Mikimoto or No?

Before the Remover test  (11).jpgBefore the Remover test  (14).jpgBefore the Remover test  (18).jpgBefore the Remover test  (1).jpg

these photos are before I used the nail polish remover. I hope they come through. Next are the "after" shots. Lol they are not good. I used this text just on one pearl that was off the strand, just incase. Glad I did.

After nail polish remover text  (3).jpgAfter nail polish remover text  (2).jpgAfter nail polish remover text  (4).jpgAfter nail polish remover text  (5).jpgAfter nail polish remover text  (6).jpg

These are the poor lil after affects. I have learned something here for sure. Thank you all so much. the other's I have I will not test , they are so cute I cant take a chance of destroying them. lol They came to me from a very special lady and will be cherished. I am still wanting to research some of the other stuff I have as well but they are not pearls, but vintage costume. I will gladly accept help being pointed in the right direction.
I will still load photo's of the others, just so you can see. I may never know where they originated from, but I know how they came to me and that is the most special thing about them.
I will continue to visit you all here and learn for sure. thanks so much to all of you

Wait! Don't go yet, what's under the flaky stuff? The photo is light blasted, that might just be the coating that is coming off in flakes. I've never heard of a 10k clasp used for fakes, although I suppose there's always a possibility. Please check under the flakes, OK?

Last edited:
I tried acetone on a fake pearl just now-- the coating came off entirely leaving only the bead.

Did it flake off like hers or dissolve like nail polish?

I immersed it in the acetone for a minute or two, and the coating loosened and slid off basically in one piece. That was a cheap pearl with a hard plastic bead inside.

I just repeated the experiment with another fake pearl that had an opalescent glass bead inside. This time I just wiped the pearl with acetone and put it down to wait and see what happened. The coating wrinkled up and flaked away onto my finger where I touched it. When it dried, I was able to remove the coating easily with my fingernail. It came off in strips.

Finally I used a swab to apply the acetone to an old Majorica imitation pearl that had already started to peel (I had bought the strand on eBay; the former owner had not cared for it well and the coating was rather dull.) It slowly became cloudy but did not wrinkle or slide off. I removed the top coating with my fingernail to reveal another, shinier layer of coating underneath (Majorica pearls have up to 40 layers of coating). I reapplied the acetone. This time it turned cloudy instantly.

I think it's pretty clear that different imitation pearl coatings behave differently but in the end the acetone is destructive.

Destructive to Non-Pearls.

I feel sad that the old lady thought she was leaving her friend nice pearls. I also feel amazed that a 10k clasp is on fakes. Sorry, I'm repeating myself, distressed. I'm hoping DreaminS will come back and say what's under the flaking, hoping there's pearl under the flakes. The coating on the last pearls each side has the yellowing and blocky-edge look of broken, aged, dried out lacquer, or glue.

With the Majorica, when the second layer clouded up, did you scrape it off and find another pretty layer?

Last edited:
Fascinating! Even though it's sad, the pictures are fabulous. Good job. We all went on a little journey together. :)

What a strange little subculture we are, journeying together...

I'm still here Lisac. I am so amazed at the true and honest support on this site. Yall are just great. ( southern coming out lol )
I didn't try anything else because I didn't know if I had already destroyed that pearl. ( remember this is the first I've ever dealt with a pearl, real or faux)
However, when I got them out today to do the rover test , I did realise that yes. They are graduating pearls. I didn't even notice before. I will do the cleaning pearls search that was suggested too.
I would feel better sending them to you guys than me destroying them like the melting witch on the wizard of oz. Lol
Now don't be to sad about my friend leaving me pearls that may not be the real deal. I took care of her daily and for a long time, she gave me more than any pearl or diamond every could. ( also taught me to crochet and I've made blankets for all the kids, queen bed size, ouch!, and we made baby hats together for our local hospitals with children cancer patients) ...
She left me so much costume jewelry its unreal. Some of those pieces are worth more than others as she said, not out much time into that yet, but where they came from is priceless. I havent lost a thing if not a single piece isn't worth a single copper penny. I just want to learn all I can. She.loved to teach. Ummmm if only I had a daughter, I could pass some work on to her. Lol
You guys are so awesome. I'm so happy I did a google search!

As promised , I will still share the other photos

Dreamin'_Sqaw,

There are lots of people who collect vintage costume jewelry, especially certain brands. Here's an example: our library recently purchased a book on the history of Napier jewelry (The Napier Co.: Defining 20th Century American Costume Jewelry.) The color plates are stunning and I can see why the jewelry is so collectible.

Sometime when you feel like it, look over any tags/clasps on your costume jewelry to see if there is a brand name, then search "Sold" listings on eBay for items of that brand. This will give you an idea of whether you can make money on eBay selling the costume jewelry.

Looking further at the photos in post 21, I really believe your pearls are imitation. The way the coating is around the drill holes is typical of fakes. In some pearls the coating extends beyond the drill hole; in others it has separated from around the hole. And acetone would not damage a genuine pearl.

But it seems you are still not sure. In post 12 you mentioned you have a loupe. You can use a 10x loupe to examine the surface of the pearls. Real pearl nacre looks smooth under 10x magnification while fake nacre-like coating looks relatively rougher. You can compare with any other pearls you have access to that are known to be real or imitation. Any local jeweler should be willing to let you look at the surface of genuine pearls in his case. And imitation pearls are easy to locate in shops so as to take a closer look.

Pearldreams,
Yes I have a 10x loupe. Trouble is they do look smooth. But I still agree with all of you here. I think imitation as well. It's a lot harder on me cause i simply no nothing about pearls real or faux. The coating around the drill hole, I still don't really understand what to look for. I have faith that you guys will get me educated.
As far as the other items. I have done as you suggested already. I have CORO, Boucher, van Dell, Napier, tarfari, Weiss, and so many more. I have looked at some of them by searching the makers mark/signature
Right now I am determined to learn about the pearl . I have never seen a site like pearl-guide before. You guys make me want to learn. You are very patient with newbies like me that know nothing at all.
I will have a cup of coffee in this shop anytime!! Lol

Dear Dreamin, Better make a trip to Cost Co and get a 3# bag of coffee beans.... then settle in :) Welcome!

3am here too pearl dreams. This site really is a coffee shop, the caffeine is working. Lol

Going to check out that site right now.

I'd like to recommend a book that has great photos and is loaded with up-to-date information on pearls.
It's a good bet that one of the libraries in your area has it (or if not, your library may purchase it at your request, or get it for you through Inter-Library Loan):

Pearl Buying Guide (updated 5th edition) by Renee Newman

This is the current edition:

http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Buying-...ywords=Pearl+buying+guide+updated+5th+edition

I am so addicted to the caffeine here that I am even using my cell when I'm away from the pc. Lol. Just letting you all know , I am not able to out the pics on here when using the phone. Or atleast I have not figured out how, funny my phone is usually the camera I use too. I just email to my pc and wa-laa load them here for yall. Soon as I'm back to pc I will put the other photos up. I have not forgotten.

Back