First time buyer

Emc

Hi I’m buying a ring for my partner and I’m looking at ones with pearl inlays and have a couple questions I’m hoping someone can answer:
1. Most of the rings I like have crushed pearl for the inlay. I assume this would still lose its nacre, are there any guesses for how long it would take that to happen? (assuming he’s wearing it daily, taking it off to wash hands or dishes, etc)
2. Would a jeweler be able to replace a crushed pearl inlay?
3. Any other helpful information to keep in mind while I make my decision?

Picture below of one ring in the style I’m considering from HeartwoodRingDesigns on Etsy. I’m leaning towards something with metal on the inside lining but with an exterior like this.

il_794xN.955875190_ietz.jpg

Thanks!

Nice ring!
I find it hard to gauge durability with items I have never used before...this would be the case.
But if properly manufactured it could have good durability.
I gave my wife a nacre encrusted bracelet many years ago...maybe 20 years? You know, rings, bracelets and watches get the most "violence" out of life. She used this item until 2022 when some of the nacre pieces finally broke.
Wish I had a better example.

1. Most of the rings I like have crushed pearl for the inlay. I assume this would still lose its nacre, are there any guesses for how long it would take that to happen? (assuming he’s wearing it daily, taking it off to wash hands or dishes, etc)
2. Would a jeweler be able to replace a crushed pearl inlay?
3. Any other helpful information to keep in mind while I make my decision?

If the pearls are crushed, the inlay would be solid nacre, so it wouldn't rub off the way thin nacre might in a strand. I assume it would be coated with some sort of resin as well. I have a friend who makes rings like this in Hawaii. I recently sent him a small bag of crushed pearls, loose pearls and pearl powder for him to experiment with.

Inlay is typically done with Mother of Pearl. This isn't something a jeweler would likely be able to help you with. It's more of a wood-working craft. You see inlay in guitars, for example. I have a wooden flute that had MOP inlay added to it after it was created, so it can be done and redone as needed, as far as I can tell.

You might consider having an extra ring made - one to beat up and one for special occasions.

Back