Mens stuff

Kelo

Community member
Where's all the men's stuff? Apart from single pearl chokers and triple pearl wrist bands - heaven forbid we call them bangles - where are all the designers? What are they all doing? I'd rather not have 3,000 variations of a choker. :)

Men seem to like girls in pearls, but Smetzler has a very manly pearl brooch he wears on his suit where an American flag could go. It is stunning.

Cuff links, tie tacks, button studs- there don't seem to be many ways for a pearl-wearing man to go. I saw Randy Jackson of AM Idol on Larry King a few years ago. He wore a white pearl necklace and earrings. He looked great, once you got over the shock.

Hi Kelo,

Problem is that a designer needs to design for most of the pearl wearers or be prepared to keep stock for years before selling it. I can make you up anything you want (I hope) but naturally, or I think, I male would have particular preferences as to what they wanted or would wear. So you tell me what you want and I will make it up. :)
No obligation of course. If interested email me on dawncee@iprimus.com.au or on the private section of the Pearl Guide.

Dawn - aka Bodecia
eBay ID dawncee333 but don't hold that against me. :)

Other then that we do a lot of cufflinks, some tuxedo studs and the off pendant(I wear one often.).

Thank you, guys, men seem to be lumbered with precious little compared to the ladies lol. At least you all went easy on me :D

I've made custom man pieces, but even in Hawaii where the culture promotes more freedom, I hardly ever get requests. Like Dawn, it's not worth keeping pieces, but I do keep "man-pearls" ready. I do have a gentleman that comes by the market with a really great Tahitian hoop.

By any stretch of the imagination I am liberated from constraint, shall we say, lol. I honestly rarely care about what I wear, not that I'm flamboyant or anything, but I'd like there to be a choice now and then. I would gladly ask for a piece to be made for me but I would have to leave it up to the designer to fashion me something as I'm completely awful at design other than saying 'I'd like a hoop or bracelet' etc. I'm a challenge to myself most of the time lol.

I still want to get you into an "ogle" pearl. There are bolo ties with pearls. I think Smetzler may have a bolo tie abalone pearl. I suggest a single, large South Sea pearl of any color as a lapel pin or a tie tack. Maybe even a large baroque. Or maybe a threesome of round ones as a bolo tie. It just depends on whether you wear suits enough. The bolo can be worn more casually- with just a shirt for casual, or as a tie for a little more formality. Or on top of the tie for more formality.

My ultimate suggest would be to pick out a magnificent pearl and get CliClasp's system installed on it. That way you can have a variety of thongs depending on the occasion, a rubber one for surfing, a gold one for dress, etc LINK

Yes, me too! lol I love that Cliclasp system. Any time I've worn something I've always wondered when it would disappear because the clasp had broken. I like some of the lariats I've seen and it may well be that in the future I can have loose pearls to add and subtract when the mood hits me. I also like a lot of the bracelets; as long as the pearls don't know they're unisex I wont care either but I do draw the line at wearing a rope of pearls wound twenty times around my wrists...but then again....

Anyhoo, that ogling pearls is still out there and I'll know it when I see it and true to form it wont be quite what I was expecting it to be, never is. ;)

Thankfully, I gave up wearing suits when I started my horse dentistry business - suits didn't quite fit in in those circles - so tie tacks are out unless I feel like wearing them differently.

A horse dentist. You hang with cowboys, or polo players or racing types and/or other horse people for work at least. CliClasp or a bolo tie. Good luck finding and choosing your pearl(s)!!!

I think I have seen a round, gold mesh chain done as a CliClasp. Anna is quite the designer, so you could probably get her help to design your piece. She will pick pearls for you or put the clasp in a pearl or pearls of your choice. Hers is a class act when compared to the leather thong.

Let's see...... a golden SS with a platinum chain. A lustrous white SS with yellow or white gold- or silver chain- or any number of pearls, with several choices of chain. A gold SS, a silver SS and a large dark Tahitian with one chain or three chains. That would be quite the pearl wardrobe........When you are feeling really fancy, add an abalone pearl for good measure. You'll be masculine and unforgettable with a set of CliClasps to call on.

LOL I'm usually unforgettable anyway - I'm told!

Can't do the dentistry any more, sadly, wish I could. I've been thinking along much the same lines as you. I'm more partial to white gold or platinum rather than yellow gold. Having said that I sometimes buy gold (22K) in India and that's usually very yellow, much more yellow than is normally liked here in the UK. I think to cover all the bases I should buy one of everything. I can't stand buying something 'just in case' but in this instance I'm going to go overboard. I think a HUUUGE black(ish) Tahitian is in order with a platinum chain. :D

I forgot to ask, do I just email Anna and ask if she'll do the work or do I have to be referred to her by someone who has used her?

Last edited:
Well. I'll never forget you!
Sounds like you have a plan. A fantastic plan. Please keep us apprised!

Email Anna through her site, or send her a PM. She is great to work with. I have been working with her for months on a pearl with meteorite piece (without the CliClasp). It is designed and almost paid for. (The price is very reasonable) Then I want to start adding her system to a couple of pearls I already have from Sarah of Kojima Pearls. I've wanted one for years and finally, it is within my grasp.

Last edited:
Thank you! That's what a dear friend in Corpus Christi always tells me lmao.

As long as your meteorite isn't the Extinction Level Event type then it sounds very interesting. I saw Anna had a nice metallic 'something' with a pearl so that might be a 'should buy' later.

If it weren't for the law suit I wouldn't be doing much planning of anything! LOL So, here's hoping it all pans out right and I will indeed keep you up to speed in my hunt for the 'ogle'. LOL

How about a Tahitian bolo tie?!

Attachments

• 6-21-10 b.jpg
    6-21-10 b.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 42
wouldn't that be a look, a bare chested man in the pearl bolo tie - heck why not throw him on the back of a horse!

Back