Misrepresentation or miseducation?

That is doublespeak for BUYER BEWARE! LOL. Only this isn't a laughing matter.

Someone needs to write a good buyers guide for pearls for over there.

Hi Caitlin-

I have a had few communications with this seller. At this point I don't think it would make a difference to them that we've discussed them here.

Last year I was hesistant to mention the name. However considering they've kept on doing this even after me letting them know the first couple of times and even more recently after their arrogant reply (and their considered professional opinion on Tahitian Pearls), they know they are wrong, additionally I've gently directed them to source information etc. I am proud I did not drop my professional credentials into the conversation (since they are big on sticking by professional opinion over facts). All that said I've come to the conclusion they don't mind being deceitful, so I did add their seller name to my post earlier today, it is with a copy of their reply to me.

If you guys think it is beneficial to the wider public, then please do add their name to the Topic thread. I like looking out for the "Little" Guy, but not when the little guy is out to misinform and abuses trust through willful misinformation...it makes it harder on all of us in the Gem/Jewelry industry, particularly online sellers attempt to do right by the customer.

Their reply saddened me because I really liked how they operated when the store first opened, but you are right and I agree Shame on them.

If only shame were a strong enough deterrent:(

Shame on them!!!

Not sure how many PG pearl police were on the case...but the auction is now closed.

Well I guess they have pretty well covered everything lol

Pearls aren't the only problem ..basically they say that everything might be fake but they want you to pay as if it's real.. I mean seriously it's like saying 'what you buy may or may not be what we have said it is..we think we know but could be absolutely wrong about everything'.. how ridiculous is this? Heres a 20ct Citrine set in 14t gold...but it might be glass and the gold might be plate....but we want 600$ ... geeeez

I went over there and looked. I don't know about any other kind of jewelry, but their silver Southwest/Indian jewelry is authentic and very typically priced.

Now you see my past dilemma? When they started out that is where they were, the Southwest jewelry, jewelry going to melt etc...all seemingly authentic. I've purchased from them in the past. At the end of the day though misrepresenting many of their "1920's" and 1940's jewelry items is still wrong, and the attitude once told about the CFWP, well that could've gone either way and they made the choice to stand by misinformation :-(.

They ended the auction I think, and I hope they will relist them for what they are. I certainly wish them no ill will, in fact I wish them success but through honesty and accurate information. Jeremy is right though...they have quite a few items labeled as 1920's etc...it seems they want use the "Buyer Beware" policy to get around doing due diligence ensuring they've described the items truthfully.

I went over there and looked. I don't know about any other kind of jewelry, but their silver Southwest/Indian jewelry is authentic and very typically priced.

Pareltje- Hi there. I'm not surprised by the link sadly. I can't ever recall JP Kasumi pearls looking like that. There is a lot of cannibalization of pearls between Etsy and Ebay.

The vendor that prompted this thread seems to have a "template" and continually lists obvious dyed black freshwater pearls as Vintage tahitians...which is as laughable as it is dishonest, if they were trying to pass them off as Akoya that would be more worrisome, but either way they are not interested in truth, I say that due to their replies to me when I've tried to explain their pearls are NOT Tahitians. I am not out to give anyone a bad reputation so I won't post their smug replies. At the time I was hoping the PG pearl police would jump in. To this date the vendor still lists this way, I've given up.

I just don't know who is truly misinformed and who is just out to rip people off. I go by the facts, the ripoff artist dips and dodges or ignores altogether, the misinformed takes the time to update their listings when put on notice, thats all I will say.

I was hoping the Pearl Police jumped in on them too when I posted this.

The original post I said I would not contact them, but after the seller doing it multiple times, I bit the bullet and politely (if not elegantly) chimed in told them of the error. Their smug reply was they have a gemologist on staff or something like that and they stand behind their product descriptions. I did not know Gemology diplomas were being handed out from inside cereal boxes...:mad:,
The dishonest gemologist (when they really are gemologist) just makes it so much harder for the world of gemology, with their profit over people mentality.

They mention in their description how they came to be full-time on eBay- but obviously to make it your only source of income, you need a few moneymakers like 7mm "Tahitian blue" pearls. They will probably not let go of this item and price it right, it's too much profit to toss away.

We can change the name of the thread to their business name any time we want. But maybe some pearl police will warn them before we resort to that measure.

