Can anyone identify this mark?

j.walker

These screw back earrings were my grandmothers’s. I know she went to Japan in the 70s. However, she may have inherited them from an older family member. When having the earrings appraised, my jeweler was stumped when she saw the mark. It is so small that I had to point it out to her. The pearls are very high quality and the setting says 14KT. I have truly done my homework and cannot find this mark anywhere. I also wondered if the maker could be identified by the screw tab – is that what it’s called? – which is this flower or scallop design. It occurred to me that the symbol surrounding the M may be the side view of an oyster.

Are these Mikimoto knock-offs? I would love help identifying by either the mark or the screw tab and the approximate date these earrings were created. Please feel free to correct any incorrect verbiage here. I am a newbie, and so grateful for this for forum. Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0162.png
    IMG_0162.png
    6 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0171.jpeg
    IMG_0171.jpeg
    856 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0170.jpeg
    IMG_0170.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0159.jpeg
    IMG_0159.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0214.png
    IMG_0214.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 46
The little flower design on the screw back knob would not be enough to identify them, I wouldn't think.

I searched through this website for maker's marks with an M inside a diamond or rhombus, with no success. https://www.langantiques.com/university/makers-marks-2/

Also this website: https://www.globalgemology.com/m.html#/

I searched Ruby Lane for pearl screw-back earrings also. No success.

Then I searched eBay for "14K vintage screw-back pearl dangle earrings", but saw nothing quite like them. However, earrings with that title description do sell! (I don't think you will need to know the maker to sell them, if that is why you are trying to learn the maker.)

It would not be Mikimoto as they use an M inside a shell that is quite distinctive. I also do not believe it is a Miki knock off as the shell mark is too different from that diamond shape.

They are cute! Would you wear them?

Absolutely. I wore them around the house today while I posted. (Hope you are chuckling.) They were in a box I received in the late 90s with Grandma’s costume jewelry-pearls in a cloth pouch. Had no idea they were special for years until I had a guy look at them at a pawn shop when selling some junk jewelry. He offered $50 for them and I got a bad feeling. Went with my instinct and kept them. He was actually kind of angry. Surely will never return to that store!

Thank you so much for your thoughts!

Good call not selling them. Those deserve to be worn and enjoyed! The sentimental value is a huge plus.

Very nice pearls with a nice earring design. Becareful with the ring that joins the dangle to the earring. It looks loose on one earring. I don't think the M hallmark is a Mikimoto knockoff, but the brand may have been trying to cash in on the Miki goodwill by looking vaguely similar.

Very nice pearls with a nice earring design. Becareful with the ring that joins the dangle to the earring. It looks loose on one earring. I don't think the M hallmark is a Mikimoto knockoff, but the brand may have been trying to cash in on the Miki goodwill by looking vaguely similar.
Thank you! I did see that and you are correct. I will have it looked at.

Back