg

Girls, thanks for the compliments, but what do you think they really are? You know...... the type ;) (I made them into a necklace, knotted between each pearl)

DSC_0161.jpg

Last edited:
Back