Mabe pearls?

battah

I just received a mabe pearl ring that I ordered, and it's lovely. But I'm curious, since this is the first mabe pearl I see in person, plus this ring is inexpensive so I don't expect insane quality. The luster of the pearl looks less like a pearl and more like mother of pearl. I assume that's the normal look for mabe pearls?

I'm trying out the style because I loved the design online. If I find myself wearing it a lot, I plan to have a jeweler I like make me a gold one with a nicer mabe pearl (I would die for a Sea of Cortez mabe ring!)

Let's see if this link works:

The one I received is a white pearl, not dyed pink, so it really has a MOP look. It's pretty and I'll enjoy wearing it, but I was curious about mabe pearls generally.

Here's mine, because I know what you mean about the mother of pearl look; these were my mother's:

Attachments

• DSC00891
    DSC00891
    60.4 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for the photo! In person, this pearl looks a lot like your photo (those earrings are lovely, btw). I don't know how to describe it, but particularly at the base, it looks different. It almost has a kind of transparent look to it?

I think I prefer the look of a mabe pearl for a ring. I love a big ring, but not high-profile, so it fits the bill.

Mine doesn't have a transparent look, it's more like a silky textural sheen in parts. I have to admit I don't wear them a lot-- they're a bit knob-like. :D

Last edited:
My avatar is one of a pair of Sea of Cortez mabe earrings. It is a middling grade of mabe, hence affordable, and a terrific look! I like their webstore!

There is a big range of quality in mabe pearls. The better mabes have depth to the nacre, but they are all pretty. I recognize the ring = very nice! :)

My avatar is one of a pair of Sea of Cortez mabe earrings. It is a middling grade of mabe, hence affordable, and a terrific look! I like their webstore!

Caitlin is modest. Middling for Sea of Cortez puts other mabe pearls to shame! :cool:

Caitlin, I just saw your reply! I was drooling over your pearl this morning. I love love love love SoC pearls, their colors are just incredible.

GemGeek, I love that you recognized it! It's kind of crazy and enormous, but I love it. There's a similar bangle that I'm drooling over, too. Must.be.good.

My avatar is a SoC mabe ring, and I understand what you are saying about the "mother of pearl" look. (my picture really doesn't do the SoC mabe justice, I was wearing it again this week and almost rear-ended someone while staring at the color changes while I was driving!) A bit more satiny and slightly opaque than my round pearls. But, low profile and a good choice for a ring! I'd be interested in pics of the one what you have if you can post some!

Last edited:
I love the setting; would you please try to link it again?

It's not me being modest, it's SoC! they graded it at a level I can afford. If it is a color-shifting luster you like, changing overtones; this is the pearl. It is beyond the iridescence seen in other baroque pearls. they are color shifting when the right light comes along. Otherwise they are a silvery gray that is stunning as an accessory in itself. It flatters both my blue eye color and the gray in my hair.

BTW, I took the photo above, in the light of the SoC store in Guaymas (GemGeek and Jeremy were there, too) where I bought them. With a 3 mp camera. Had I had an iphone at the time- it probably would have looked better.

I so love the hand made quality with a not quite circle, and the dips that the silver follows. the silver beading around the bezel is an extremely old style. it is seen in a lot of SWestern Indian jewelry, as well as Mexican jewelry, since forever.

I am sure the Navajo and other tribes learned silversmithing from people who lived in what is called Mexico, today, though that pattern as so many others, may have come from the Moorish silversmiths who influenced Spain at the time, and were also imported into Mexico. Before I ever learned any history, that pattern was a favorite of the local silversmiths in Arizona, so it was local to me. I was initially surpised at how universal it is, even though it is not that common outside the SW (which includes the bottom half of the Sonoran desert, even if it is in Mejico).(the top half of the Sonoran desert is in the county where Tucson is. Tucson and Guaymas are the two ends of the Sonoran desert, sister cities.

Last edited:
I love mabe pearls for rings. I currently have my eye on this one...$(KGrHqNHJ!0FHTQ!-kdeBR3H!+rwfg~~60_57.jpg The colors are amazing and I specially like the pink in it!
Just bought a south sea baroque yesterday from Agustus ...so I have to wait a little bit to get this one ....

Beautiful! Who wouldn't love a ring with a pearl like that? Actually, I have a soc pearl ring from Care Ehret. ;)

That is a beautiful ring! That just made me press the buy button just now on that SoC mabe pearl from C Ehert :D

Back