My Amazing Kamoka Valentine!

Happy Valentine's Day, pattye. I love these carved Kamokas, and was delighted when Josh put some carved shells and a couple of carved pearls on his web site. But, I didn't pull the trigger until I saw your posting here.

Here is my Kamoka shell. It certainly appears to be done by the same talented artist and has the same design elements. I see a tailed sea creature on the left side and ocean waves on the right side. Yours clearly has a flower in the middle, while my husband and I are still discussing what the element is in the center of mine. I'd be curious what people think.

Thank you so much for posting photos of your shell collection.

KamokaShell.jpg

Pattye and Red, your pearly treasures are gorgeous ... thanks for sharing !

Red, Wow, that's a beauty! I see the iridescence in your shell also! Thank you for sharing it! Happy Valentine's Day to you, Red and all my P-G friends!

Lots of fascinating and historical info online by searching "Tahitian tattoo symbols", and similar topics, which I am discovering.

Beautiful, Red!

The little ridges reminded me right away of the toothed-edge look of a cowrie shell, or a trumpet shell. Perhaps it is impressionistic and we are to imagine the creature living within its shell?

Beautiful, Red!

The little ridges reminded me right away of the toothed-edge look of a cowrie shell, or a trumpet shell. Perhaps it is impressionistic and we are to imagine the creature living within its shell?

I thought it looked a bit like a snail, but I'm a life-long Midwesterner, so I have no experience with sea shells. But, we are thinking along the same lines.

Looking again I think it's a little Tahitian oyster with a pearl peeking out from inside.

Gorgeous treasures, ladies! Looking forward to yours as well, Jersey Pearl.

Red thanks for showing us your new shell beauty, it looks like a mythical sea creature to me. Maybe Josh can provide more details on the carvings.

Red thanks for showing us your new shell beauty, it looks like a mythical sea creature to me. Maybe Josh can provide more details on the carvings.

If Josh doesn't respond I will be out on the farm in May and will see if I can get any more information on the shells and designs. Also meeting with a traditional tattooist so he might shed some light on the designs and there meanings.

These shells are all so beautiful and the carvings accentuate the glow of the shells. A perfect match!

I just saw the sea shell collection! Those S African shells are beautiful! I had some shells from my scuba diving days but I don't know where they all went. :confused:

Back