Misrepresentation or miseducation?

BlackPearlDudeDC

There is a particular vendor on ebay that I used to buy from (not pearls), and recently I've noticed they are selling pearls. "Vintage 5mm tahitian pearls" that are rare for the 1920's time period. I actually emailed them my dismay at seeing the listing, but no reply (No surprise there right?) fast forward to a couple of weeks later, they have even more 5mm Tahitian pearls from the 1920's listed.

Question? Has anyone ever heard of 5mm tahitian pearls that are so expertly color matched they almost look like dyed cultured freshwater pearls? Or has anyone seen nearly round tahitian keshi pearls that would fit this description? I am not going to bother contacting them again (I just won't buy anything else) but I noticed the original item was bid on and won (not for a terribly high price, maybe over priced for FWP…but at auction that is the risk you run by overbidding)

I'm hesistant to provide a link, just because I don't want to smear anyone's reputation. I'm more curious if I am on the wrong side of this, my guts tell me no way.

Last edited:
Black pearls were very popular in the 1920's, but they were dyed akoyas, not tahitian. 5mm diameter sounds like akoyas.

I don't think they were truly from the 1920's though :( maybe early to mid 1990s

I am horrified by all the pearl misrepresentation on eBay. Freshwater pearls are constantly listed as akoya, South Sea, and Tahitian, for starters and nothing much seems to be done about it.

It would be great if there was an online "Pearl Hall of Shame."

The sad part is it creates distrust of/or at least makes it harder for the honest upstanding dealers on eBay. It is quite sad. Even the well meaning, I am finding won't do much to correct or educate themselves. Here in the USA Often times things are listed in direct violations of FTC guidelines etc…

I am horrified by all the pearl misrepresentation on eBay. Freshwater pearls are constantly listed as akoya, South Sea, and Tahitian, for starters and nothing much seems to be done about it.

It would be great if there was an online "Pearl Hall of Shame."

I found a listing for a tahitian cortez pearl. Didn't know that combo existed ! LOL! Sad for those who think this might be real.

If it is the seller I ran across after reading your note above…they've listed multiple pearls with that exact detail/desc.

I found a listing for a tahitian cortez pearl. Didn't know that combo existed ! LOL! Sad for those who think this might be real.

You have far more experience with pearls than I do, if you think they are new CFWP then they probably are.

The sad part is the sellers had such a great start, before they became "bigger" with finer jewelry items, initially they were pretty humble sellers. Now they list everything as being from the 1920's when clearly the items are not vintage. Plus I notice people often mix-up the term vintage, estate and antique.

BPDDC, I think I saw the listing you are talking about. The heavy purple/blue coloring clearly indicates dyed pearls to me. My money is on newer freshwaters, too.

Dyed Chinese freshwater - 100%.

Given that the entire story is a complete fabrication, all the way down to the "hand-etched filigree clasp," it certainly looks like intentional misrepresentation. The seller also has several listings for akoya pieces from the "1940 Art Deco" era, but none of them are graduated and are probably no more than 10 years old or so.

Jeremy - As you can see I started this thread last year, but I did not specifically point them out because I was not 100 percent certain it was willful deceit.

Eventually I just stopped following them on eBay. I was so disgusted by their dishonesty (every item in their store is "Vintage" according to them). I emailed them a couple of times to explain the incorrect statements in several past listings and I directed them to FTC guidelines. Clearly they are not interested in the truth and honesty...as the willful deceit continues. Sad to see this as they had such a great beginning with their store. :-(

Dyed Chinese freshwater - 100%.

Given that the entire story is a complete fabrication, all the way down to the "hand-etched filigree clasp," it certainly looks like intentional misrepresentation. The seller also has several listings for akoya pieces from the "1940 Art Deco" era, but none of them are graduated and are probably no more than 10 years old or so.

Btw this was their reply to me:

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your opinion. We will stand by our professional opinion that these are authentic natural antique Tahitian pearls and are not freshwater pearls.

- aumiagoldandsilverjewelry

What's really sad is that people have bid on them...At least the price isn't outrageous for dyed freshwaters.
I just looked and they are up to $55.00 on the bid. That is WAY overpriced. The rest of their jewelry seems to be more or less what they claim it to be, so I would trust their word on the pearls, if I didn't know. by more or less, I mean I think those are akoyas, even if dated wrong.

You might tell them that we are discussing them and have a link to that page going. Maybe some pearl police will notice the link, LOL. You haven't mentioned their name or shop on this thread, yet, but if you do, this thread will come up when the shop name or the vender's name comes up on the web.

Remember that Bali-dude guy? He had to abandon his ebay shop name as it got all over the internet, due to a number of unhappy buyers, even before the Pearl Police found him. He seems to have quit ebay altogether since then.

Seller is aumiagoldandsilverjewelry

Their Sold listings for similar "Tahitians" are a horror show-- bids reached $431.57 for one necklace and $305.00 for another.

Both are clearly dyed freshwater pearls.

Pearl-Guide is an invaluable resource for buyers, but it can't help those who don't do their homework before buying. :(

They mention in their description how they came to be full-time on eBay- but obviously to make it your only source of income, you need a few moneymakers like 7mm "Tahitian blue" pearls. They will probably not let go of this item and price it right, it's too much profit to toss away.

We can change the name of the thread to their business name any time we want. But maybe some pearl police will warn them before we resort to that measure.

I am rather disturbed by this statement in their listing, which I have copied and pasted:

“In all cases, prospective buyers are responsible for determining the physical condition of lots. The printed conditions in the description and seller notes entry are based on opinion only and are provided for guidance only. The pictures provided are a part of the description and detail any damage not noted. Antique, used, vintage jewelry WILL have broken, chipped, missing stones, wear, and other damage or imperfections commensurate with age not including in the seller notes or description, please view the pictures for detail. Weights and gold value's stated are Approximate and not guaranteed, this includes stones etc in the weight. Age stated in the title and descriptions are opinionated based on sellers experience & is in no way guaranteed to be such. Stones are opinions, & could be different. As in all cases we have a 100% no questions asked hassle free send back policy. If you decide to send back a item you are responsible for following the instructions we include in every package.”

I have added the italics.

Back