Here is his latest fake Tahitian auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vin...153286?hash=item48920fc8c6:g:OBUAAOSwvzRXyb1b
He knows what he's doing and doesn't care. Sadly, a good percentage of the ebay pearl sellers are like that. I can spot many fakes or misrepresentations, but there are still some I have a hard time figuring out (good quality fw vs south seas). I now approach ebay pearl auctions with the belief the pearl is fake unless they can prove it is what they say it is through pictures, receipts, etc... When they don't give facts, or post several good quality photos, that's usually a red flag for me.

Anti- Glad you posted that link, I did not want to come across as stalkerish lol.

Here is his latest fake Tahitian auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vin...153286?hash=item48920fc8c6:g:OBUAAOSwvzRXyb1b
He knows what he's doing and doesn't care. Sadly, a good percentage of the ebay pearl sellers are like that. I can spot many fakes or misrepresentations, but there are still some I have a hard time figuring out (good quality fw vs south seas). I now approach ebay pearl auctions with the belief the pearl is fake unless they can prove it is what they say it is through pictures, receipts, etc... When they don't give facts, or post several good quality photos, that's usually a red flag for me.

Pareltje- Hi there. I'm not surprised by the link sadly. I can't ever recall JP Kasumi pearls looking like that. There is a lot of cannibalization of pearls between Etsy and Ebay.

The vendor that prompted this thread seems to have a "template" and continually lists obvious dyed black freshwater pearls as Vintage tahitians...which is as laughable as it is dishonest, if they were trying to pass them off as Akoya that would be more worrisome, but either way they are not interested in truth, I say that due to their replies to me when I've tried to explain their pearls are NOT Tahitians. I am not out to give anyone a bad reputation so I won't post their smug replies. At the time I was hoping the PG pearl police would jump in. To this date the vendor still lists this way, I've given up.

I just don't know who is truly misinformed and who is just out to rip people off. I go by the facts, the ripoff artist dips and dodges or ignores altogether, the misinformed takes the time to update their listings when put on notice, thats all I will say.

Hi BlackPearlDudeDC,
I've seen an Ebay vendor which has exactly the same pictures used by the vendor on Etsy. While I love to go hunt for cheap pearls for my beadwork I can't help but feel very sorry for those who are not informed about pearls, who get the wrong thing for a lot of money. If only consumers would do a research first before purchasing something either on Etsy or Ebay...A few years ago I saw a listing on Ebay, a pair of pink freshwater pearls which were listed as south sea pearls....

That's dyed freshwater pearls. There are some reputable Ebay vendors and I believe some of them are also members here.
I'm curious if they are not dyed nuked freshwater pearls http://www.ebay.com/itm/stunning-AA...616806?hash=item33bd70c6a6:g:MrwAAOSwV0RXs40y
The price is too good to be true Tahitians of that quality

No way those are the pearls you'd get for that price.... I like his big explanation about how they might not look the same..but don't leave a bad review..just message them and they will replace or refund. And the best line ... if you are very particular buyer, please buy from other salers, please understand!"

That sounds suspicious, Katbran...

That sounds suspicious, Katbran...

Lol, I am just reading this. I am hoping GemGeek posts her story on eBay pearl buying soon. She had a great presentation at the ruckus. She purchased something like 20 items from different eBay sellers in China with huge feedback numbers and showed pictures of what was represented and then the actual product received.

Every strand of Tahitian, South Sea and akoya was garbage-grade freshwater.

Every clasp stamped 14 karat was fake.

It's fraud on an industrial scale.

Jeremy, perhaps GemGeek also has to start doing her research on Etsy pearls too.
There are reputable sellers on Etsy, that I don't doubt. But in the previous answer I mentioned the similarity of pearl pictures between an Etsy seller (it seems she is located in the US) and an Ebay seller in Australia. I don't want to mention names anymore here although I did include the link to the pearl necklace I meant. I think the vendor in US bought her stock from the Ebay vendor in Australia or China and sells the pearls as vintage necklace or sometimes Japanese Kasumi pearls.
It's fun to go to Ebay to spot the fakes, it's a training for my eyes and my gut feeling.
A few years ago I stumbled upon an Ebay vendor located in NY which listed a pair of pink freshwater pearls but the seller called them south sea pearls and the price was outrageously expensive: about 500 bucks for a pair of drop-shaped fwp, not even metallic.
I still think the best way for us, consumers, is to educate ourselves as much as possible about the merchandise that we are buying, and be aware of the traps. The pearl pictures on PG have helped me identify the real from the fakes and the difference between look-alikes (i.e. akoya vs metallic fwp). That is one of the missions of Pearl Guide and the CPAA pearl course here, I hope, to educate people as much as possible about pearls - and about other things too like...jade, cooking, etc lol....
Oh yes please let GemGeek post the result of her research here.

Last edited:
Back