Trying to find replacement seed pearls for antique piece.

How odd, the locket and the other side of the watch didn't load. Try again:
art_deco_enamel_watch1.jpg
silver_enamel_locket.jpg

OOOO! Wow! What amazing pieces! The brooch(and the pearls) are gorgeous and the color transition of the enamel leaves is really remarkable. I really LOVE the lavender guilloche locket, you don't see a lot of that color either. And the deco watch is fantastic. You have almost all the enameling examples right there. Then there is Plique a jour and Cloisonne....ah, so much to jewelry to love! :)

I was looking all over for this watch... finally found it. The back is in lovely shape, but the front is missing some enamel. I took a close up so you can see the engraving on the metal under the enamel.
enamel_watch_back.jpg
enamel_watch_front.jpg

Lisa that is absolutely stunning !!!

And the tiny pearls can be hard to find at most wholesalers. I was looking for some 3-4mm ( which is not that small) and most places didn't have them -They were to repair the Crowns on some religious statues for someone. At the HK show there is a company that seems to deal only in teeny weeny pearls - amazing to look into the bins filled with these loose pearls. Makes you want to run your hands through them .

So Katbran, are these teensy pearls all jumbled together, or sorted by colors and quality like bigger pearls? What a thread, I’m rating 5 stars here, it’s such an interesting thread!

linda, I’m ogling your watch now, it looks like it has gold elements? The band and stem parts on mine are sterling. I can hear the oooohs and aaaaahs as we absorb these works of art. Happy sighs.

Lisa c, the back of the turquoise watch is marked sterling, so I assume it is gilt or vermeil. It has never worked; I bought it for the enamel. The art deco watch does work, and is fun, except the chain is so long it is a bit of trouble. I often wonder about the people who wore my older pieces. For this one, i am sure they never had to unload a shopping cart!

They are all sorted by size and grade . Really interesting to see... I'd go blind trying to match them !
So Katbran, are these teensy pearls all jumbled together, or sorted by colors and quality like bigger pearls? What a thread, I’m rating 5 stars here, it’s such an interesting thread!

linda, I’m ogling your watch now, it looks like it has gold elements? The band and stem parts on mine are sterling. I can hear the oooohs and aaaaahs as we absorb these works of art. Happy sighs.

Oooh, I dearly love everything in this post! Guilloche enamel is fascinating to me, I've always wanted one of those ladies' pocket watches, but never managed to find one myself in a sweet spot of condition and pricing :). Gorgeous pieces, ladies, just gorgeous! I'd quite forgotten about the watch/clock shop in Allentown, Gigi! I used to stop in there, after I took a clock repair class a number of years ago, to pick up an occasional part or a gallon of cleaning fluid. I only ever worked on bigger clocks although my grandfather did all kinds. I was just thinking about calling there in fact, as I have a cuckoo clock being stubborn, and an antique family clock that's run for generations suddenly refusing to run. More often than not, a good cleaning will fix most issues, sometimes a minor part, although with watches, it can get WAY more complicated. Thanks for the fun post ladies!!!

Thanks for that information Kathbran! I’m awestruck by the sorters’ skills, and the knowledge you and others share here.

and Cathy, you’re amazing. It makes sense though, doesn’t it? Why not learn a skill and be self-sufficient? It’s the fun way to live.

(except, note to self, I like to eat and do not want to be dependent upon my food-producing, harvesting, or cooking skills. Neither does anyone else who used to be dependent upon me.)

Last edited:
What treasures, hope you find some replacements pearls soon.

Back