My collection of antique pearls...

Pattye, these I know are Bahraini. (same size as mine)

DSC_1310.jpg

That seed pearl necklace is gorgeous! I would love to find a piece like that one day!

In the first photo they seemed to have a pinkish cast, which made me think fw is likely. But seeing them with your own eyes, Nora, and perhaps seeing many more natural Bahraini pearls in person which I certainly hope they are, would help you evaluate them. Caitlin's Bahraini pearls are the only ones I've seen in person, so without any provenance given, I'm not likely to guess Bahraini. Can you tell us more?

It's hard to ID with any certainty from a photo. They are fairly uniform, which suggests cultured pearls. They are truly lovely. :)

Lagoonislandpearls, thank you for yr insights...had a little try at candling, but not with great success (need at least two pairs of hands!) but, i think the earrings show a centre to them. I'm going to try and put together a similar candling box arrangement to that suggested in yr thread. This is FUN!!
Helen
image.jpgimage.jpg

You are on to it!

Perhaps try a sheet of thin cardboard with a small hole. The trick is to mask the stray light, but allowing enough to saturate the pearl.

Then you could use a piece of tape to hold it in place, freeing up a hand.

Can you tell us more?

I have decided to go on a natural pearls hunt since Israel, like the US and Australia is a country of immigrants. Many families who came from Iran (Persia) and Iraq brought with them natural pearls.
At the first antique shop I entered on one of the bussiest commercial streets of T-A, I found natural pearls, but I was so enthusiastic about them, that the shop owner raised the price..... I left empty handed, but I learned my lesson.... ;)

I have no idea about those pearls I'm showing here. I found them in a very dark "cave" full of dusty and forgotten antiques of all kinds, but no other jewelry.
The very old shopkeeper was sleeping.....

Two strands of small pearls, the only ones he had, were laying on the bottom a very dusty cabinet. The pearls had to be puled by a slight force because he could not open the doors of this cabin.
He said that he had them for more than 40 years. I paid $56 for the two strands.

That's the story. What do you think?

Sorry hbyme and Dave for interrupting........

I love the candling photos. You can guess at their nature, but since they grow without a bead, they often have the same inner structure as natural pearls. I think you are on an exciting adventure. Dress scruffy and don't whip out a loupe. Reading glasses draw less attention - just get a super-high power pair for the hunt. ;)

Nora, they're lovely! My tip, at markets or fairs, if you see something you're interested in...don't go for that first...test the water with other items...cheeky, I know ;-)

My tip, at markets or fairs, if you see something you're interested in...don't go for that first...test the water with other items...cheeky, I know ;-)

Thanks hbyme :) that is exactly what I am doing right now with another "natural" I've seen........ ;)

Dave, may I ask how you see the 'flame' in Naturals (or lack of it) in some of the photos posted here on PG? Do you enlarge the pic as much as you can, then do something with a program or something to clarify what you're seeing? When I enlarge to look for what you've described I only get so far, then I get blurred beyond fine detail.

I'm on a laptop now, not a tablet or an iphone anymore. Maybe your screen resolution is super-high or something? Thanks

Well, I finally look a few more pics...of the pendant....I'm not sure what the candled pic tells me? And I also tried candling the brooch (which has now become my profile pic) ....any ideas anyone? image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Maybe you could add these to the candled thread? You might get some help there :)

Back