Mikimoto or No?

Dreamin_Sqaw

Hi to all,
New here, found you via a google search about this pearl necklace clasp.

I have a large collection of vintage costume jewelry that was left to me by a 92 year old lady that I took care of before her passing. Inside this collection was a couple pearl necklace.She knew I loved collecting and researching things and she told me that some of the items may help me out financially after she passed. I was with her 12 hours a day,7 days a week. we became extremely close and she knew I would be between jobs at her passing. Now, that does not mean that anything in the collection is extremely valuable. It has been 2 years since she passed and I am now able to start my research.I think most of her goal was to keep me busy researching. She was a retired school teacher.

I started researching this clasp it is marked "10K M" and it lead me here. I have read many of the threads tonight and conclude the best info I can get is right here from all of you.

From here I have learned that the "M" may be Mikimoto. But, I can not see the "shell" that should be around the "M".

I am posting a couple of photo's showing the clasp and to let you see the coloring, trouble is the pearls you will see are only a few by the clasp. I will load more.

The pearls are all here, but sadly some are loose. I broke the "string"/"strand" . I will take more photos tomorrow to show all of the pearls.

Thanks to you all for any help

Attachments

• IMAG4018.jpg
    IMAG4018.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG4012.jpg
    IMAG4012.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMAG4008.jpg
    IMAG4008.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMAG4016.jpg
    IMAG4016.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG4009.jpg
    IMAG4009.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 35
Also, do you know if this coloring is true or just dingy from age. She had these for many, many years. She traveled a lot. I don't know where she got these but I know that she was not able to travel the past 30 years due to health reason.

Hi there,

Unfortunately that is not a Mikimoto clasp. Mikimoto always stamped their clasps with the "M in a clamshell" logo on the back of the clasp, not on the "fish-hook".

The clasp looks to be a generic style produced in the millions since the 1930's to present day, and from the little I can see of the pearls, they appear to be faux (imitation),
you can see where the exterior coating is flaking off the beads next to the clasp.

Thanks so much Kiwipaul.

I am determined to learn all I can about the pearls, regardless if mine have value or not. Im amazed with them now. lol thanks again.

Hi there,

Unfortunately that is not a Mikimoto clasp. Mikimoto always stamped their clasps with the "M in a clamshell" logo on the back of the clasp, not on the "fish-hook".

The clasp looks to be a generic style produced in the millions since the 1930's to present day, and from the little I can see of the pearls, they appear to be faux (imitation),
you can see where the exterior coating is flaking off the beads next to the clasp.

Paul is correct, that is not a Mikimoto clasp. The pearls are either faux or badly damaged, thin nacre Akoyas. I don't think there is any value there.

They look imitation to me. In that first photo, the 3rd pearl from the left at the top has a flaw that looks just the way imitation pearls look when they begin to peel.

Hi, welcome to the forum! Thanks for the photos. I think I'm seeing glue in one place, and other residues - what would you think of cleaning them up and posting photos of the cleaned up strand, including one of the whole strand? Is the hook part of the clasp bent or cracked-damaged?

The folks gave it to you true, but if the pearls are graduated akoya, they might be pretty if cleaned up, even if not valuable. They might also be totally worn out, but why not give it a shot? I think 10k clasps were used with lesser grade akoyas, right?

Pearl Dreams, do you mean the circular spot on the pearl, or the flaky looking thing sticking up between pearls? I'm looking to learn from what you see, always...

Last edited:
The circular spot.

They do have a lot of something caked onto them, certainly. It can't hurt to clean them up so as to get a better look.

Dreamin_squaw, would you please take some nail polish remover and a rag, and swab the pearl next to either side of the clasp?

Acetone won't damage real pearls but it will likely damage fake ones. Only use the nail polish remover if you don't mind risking damage if they are fake.

Pearl Dreams, thank you for explaining that to her, I forgot. I was ​going to suggest scraping a pearl with a utility knife because plastic scrapes off so well, but what if she got hurt? Nail polish remover seemed safer :)

Last edited:
I sure will try the nail polish remover tomorrow. That is not glue you are seeing, that is the strand all frayed up. I know this thing is really old. just cant point a date for you. The clasp, I don't see anywhere that it is broken. I did a poor job at taking the photo's trying to not lose the loose pearls and trying to get a shot of the clasp latch to show the "m" on there, which I did a terrible job of. I didn't even think to get photo's of the back side of the clasp. Funny thing is, when I look through my loupe at it I can not see the color change on the pearl that shows in these photo's. I was wondering if maybe it was the flash of the camera along with the natural light clashing to make it look that way? I had them laid on a towel on a chair arm right by the open door to help with lighting. I will take new pic's tomorrow the way they are now and will take some after the polish remover cleaning. I will post these ASAP. thanks so much to all of you. This is my first dealings with pearls. trying to learn.

would you all mind if I post the other examples I have for you to look at as well? I know nothing about a pearl. I have pieces that look completely opposite from each other. I am lost. lol...
But I don't want to "hog up" your time either. I can tell by the threads here that you guys stay busy here at pearl-guide.
Don't want to wear out my welcome.

Feel free to post more photos. I'm not sure about the non-acetone remover. Acetone is a lot stronger. I would like to see the rest of the strand you already posted. Can you coil it up and get a close shot of the whole strand? :)

I didn't know the acetone in the nail polish remover can be used to test the pearls. I just love hanging around here.

DS, We are always interested in pearls and their stories! Instead of hanging out at the local coffee shop, we hang around here on the forum, happy to help out if we can.

- Or we hang out with our computers at the local coffee shop...

Bring them on! The more, the merrier :)

- Karin

I didn't know the acetone in the nail polish remover can be used to test the pearls. I just love hanging around here.

The idea is using acetone to clean the pearls. (Acetone does clean real pearls.)

Hmm, I will try this later today. We have some acetone in my husband's workshop and I'll sacrifice some fake pearls to see if the acetone damages them.

Last edited:
GG , she said the rest of the strand is in pieces because the string broke. I didn't notice that when I first read it. Still, if she clumps them all together we'd get an idea if they were once a graduated strand.

Dreamin, Since the string is broken already, that's one less worry, re washing the pearls and wetting the stringing material :) . Best thing to do right now is go up to the Search bar and type in cleaning pearls.
I suggested nail polish remover because of the color of whatever is coating your pearls, and the very defined edge of it in one of your pictures.

Please don't worry about overburdening. Folks here self-regulate, if they get too busy IRL they just take care of business and check in when they can.

Last edited:
Back